• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dishes you -have- to eat at the restaurant

Jason Perlow

Wow, no one mentioned nachos? Incredible to start, ghastly, if left to sit for any amount of time.

Grilled chicken salads, or the like, where the chicken is hot, greens are cold. You can never get them just so. Could be just because I hate cold chicken.

Mee Krob, deep fried noodles, with various bits, covered with a sweet sticky sauce. I've never seen a noodle fully dissolve before, but there it was, when I reheated it, it was a VERY thick sauce, various bits, and...not a noodle to be seen.

Pad Thai doesn't do it, either, or any thing made with rice sticks. Those have zero holding power.

Guacamole.

Egg rolls.

See, pizza only gets better with age, for me. I *love* pizza reheated to a crisp bubbly melty brown, in the toaster oven. French fries, and battered fried leftovers also do well with a run through the toaster oven. I love my toaster oven.

Edited by Lilija (log)

Typical U.S. breakfast type foods: eggs (any style except boiled), bacon, home fries, toast (especially toast), grits, pancakes, waffles. None of it travels well especially in a sweaty styrofoam container. Trying to reheat it in the microwave only makes it worse.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Typical U.S. breakfast type foods: eggs (any style except boiled), bacon, home fries, toast (especially toast), grits, pancakes, waffles.  None of it travels well especially in a sweaty styrofoam container.  Trying to reheat it in the microwave only makes it worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything with fresh, soft corn tortillas involved; the best tortillas are labor-intensive, straight from the griddle, and cannot last more than a matter of seconds before their decline; even the commercial factory tortillas, which are inferior to begin with, start to slide downhill exceedingly fast, and either disintegrate into mush or, if reheated, become combination of razorblades and gruel.

Jamie M. Forbes

"Everything I know about life I learned in the kitchen."