• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dishes you -have- to eat at the restaurant

Jason Perlow

I know this sounds like a pretty stupid topic -- virtually all food should really be eaten immediately after cooking. But I'm talking about dishes that so severely degrade during the ride home that its almost pointless ordering for take-out or delivery.

Case in point -- General Tso's Chicken, or one of its derivatives, such as Sesame Chicken, Orange Beef ,etc. -- those Chinese dishes that are deep fried and sauteed, that have a total effective crispyness life of about 10 minutes, and will instantly degrade into a mushy, clumpy mess if you put them in a delivery container and steam enters the picture. Its an amazing dish when you eat it at your favorite Chinese restaurant, when it comes right out of the wok all glazed and crispy -- but after a 5 minute ride to your house in a delivery container, its glop.

What other dishes are like that? In some sense, you could also say that about pizza.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Deep fried anything gets soggy pretty fast

Some Pizza (DiLorenzo's Hudson Street being my best example)

Anything breaded is better right away

Anything battered is better right away (never order Fish n' Chips for later)

Salads

Almost all desserts

These dishes are the karmic balance for all those things like soups and stews and chili that are better the next day.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Anything battered is better right away (never order Fish n' Chips for later)

There is a partial exception to this rule. Some fish can be deep or pan fried, then marinated and served cold. Herring, for example. But fish served this way generally is just lightly coated with flour, not battered, so I take it back: you're right on target when you talk about "anything battered".

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Sushi. I've had sushi that has sat for a bit but nothing beats sitting at the bar and having the chef hand you a plate he made 10 seconds ago.

I think it depends on the type of sushi. Most straightforward maki rolls travel home pretty well, provided you eat them right away. If you throw it in the fridge, sushi deteriorates quickly, though, because the rice gets hard.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Sushi. I've had sushi that has sat for a bit but nothing beats sitting at the bar and having the chef hand you a plate he made 10 seconds ago.

I think it depends on the type of sushi. Most straightforward maki rolls travel home pretty well, provided you eat them right away. If you throw it in the fridge, sushi deteriorates quickly, though, because the rice gets hard.

I don't know I like maki when the rice is still a little bit warm. So for me it still taste better right from the sushi chef.

Spaghetttti,

I couldnt agree more.. There is nothing more upsetting then getting a soggy grill cheese... I can see pulling off the aluminum container with the water dripping from the top lid.. The cheese has reformed, making it cold and thick, the bread is wet.. Ugh... It then needs to be heavily salted and dipped in ketchup to save..

A tie for me is French Fries.. Delivered fries, all starched and cold.. Nothing is worse.. If I get them delivered I have the oven already on waiting to reheat..

The second I get my food delivered, I take all the tops off the food to stop that horrible steaming process..

Cesar Salad is up there on the do not dilly dally list..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Frickles, draft beer--you just HAVE to drink that stuff there, elsewise you'll hit a bump and spill it--ditto for flaming drinks, reubens and any other grilled sandwich, BLT's unless you like your tomato soaking through everything and then sliding out the backside, medium rare steaks also travel remarkably poorly.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Gai phuket - crispy chicken stir fried with onions, chili & basil.

So good hot out of the kitchen, not quite as good at home. But if I do take some home, I eat the leftovers cold. Reheating it makes it taste horrible !

Daniel, I am with you on the fries..

Eggrolls

Quesadillas

Tacquitos

Any type pf pressed sandwich; pannini, cuban... just not as good once the bread loses it's crisp.

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Samosas. They have to be freshly cooked or the pastry gets soggy.

I'm not mentioning the ones made with filo dough. I want the ones with real hand made pastry. (Hmmm? Maybe I should make some.)

The classic Philly Cheesesteak might be one of the most extreme examples of this, especially wit' Whiz. It's pretty sublime seconds off the grill, but it starts getting pretty bad pretty fast. I don't like them wrapped at all, just open on a piece of wax paper. That's the beauty of the dumpy little take-out stands, you can be eating the thing 30 seconds after it's off the grill.

Jumping cuisines, I just had some Roti Canai at a Malaysian place the other night, and it's amazing, I was making quick work of it, but it was significantly better at the beginning than it was maybe 5 minutes later when I finished it. (Roti Canai is a really thin crepe-like pancake, served with a curry dipping sauce. For a few minutes, it has an amazing elastic-yet-crispy thing going on.)

And of course, there's tempura...

(fixed typo)

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

toasted roll at my office cafeteria...they wrap the plates in plastic

poor little squishy roll

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

In Las Vegas, sushi restaurants refuse to do takeout because the quality degrades too quickly in the heat. This might be the case in other warm climates too, but we learned in the hard way in Vegas.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Salt & Pepper Squid. They turn rubbery, soggy and so sad if not eaten immediately

I dunno. I've managed to eat leftover S&P squid by wrapping them in a bit of foil and heating them in the toaster oven for a few minutes. They aren't perfect, but much better than a lot of other leftovers that can't be resurrected at all.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

And of course, there's tempura...

I agree, philadining. One of my top restaurant meals from last year was at a tempura bar. There's nothing & nobody in the way between you and the chef who just deep-fried a shrimp tempura that's immediately placed on your plate, ready to be consumed. :wub:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Jumping cuisines, I just had some Roti Canai at a Malaysian place the other night, and it's amazing, I was making quick work of it, but it was significantly better at the beginning than it was maybe 5 minutes later when I finished it. (Roti Canai is a really thin crepe-like pancake, served with a curry dipping sauce. For a few minutes, it has an amazing elastic-yet-crispy thing going on.)

Chuck it in a toaster oven if you takeaway it home. Works every time--but not so well for the chewier and more elastic Malaysian-style ones.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog