• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Elegant chicken leg presentations

Mussina

Brined, floured in AP flour seasoned with salt, pepper, and paprika, and pan-fried in a mixture of half butter-half schmaltz.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I love chicken legs on the charcoal grill. Season with salt and pepper, grill over indirect heat for about an hour. Baste with barbecue sauce (I like Bull's Eye original thinned down with an equal portion of white vinegar, add a shot of mustard and hot sauce if you like) and finish over the somewhat cooled down coals until you get some nice browning and char. Devour immediately.

If by "legs" you mean drumsticks - then no - I have never seen a WOW presentation. If, however, you mean the whole leg including the thigh then I recall a presentation that impressed me. The thigh was boned out and stuffed and the drumstick left attached and as is. I wish I could tell you where I recall seeing this but at the moment it escapes me.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I vote for a good homemade chicken and dumplings,pile the legs in a stock pot,add cold water to cover and simmer for around 2 hours remove chicken,let cool,shred chicken and add mirepoix and chicken back to stock-simmer while making dumplings(i prefer drop but some folks go for rolled)season TT with salt and pepper and some fresh parsley,add dumplings,cover for10 mins on low simmer.Comfrot food so good ,it,s like hugging mommy lol :wub:

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

If by "legs" you mean drumsticks - then no - I have never seen a WOW presentation. 

For WOW, high class presentation, I'm with Anna N. Drumsticks have always entranced me when they are presented similar to what they really are: the closest part of the chicken to the ground. Dishes that play off of a bourgeiois aesthetic I have of them are the ones that pique my interest most.

Perhaps that's because we see too many images of barbarian kings tearing turkey drumsticks to pieces with their teeth.

The passion of chicken legs and thighs is being able to throw delicacy to the wind and tear into the skin. Why try to change that?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

One of the greatest things I ever learned on eGullet was to either cut off the end of the chicken leg or to at least sever all of the tendons and skin at the bottom of the leg. Makes it just that much more succulent.

But, one of my favorite preps, riffed from Michael Field, is to brown them, remove from skillet, toss in a whole mess of whole, peeled shallots. Return chicken to pan, cover with a lid and cook over very low heat until done. Yummy, and your house will smell divine.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

All About Braising has a great recipe for chicken legs using prunes and olives. I've made it twice now, to rave reviews. A note, though: if you want it to look pretty, use the white wine recipe, not the red wine variation. Though tasty, purple chicken is not exactly attractive.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I personally prefer Coq au Vin when made with legs and thighs. It's exactly a dish that screams great visual presentation, but I like it a lot.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

There is an Emeril Lagasse recipe over on Foodnetwork.com for something like Stuffed Chicken Legs in Puff Pastry with Andouille Cream...no picture, but sounds impressive.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

One of the greatest things I ever learned on eGullet was to either cut off the end of the chicken leg or to at least sever all of the tendons and skin at the bottom of the leg.  Makes it just that much more succulent.

But, one of my favorite preps, riffed from Michael Field, is to brown them, remove from skillet, toss in a whole mess of whole, peeled shallots.  Return chicken to pan, cover with a lid and cook over very low heat until done.  Yummy, and your house will smell divine.

Yes, for an elegant presentation, cut the end of the drumstick bone off & then you can scrape the meat toward the other end to make a really plump, round portion of meat. I've seen the same technique used for the 'drumette' portion of the wing.

One of the greatest things I ever learned on eGullet was to either cut off the end of the chicken leg or to at least sever all of the tendons and skin at the bottom of the leg.  Makes it just that much more succulent.

But, one of my favorite preps, riffed from Michael Field, is to brown them, remove from skillet, toss in a whole mess of whole, peeled shallots.  Return chicken to pan, cover with a lid and cook over very low heat until done.  Yummy, and your house will smell divine.

Yes, for an elegant presentation, cut the end of the drumstick bone off & then you can scrape the meat toward the other end to make a really plump, round portion of meat. I've seen the same technique used for the 'drumette' portion of the wing.

exactly....AKA chicken lolipops, had them recently at a cuban place marinated in a mojo I think and served around a mound of avocado....quite yummy and cute too.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks everyone for the great advice - I combined a bunch of it. I did the drumstick lollipop thing (after cutting off the end of the bone and removing the tendons)- salt, pepper and flour, pan seared and then finished roasted in the oven (with shallots) with a parchment lid. I loved the presentation -- it was exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks!!! (this site is amazing)

Thanks everyone for the great advice - I combined a bunch of it. I did the drumstick lollipop thing (after cutting off the end of the bone and removing the tendons)- salt, pepper and flour, pan seared and then finished roasted in the oven (with shallots) with a parchment lid. I loved the presentation -- it was exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks!!! (this site is amazing)

I too love Coq au vin with the "lowly chicken leg." However my favorite of all time is MOLE! Braised leg in chocolate, chilis and cylantro served over rice can't be beat!

Besides Mole and Coq au vin any type of braising would be good, but make sure to crisp up the skin in a broiler otherwise you have unsavory soggy skin with yummy fall off the bone meat.

Cheers

Life is so brief that we should not glance either too far backwards or forwards…therefore study how to fix our happiness in our glass and in our plate.

A.L.B. Grimod de la Reyniere

'Almanach des gourmands'

I wouldn't call this elegent but I just made a batch of chicken legs for staff meal today; overnight marinade of coconut milk, curry paste, lemongrass and a bit of cream. I dregged them in season flour and deep fried them. I turned the marinade into a quick sauce and served fresh cilantro biscuits on the side. Chicken legs can be good, just have to treat em right.

Yours in Food,

James Valvo

Chef de Cuisine

Tribute

I dunno if this is particularly elegant, but I really like the Chinese approach to chicken legs, or poultry on the bone in general, which is to take a cleaver and whack right through the bones making approximately equal chunks of meat-still-on-bone. A little tricky to eat without making a mess, but a nice alternative to using boneless meat in stirfries, stews, etc., as the bone is still present to give its flavor to the dish as it cooks.

?previewpic=HofmannExam-October2005%2FDSC01180.jpg

This was the dish I made for my final exam at cooking school. click here for a larger pic.

basically it's both the drumstick and the tigh, the former braised, and the latter stuffed with shrimp and roasted in the oven, then finished on a pan for a nice crispy skin.

The sauce is a reduction of the braising stock, made with the usual veggies plus shrimp heads (short explanation, it's actually a bit more complicated since I needed to show several techniques).

the garnishes are potato chips, asparragus, boletus and chive oil.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

?previewpic=HofmannExam-October2005%2FDSC01180.jpg

This was the dish I made for my final exam at cooking school. ...

Now that's a WOW! preparation. Congratulations! I would love to be that accomplished.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog