• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Real Deals at the Pan Pacific Hotel

canucklehead

Just heard that the Pan Pacific Hotel is reducing all of their food and beverage prices to the orginal 1986 prices in celebration of their 20th year anniversary. I think the prices are good for next week only.

What they really need is a good renovation - but if you are looking for a cheap weekend brunch - you know where to go. I can't imagine that they would cut their alcohol prices though... surely the LDB would be all over that.

This taken from their recent press release,

Much has changed since 1986 when Halliday opened what was then the most

expensive hotel ever built in Canada. Expo 86 and the Coquihalla were about

to open, Microsoft had just gone public at $21 per share and the average

price of a home in Vancouver was $123,000.

At Pan Pacific Vancouver, diners were enjoying outstanding culinary

creations at great prices such as:

Queen Charlotte Island Seafood Chowder ------ $ 3.75

Crispy Caesar Salad ------------------------- $ 6.00

Atlantic Lobster Chowder -------------------- $ 6.50

Dungeness Crab Burgers ---------------------- $ 6.95

West Coast Cobb Salad ----------------------- $ 8.75

Antipasti Platter for Two ------------------- $ 8.95

Nobody says crispy anymore. We need to bring back crispy.

I can't imagine that they would cut their alcohol prices though... surely the LDB would be all over that.

So would I, dude. :cool:

Actually - I just checked and parts of their wine list are going on special too. Now - I am not a wine expert - but some of these prices look insane....

Special Wine List Prices

I think that the wine list is available only at the Cascade Lounge and Five Sails.

Just heard that the Pan Pacific Hotel is reducing all of their food and beverage prices to the orginal 1986 prices in celebration of their 20th year anniversary. I think the prices are good for next week only.

I just heard a radio ad for this (while in the dentist's chair - ouch!). If I heard correctly over the din it runs from January 9th to the 15th.

Cheers,

Anne

Decorum question: Is it a faux pas to start salivating on your dentist? JK.

The wine menu posted said it was the 5 Sails wine list for Jan 11-15. Unless they change their wine menu with that much frequency, perhaps that's the same run time for the throwback food menu.

Actually - I just checked and parts of their wine list are going on special too. Now - I am not a wine expert - but some of these prices look insane....

Insane?...interesting how things have changed. Those prices represent a mark-up of roughly 100%, which was the standard back then (can't even remember why...think we were regulated?)

Damian du Plessis

Bravo Restaurant & Lounge

Chilliwack, BC

I managed to get a booking for the opera cafe on Friday: at $18 it's a steal! But they only had openings at 5.30 and 8.30, so we had to go for the earlier time. :hmmm:

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

Did you see the buffet prices at the bottom of the menu.  $18 per person for the Sunday Brunch Buffet!  Not that I am an all-you-can-eat kind of diner...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

(honestly, I think Joie even heard the laugh I had from this) I will be looking for a post birthday hangover thingy..... :raz:

Decorum question: Is it a faux pas to start salivating on your dentist? JK.

The wine menu posted said it was the 5 Sails wine list for Jan 11-15. Unless they change their wine menu with that much frequency, perhaps that's the same run time for the throwback food menu.

The event does run from January 9-15 according to the website.

Here's a link to the Pan Pacific site with details for those who haven't checked it out yet: Pan Pacific 20 Year Anniversary Celebration

Cheers,

Anne

I managed to get a booking for the opera cafe on Friday: at $18 it's a steal!  But they only had openings at 5.30 and 8.30, so we had to go for the earlier time. :hmmm:

Yes, this is a great price! The regular price for the Opera Buffet and the Sunday Brunch Buffet is $42 per person. (Disclosure: I work at the Pan and this price is better than staff rate!).

While you are there, don't forget to fill out a form for the draw to Win a $5,000 luxury weekend in the Royal Suite:

1 night accommodation for 2 in the Royal Suite

Valet parking for 1 vehicle

Champagne in the Suite upon arrival

Spa Utopia & Salon gift certificate at the Pan Pacific ($ 100 value)

Dinner for 2 in The Five Sails Restaurant ($ 200 value)

Pan Pacific Fitness Club entry

Breakfast for 2 in the privacy of the Royal Suite or reservations for 2 in the Cafe Pacifica at the Sunday Market Brunch ( $ 100 value).

The scary part is the fact that their 1986 prices are the same as my 2006 prices in Parksville!!, its times like this that I miss the Vancouver market place. I hope their celebrations go well. I miss the rivalry between us at The Waterfront and The Pan.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef