• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Marzano Tomatoes DOP

merstar

I need 28 oz or 35 oz cans, a case or two per order. Anyone have a good, reliable source?

Not sure if it's good enough, but after spending lots of $$ on San Marzano cans, we happened on the Costco "San Marzano" large cans, Nina brand. Very likely "canned" in San Marzano but tomatoes from elsewhere (my guess -- mainly because of the low price). However, they are remarkably tomatoey and we love them.

Hope it helps and saves some $ :rolleyes:

Check out some fairly extensive discussions here and here.

After reading the discussions, it appears that there are two groups of San Marzano users.

(1) I'll buy the real DOP can, hang the cost; it will be better.

(2) There are good substitutes worth looking for.

I'm in the latter group, since the real thing doesn't come my way, and I'm suspicious of products controlled to keep the price high.

A year ago I found a widely available substitute, 'President's Choice Splendido', grown in farms adjacent to San Marzano. This was sold at $1.50 per can, and seemed good to me, better than the North American product.

P.C. is part of the the Weston group, and available at Loblaws and other stores.

After reading the discussions, it appears that there are two groups of San Marzano users.

I'm in the latter group, since the real thing doesn't come my way, and I'm suspicious of products controlled to keep the price high.

A year ago I found a widely available substitute, 'President's Choice Splendido', grown in farms adjacent to San Marzano. This was sold at $1.50 per can, and seemed good to me, better than the North American product.

P.C. is part of the the Weston group, and available at Loblaws and other stores.

I have not had this particular product from president's Choice, but I have previously found all their products to be of exceptional quality. Unfortunately they are no longer carried by our local supermarkets.

The problem is with inferior tomatoes that try to pawn themselves off as San Marzano. I'm not sure that San Marzano tomatoes are artificially controlled, at least no more so than any other superior product from a particular area. Of course that doesn't mean they are the only ones that can produce superior tomatoes and if there are other quality alternatives then they deserve business and recognition as well.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

From everything I have read, the whole key to the taste of the San Marzanos is that they are grown in the soil of San Marzano, which apparently possesses unique characteristics as it is volcanic soil (or at least partly). As such, to me, buying the non-D.O.P. versions are a waste of money, not necessarily any better than good quality imported canned tomatoes (and maybe not even that good). There is nothing special about having a cannery in San Marzano from what I can tell.

Personally, I notice a difference between the D.O.P. and non-D.O.P. tomatoes, particularly with a basic red sauce. I am not saying that good sauces can't be made without D.O.P. San Marzanos. However, if the focus is on the tomato's flavor and you don't have a good source for fresh and don't want to use canned cherry tomatoes, I think they are worth the money.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I've had good luck ordering from here:  http://www.sanmarzanoimports.com/

The on line form is cumbersome, better to call in your order.  Another plus, they don't mark up the shipping.  Got 2 large cases (almost 50 lbs total) shipped for $12, UPS cost.

Been very satisfied wuth the product.

I've had La Bella before, and I agree, they're very good. And the shipping is very reasonable. I assume that was $12 total for 2 cases, not $12 per case? BTW, are those 28 oz cans? Thanks.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Look and see if you can get San Marzano Tomatoes which will have either one of these listed Producers on the label, then check if you want to pay the price.

Pomodoro San Marzano dell’Agro Sarnese Nocerino Dop

San Marzano Tomatoes ( canned )

PRODUTTORI:

MARRAZZO CARMINE

Via Ammaturo 22

84016 PAGANI

ITALIE

DOMENICO VITALE S.R.L.

Sede e Stab.: Zona ASI loc. Boscofangone

Polvica di Nola –(NA) . Italy

NOCERA CONSERVE

Via Fossa Imperatore 5

Nocera Inferiore (SA)

LODATO GENNARO & C. spa

Fraz. S.Maria a Favore

84083 CASTEL S.GIORGIO

ITALIE

ALFONSO SELLITTO spa

Franzione S.Eustachio

84080 MERCATO S.SEVERINO

ITALIA

F.LLI D'ACUNZI srl

Via Portaromana 85

84015 NOCERA SUPERIORE

ITALIA

ASSOCIAZIONE PRODUTTORI ORTOFRUTTICOLI SALERNITANI – APOC SALERNO

Via Picenza, 76 - 84100 - Salerno – SA

Peter

I tried those based on your recommendations. I dont really like them as much as SM. I recently bought 2 cases though, because they were marked down to 49 cents a can. I use them for my personal chef clients and they dont mind them. I find them too acidy. I just bought the PC organic line of canned tomatoes and I made a roasted tomato basil soup and it was excellent. Those were on sale for 69 cents a can, regular 1.69

The on line form is cumbersome, better to call in your order.  Another plus, they don't mark up the shipping.  Got 2 large cases (almost 50 lbs total) shipped for $12, UPS cost.

I've had La Bella before, and I agree, they're very good. And the shipping is very reasonable. I assume that was $12 total for 2 cases, not $12 per case? BTW, are those 28 oz cans? Thanks.

That was $12 total for both. I got one case of 3 kilo chopped (6 BIG cans)and one case of 1/2 kilo peeled (24 small cans). I called and left a message and a very nice Italian guy (Nick, I presume) called me back a few minutes later. He said, helpfully, you sure you want 3 kilo cans? I usually sell them to restaurants! I assured him I make large batches of sauce. Need to order more, actually.

Be very careful if you shop at Whole Foods.

They have large cans with a white label that are decorated with small, schematic images of plum tomatoes in a flat, bright red. Each tomato is accompanied by the word "San Marzano."

If you look at the fine print on the back of the can, you'll see that the tomatoes are grown in some unidentified location in the U.S. I saw the cardboard box a shipment came in once and believe it was stamped "Product of Canada."

And thank you for all the links! One that Doc supplied led to an exchange about a simple tomato sauce recipe by Marcella Hazan that calls for a generious amount of butter. Even though I had been cooking from her two-volume classic publication for over two decades, I tried it this summer for the very first time, using fresh tomatoes since the ones at the farmer's markets were so wonderful this year. It was a revelation and a reminder to stop turning to the same old pages over and over again.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Be very careful if you shop at Whole Foods.

They have large cans with a white label that are decorated with small, schematic images of plum tomatoes in a flat, bright red.  Each tomato is accompanied by the word "San Marzano."

If you look at the fine print on the back of the can, you'll see that the tomatoes are grown in some unidentified location in the U.S.  I saw the cardboard box a shipment came in once and believe it was stamped "Product of Canada."

And thank you for all the links!  One that Doc supplied led to an exchange about a simple tomato sauce recipe by Marcella Hazan that calls for a generious amount of butter.  Even though I had been cooking from her two-volume classic publication for over two decades, I tried it this summer for the very first time, using fresh tomatoes since the ones at the farmer's markets were so wonderful this year.  It was a revelation and a reminder to stop turning to the same old pages over and over again.

I;ve seen those and they are actually from California.

That was $12 total for both. I got one case of 3 kilo chopped (6 BIG cans)and one case of 1/2 kilo peeled (24 small cans). I called and left a message and a very nice Italian guy (Nick, I presume) called me back a few minutes later. He said, helpfully, you sure you want 3 kilo cans? I usually sell them to restaurants! I assured him I make large batches of sauce. Need to order more, actually.

Sounds good. Thanks a lot!

Lots of discussion about San Marzanos here:

Discussion of San Marzanos

To the OP, I've found the best place to order DOP San Marzanos (LaValle brand) here:

Best and most economical DOP San Marzanos

---Guy

Thanks, the La Valle DOP 35 oz cans from Todarobros are an excellent value. Are their shipping rates reasonable?

Edited by merstar (log)

To the OP, I've found the best place to order DOP San Marzanos (LaValle brand) here:

---Guy

Thanks, the La Valle DOP 35 oz cans from Todarobros are an excellent value. Are their shipping rates reasonable?

I don't remember the exact amt. of shipping but it was reasonable and they shipped very quickly.

---Guy

I don't remember the exact amt. of shipping but it was reasonable and they shipped very quickly.

I have ordered from them as well. I called them and placed the order of the phone and the shipping was cheaper than listed on the website.

I find Quality System Approval ISO9001:200I listed, but...I don't see DOP anywhere on the La Bella can. Does that mean they are not DOP?

I find Quality System Approval ISO9001:200I listed, but...I don't see DOP anywhere on the La Bella can. Does that mean they are not DOP?

That's right. If it is not on the label it is not DOP. it may still be good, but not DOP.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Question for pennbrew or calipoutine:

What's the salt content on the La Valle tomatoes? I like them not too salty. Hoping someone can read a can label for me! Thanks.

---Guy

What's the salt content on the La Valle tomatoes?  I like them not too salty.  Hoping someone can read a can label for me!  Thanks.

---Guy

Good question - I was wondering the same thing, but assumed (and hoped) they were low-sodium, which seems to be typical of authentic San Marzano tomatoes.

What's the salt content on the La Valle tomatoes?  I like them not too salty.  Hoping someone can read a can label for me!  Thanks.

---Guy

Good question - I was wondering the same thing, but assumed (and hoped) they were low-sodium, which seems to be typical of authentic San Marzano tomatoes.

Ok, I made the trek down to the basement to grab a can. This is what the can says

Serving size 3 piece( spelled peice) servings per container about 6

calories 20

fat 0

sodium 15mg, so basically a can would have 75mg of sodium.

btw, these are not DOP, but I was still happy with them.