• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best dish you had in New York in 2005

Pan

What was it? OK, perhaps it's too hard to settle on just one. I suppose I would go with the Pumpkin Tortelli at Hearth and the Mushroom Farrotto at Lupa. I have to admit I feel a bit torn about not including any of the great dishes from Spicy & Tasty and Grand Sichuan in such high company, though, and then there was that delicious dish at Seoul Garden...

Your reminiscences?

By the way, if you want some inspiration, look at this similarly-named thread in the Vancouver, British Columbia, and Western Canada forum.

Michael aka "Pan"

I only made one trip to New York this year, but the chorizo crusted cod I had in February at the dining room at The Modern was one of the two or three best things I had to eat all year.

This was one of my first indications of a great trend I've been seeing more and more of on restaurant menus this year - pork and seafood, mostly with a Spanish or Italian accent.

Bill Russell

not really a specific dish per se, but... during the cheese course, chanterelle served up a hoch ybrig that quite literally turned my world upside down about this time last year. i've been loving cave aged gruyeres and other swisses for some time now, but this turned the year into a bit of a hunt for something as good.

the rolf beeler versions at whole foods and murray's were not even close, artisanal couldn't match it, garden of eden didn't even try, etc. etc. etc. *sigh*

it's a shame that only one other course that night would have merited a return visit.

The Tandoori-style Salmon at Devi - the most outstanding dish I have ever eaten.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

This ain't easy. Can I start off with two?

The lobster in a velvety porcini reduction at Bouley Upstairs. Never tasted or experienced a sc with such texture. I had to touch it. He really is the king of all sauciers.

The sweetbreads in a balsamic reduction commingled w/foie gras terrine at Montrechet. Pure decadence. (this place deserves the respect and attn it used to garner!)

Edited by Eatmywords (log)

That wasn't chicken

Not in Any order....but all vividly remembered.

Porcini risotto Cafe Gray

Uni and Toro tasting Menu ....Yasuda

Smoked salmon belly on binco tan Charcoal.....Megu

Foie Gras Skewers........Megu

Ris de Veau.........Casa Mono

Razor Clams a la plancha....... casa mono

Bread Service..........Gilt

Hush puppies...........maroons

Callotte of Ribeye.....Per Se

Pepper oil.........WD 50

Oxtail Rav/squab liver sauce.....Babbo

Lobster Broth amuse at Per Se

Cafe Grey Short Ribs

House Made Liverwurst at the Modern.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

If I had to choose one it would be:

Fricasee of Seasonal Mushrooms with Creamy Polenta and Truffle Reduction - L'Impero

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I was excited about this thread particularly to express my amazement at the chorizo-crusted cod at The Modern, but there it is in the second post! Well, let me just say that I second that recommendation, and that the bed of navy bean puree which it is presented perfectly accentuates the fish and makes the flavors really pop. Even the foam (I think it was a sherry foam) seemed appropriate, and not dated, which is a testament to Kreuther's cooking.

A second dish would be the manchego cheesecake at wd-50. What a great dessert! (I have yet to eat in the main room, though I will be doing so shortly.)

The Cote du Boeuf for two at Balthazar was delicious, my husband said it was his favorite NYC dish also.

My son said his was a pasta dish with lamb ragu at Roberto's on Arthur Avenue.

My daughter said it was a Starwich she ate at Fat Guy's reception at Tavern on the Green.

If I had to choose one it would be:

Fricasee of Seasonal Mushrooms with Creamy Polenta and Truffle Reduction - L'Impero

Meeee too. I kept trying to think of other dishes that really stood out in my memory from this past year, but found myself coming back again and again to that beautiful dish from L'Impero. :wub:

This would be a very difficult choice as I was fortunate enough to have many outstanding dishes in New York this past year. If I had to choose one though it would be the woodcock I had in upstate NY last January as described in this post.

Runnersup include the Shrimp cannelloni, chorizo, thai basil at WD-50 gallery_8158_2209_33891.jpg,

Black Sea Bass, fragrant coconut juice, parsnips and lime at Jean Georgesgallery_8158_2217_28034.jpg

the nanzenji soup with house made tofu at Bouley Upstairs gallery_8158_2216_76002.jpg

and of course the Broiled squab, onion confit, preserved lemons and squab jus from Jean-George gallery_8158_2217_115201.jpg

My best dessert was probably the Cider sorbet, pine needle gelee from Sam Mason at WD-50 gallery_8158_2209_70007.jpg

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I only ate 5 meals in NYC this year (7 if you could continental breakfast at the hotel), so I don't have a lot to choose from, but the second course of our tasting menu at Annisa gets my vote. Soup dumplings filled with foie gras mousse and jicama, topped with a bit of seared foie gras, and sitting on a drizzle of reduced black vinegar.

Yum.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Best dish:

Sorrel Soup with Roasted Foie, at the Modern

Runners up:

Wild Mushroom Dumplings with Black Truffle Emulsion, at Breeze

Foie Gras Soup Dumpling, at Anissa

Anago Sushi with Butter Ponzu, at Jewel Bakko

Black Olive Claufutis with Almond Sorbet, at WD~50

Blue Hill's FALL VEGETABLES, Raw and Marinated, Pistachios and Mushroom Gelee. Unparalleled.

An improvised dish from Gilt, which was a bastardy hybrid of both their Striped Bass dish with components from their Cod dish. Brilliant and haunting.

il

This thread inspired me to go to the Modern yesterday for lunch to try the chorizo encrusted cod. It was fantastic. To my taste the beef "parmentier" was even better. Probably only because I find cod rather mild and untinteresting in flavor (though the chorizo did wonders for the dish). I was amused to learn that the cod came from the fish pier in Chatham, MA which I can see from the living room window of my parents' house, and where several of my childhood friends now work as fishermen.

I had only eaten in the bar at the Modern before, which was excellent, but a four course tasting lunch in the main dining room was as good or better in terms of preparation, presentation and creativity as anything I've had in NYC in the past year. In big step beyond what they're serving in the bar. Also a relative bargain at $52 prior to wine, tip and tax. Outstanding! Thanks for the tip fellow egulleteers.

momofuku grits with maine sweet shrimp and bacon and 65 degrees egg

the summer corn done in a similar manner, with bacon instead of the shrimp, was heads above this dish, in my opinion..

i had at end of summer so the late summer corn was folded into the grits;

two's company