• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Speaking of Chinatown's.......

The reason I'm asking is I'm looking for an area that has shops with which to purchase cooking supplies such as woks, cutlery, steamers, rice cookers, etc. similar to the Chinatown in San Francisco. It's been several years since I've been up north to shop but is there anything like that down here in SD? I'm trying to find some Hong Kong made cleavers (brand name Chan Chi Kee) locally and I would appreciate any help. Of course while I'm there, I will check out all the other offerings as well since I love to shop. A 99 Ranch type place is not what I'm looking for as they really don't have what I would call "genuine" quality. Small mom and pop shops like The Wok Shop in SF I think would be more of what I'm trying to find. I understand that Convoy area would be a good place to start but anyone know for sure what is out there before I spend a day walking up and down that street?

TIA, :biggrin:

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Hi, Octaveman--

As far as I know, the area around Convoy Street (including a few blocks in either direction along its length) is pretty much San Diego's current Chinese/Asian business/restaurant area. (The old Chinatown used to be part of what is now the Gaslamp District downtown; while there's a museum and some preserved historic buildings down there, I don't believe there's much in the way of actual Chinese businesses down there anymore).

The Convoy area covers a bit of acreage, so you'd probably be driving, rather than walking, to check it out. While there are indeed a bunch of mom'n'pop businesses tucked in among the restaurants and groceries, I'm afraid I'm still not sufficiently up to speed on them to advise you on specifics.

I understand your not expecting the 99 Ranch to carry what you're looking for. Possibly the Japanese Mitsuwa Market (a block east of Convoy) might be a little more helpful, as among the specialty shops they have tucked into the store is a housewares shop. The Korean Zion Marketplace, also a block off of Convoy, also has some specialty shops in it, although right now I'm not recalling if any of them are for housewares. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

The reason I'm asking is I'm looking for an area that has shops with which to purchase cooking supplies such as woks, cutlery, steamers, rice cookers, etc. similar to the Chinatown in San Francisco.  It's been several years since I've been up north to shop but is there anything like that down here in SD?  I'm trying to find some Hong Kong made cleavers (brand name Chan Chi Kee) locally and I would appreciate any help.  Of course while I'm there, I will check out all the other offerings as well since I love to shop.  A 99 Ranch type place is not what I'm looking for as they really don't have what I would call "genuine" quality.  Small mom and pop shops like The Wok Shop in SF I think would be more of what I'm trying to find.  I understand that Convoy area would be a good place to start but anyone know for sure what is out there before I spend a day walking up and down that street?

TIA,  :biggrin:

Bob

In all honesty, I get most of my Cooking "gear" in Los Angeles. there is one place on Convoy that you can check out.

It's called Chef City Restaurant Equipment and Supplies

4927 Convoy St

San Diego, CA 92111

It's located South of Clairemont Mesa Blvd, on the East side of the street. It's an Asian Restaurant Supply Store - you can even get high BTU, "fire-rings" there. The quality of many items there may not suit your requirements, but it's a good place to get odds and ends - several Asian Restaurants buy their equipment and other items from them. And I've shopped there a few times in the past - they do sell to the general public.

Utsuwa No Yakata is the porcelain shop located in Mitsuwa marketplace, and sells only porcelain(i.e. bowls. plates, dishes). There's a kitchen section within Mitsuwa, but it's mostly Rice Cookers, ginger graters, and such. But I remember seeing pretty good sashimi knives.

I still have my left handed fish knife I bought at the Wok Shop many years ago....

Good Luck,

Kirk

http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/

I attended San Diego State U for 4 years in the early 80's. Since then I have been back to SD a few times every year. While the Chinese population grew tremendously in certain Los Angeles areas, the one in SD did not grow as fast. Yes there are many more Chinese restaurants along Convoy now than 20 years ago. But nothing to the scale of what's considered a China Town. I guess if you want to shop for special items, your best bet might be to head north 100+ miles to LA or San Gabriel. Or what's closer would be Irvine, Garden Grove, Cerritos or Torrance.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

What about the "strip mall" next to Jasmine on Convoy?

There used to be a Chinese market towards the back called Woo Chee Chongs (sp?) that changed ownership. Is the store gone?

You could also try contacting someone at the San Diego Chinese Community's web site. They might be able to point you in the right direction (you can shut their web site's music off at the bottom of the home page :hmmm: ).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

What about the "strip mall" next to Jasmine on Convoy?

There used to be a Chinese market towards the back called Woo Chee Chongs (sp?) that changed ownership.  Is the store gone?

The Market in that strip mall is now First Korean Market/Orient Bowl - A Korean Market. It does have alot of "stuffs" from Hawaii, though if tyou're interested.

http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/2005/1..._kine_stuf.html

Kirk

http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/

Man, when I worked in the area about 6 years ago, I ate lunch at Woo Chee's 3 days a week. A truck load of pretty damn good food for $3.50. Actually, Nijiya had a great lunch thing going too with hot Chinese food take-out back then. They don't have that anymore since they moved.

Okay, well, it seems like I'm just going to have to start on one end and go to the other. I will definately look for the chef supply store mentioned above. I shop at Mitsuwa and their shops don't have what I'm looking for. But it was pointed out that sushi knives have been spotted. I may have to look a little closer because I don't remember seeing any. Of course Nijiya has sushi knives but they're cheap stock knives. Going to LA may be an option but not ideal. Don't want to spend $30 in gas to look for a $35 cleaver that may not be there.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I'll try to check stuff out this weekend.

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band