• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
MightyD

best of gingercakes

Certainly.

If you happen to come by any, please send my share to :

The St Eustace Home for Terminally Weary Culinarians,

Rockall,

UK.

I love gingercakes! And now's the perfect time of year for them too. I'm in!

Here's a very popular recipe that I've been meaning to try for years!

Guiness Stout ginger cake

The proportions in this one look promising...

Ginger cake by Rick Rodgers

another recipe that looks good....

There's also one in Baking with Julia

Here's a picture of the Guinness Stout ginger cake baked in a bundt pan. I also made them in mini bundt pans. Sorry I have no photo showing the crumb. I was very pleased with the results. As I mentioned in an old post, I bought a 6-pack of Guinness; one for the cake and 5 for me. :wacko:

I haven't made a lot of gingercakes, but I did make the one in Baking with Julia Ling mentions and it was my favorite so far. Very rich and complex -- got good comments from those I shared it with too.

yaayyy!!!

i have a recipe from regan daley that i've been meaning to try ... it promises to be dark and moist with an "almost-burnt caramel and spice flavour" - sounds yummy!

so far, i'm most intrigued by the baking with julia recipe as well as the guiness stout recipe. what do you think?

I am definitely up for this. I tried the Baking with Julia recipe twice and am willing to try it a third time. I found Brer Rabbit mild molasses and I'm hoping that that will make a difference.

I love gingercakes! And now's the perfect time of year for them too. I'm in!

Here's a very popular recipe that I've been meaning to try for years!

Guiness Stout ginger cake

The proportions in this one look promising...

Ginger cake by Rick Rodgers

another recipe that looks good....

There's also one in Baking with Julia

Here's a picture of the Guinness Stout ginger cake baked in a bundt pan. I also made them in mini bundt pans. Sorry I have no photo showing the crumb. I was very pleased with the results. As I mentioned in an old post, I bought a 6-pack of Guinness; one for the cake and 5 for me. :wacko:

The cake looks lovely, and I appreicate your good usage of that six pack. :wink: But one of the comments about that recipe mentioned the following:

"... there are notable differences between this recipe and the Gramercy Tavern gingerbread of Feb. 2000. This recipe omitted 1&1/2 teaspoons baking powder with the flour (oops!) and this recipe cuts the sugars to 1/2 cup each (a good change) so beware but make this cake!"

Did you use the baking powder in your recipe? And how much sugar?

Thanks. I'm not ready to bake the cake yet, but I might start on the Guiness tonight. :smile:

Ginger. :wub:

^I haven't made the Guiness Stout cake, but I noticed that comment and I believe that the recipe on Epicurious is missing the baking powder. There wouldn't be much leavening otherwise.

i found another version of the gramercy tavern guiness stout ginger cake on-line (www.tif.ca/recipes) which does have the 1 1/2 tsp baking powder. but it also has only 1/2 TSP baking soda as opposed to the 1/2 TBSP baking soda in the epicurious site. IMO, i think that even with the increased baking soda in the epicurious site, the cake would have a lighter texture with baking powder.

i'm eager to test this recipe as i've heard so many things about it - i recommend going with the 1/2 TSP baking soda and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder. what do you think?

i found another version of the gramercy tavern guiness stout ginger cake on-line (www.tif.ca/recipes) which does have the 1 1/2 tsp baking powder.  but it also has only 1/2 TSP baking soda as opposed to the 1/2 TBSP baking soda in the epicurious site.  IMO, i think that even with the increased baking soda in the epicurious site, the cake would have a lighter texture with baking powder. 

There are actually two different cakes from Gramercy Tavern on Epicurious. There's a Guinness Stout Ginger Cake, and there is a Gingerbread. The one with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda is the Gingerbread (for which one may use either oatmeal or Guinness Stout, and which calls for a 10-12 cup bundt pan).

The Guinness Stout Ginger Cake recipe is the one that calls for 1/2 tablespoon baking soda and 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, requires less sugar, specifies Guinness Stout *only*, and adds some grated ginger to the recipe (the amount of spices varies just a bit, as well). This recipe uses a smaller pan--9x5 loaf or 6-cup bundt.

It seems to me that a Ginger Cake should be lighter than a Gingerbread (just going by the names), and that's why there's more leavening in the cake recipe. But they are two different recipes, so whichever you make depends on whether you want a gingerbread or a ginger cake.

I was hired to do some Christmas baking for a co-worker (my first paid cooking gig!) just last month, and one of the things she requested was gingercake.

So, I went on a quest for the perfect gingercake recipe. Of all the recipes I tried - several from Epicurious.com, FoodNetwork.com and a few from various cookbooks - the Gramercy Tavern one and the Baking Illustrated one were the favorites of all testers.

The Gramercy Tavern recipe was quite good; very moist with a stronger bite - a little too strong of an aftertaste for me, and kind of sticky, I thought. The Baking Ilustrated one is softer with, in my opinion, the perfect texture and no aftertaste, but I thought the ginger flavor wasn't quite strong enough.

So, I played with them a little - added a bit of Guinness to the Baking Illustrated recipe and used a mixture of ground ginger and grated crystalized ginger. That came out pretty well and is what I used for my customer. For my own preferences, though, I think I would leave the beer out, but the extra ginger in.

Both recipes, however, are very good and received high marks from everyone who tasted it for me!

The Gramercy Tavern recipe was quite good; very moist with a stronger bite - a little too strong of an aftertaste for me, and kind of sticky, I thought. 

I made the Gramercy Tavern recipe, as well, and I thought it was quite bitter the first day. It definitely mellowed with age, and then I loved it after a day or two.

But one of the comments about that recipe mentioned the following:

"... there are notable differences between this recipe and the Gramercy Tavern gingerbread of Feb. 2000. This recipe omitted 1&1/2 teaspoons baking powder with the flour (oops!) and this recipe cuts the sugars to 1/2 cup each (a good change) so beware but make this cake!"

Thanks. I'm not ready to bake the cake yet, but I might start on the Guiness tonight.  :smile:

Ginger.  :wub:

I'll double check the recipe when I get home tonight and report back.

Tapenade and I made Golden Ginger Cake for my father's 65th birthday. It was a huge hit. We also added some fresh grated ginger, but I do not remember how much.

so far, the following ginger cake recipes have generated the most responses:

1) Baking with Julia - the book says that it is a gingerbread though

2) Gramercy Tavern Guinness Stout Ginger Cake

3) Baking Illustrated - recipe also calls this a gingerbread

any others you'd be willing to test?

Here's a site with a bunch of gingerbread recipes. (To clarify--are we looking for a gingerbread or gingercake? Or does it matter to anyone? I love both...)

I looked at all the recipes and their proportions, and the two recipes that I think would appeal to me most, in finished form, are the Double Ginger gingerbread and the Gingerbread cake recipes. Both look like they would be moist, and include a variety of spices. Also, they are not the sweetest of the recipes on the site. The Double Ginger gingerbread contains buttermilk, which I like in a cake recipe.

Here's a Williams-Sonoma recipe that also looks good...it's another recipe I've been meaning to try! Ginger cake with warm caramel sauce

In Vancouver, Chef Neil at The Hamilton Street Grill does a comforting dessert called "Gingerbread pudding". Basically, you bake a simple gingerbread cake, cube it and mix it with a eggy base (like you would for bread pudding), rebake it, then top it with caramel sauce. It's quite the legendary dessert here in Vancouver! Here's his recipe: Gingerbread pudding

The cake is very basic, but works well in this application. If I were to riff on the gingerbread pudding theme, I'd probably use one of the recipes I listed above (with more ingredients and complexity in taste), and decrease the amount of sugar in the caramel recipe. :smile: One thing that I can't do at home, though, is the amazing pumpkin ice-cream and ginger ice-cream he serves with the gingerbread pudding.... :wub:

Edited by Ling (log)

David Lebovitz? You around?

I make your recipe from ROOM FOR DESSERT all the time-Awesome man, awesome. These guys are making me think about subbing the water with guiness.

I'll let you know how it comes out

It's my ONE day off today, which is why I'm taking over this thread so much... :laugh:

I guess I'm being an eager beaver, but I baked this recipe: Gingerbread cake

The lighting is really poor and I realize the whole brown cake/brown chair in the background/brown table/brown placemat thing is kind of...uhm...brown. But it was the only pic I took before my camera died...must buy batteries!

The cake is very soft with a tender, rather delicate crumb (this is straight out of the oven...we'll see how it is tomorrow). It's not dry at all. The recipe notes that this cake was traditionally served with butter and eaten at dinner (hence it's relative lack of sweetness, I imagine.) The cake itself is good, but I think it would definitely benefit from some caramel sauce! The only change I made was a moderate increase in spices (an extra tsp. of both the cinnamon and ginger, and .5 tsp increase in nutmeg, which I found resulted in a tastier batter.)

gingerbread.jpg

This recipe for Ginger Spice Cake is from Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen cook book

Ginger Spice Cake

Serves 8

2 c. all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tbsp. ground ginger

2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

1/s tsp. all spice

1 egg

1/2 c. molasses

1 c. sugar

1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted

1 c. buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit the pan bottom and place it inside; then spray the paper. Set aside.

Sift the dry ingredients (not the sugar) into a large bowl. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg, molasses, sugar and melted butter until thick. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Beat for 1 minute after each addition to incorporate the ingredents and strengthen the cake's structure. Mix until the batter is smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth down the top of the batter until even. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into a middle of the cake comes out clean.

This cake is rad when served with this warm cranberry sauce

Warm Cranberries

2c. fresh cranberries

1 c. dried cranberries

2 c. water

2 c. brown sugar, packed

1 tsp. all spice

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1 c. whipped cream, for garnish

Combine all ingredents in a large pot. Bring to a boil over meduim heat. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Allow the cake to cool completely before removing it from the pan, then slice it in wedges. Serve with the cranberries and whipper cream.

: 0 )

I did a quick frosting (cream cheese, chocolate, icing sugar) to slather on the gingerbread cake. Much better. :smile:

ginger2.jpg

But one of the comments about that recipe mentioned the following:

Thanks. I'm not ready to bake the cake yet, but I might start on the Guiness tonight.  :smile:

Ginger.  :wub:

I'll double check the recipe when I get home tonight and report back.

I couldn't find my recipe so I checked the epicurious site again and saw the two versions. I am sure I used the Gramercy Tavern gingerbread recipe, and hope I didn't cause any confusion :unsure:. It calls for 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1.5 teaspoons baking powder, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup packed brown sugar. It is for a 10-12 cup bundt pan while the other version is for a 6 cup bundt. Also, 94% of epicurious reviewers would make this again compared to 86% for the other.

Here's the one I love with a few modifications because I felt it didn't have enough flour or heat.

Traditional British Gingerbread

2 cups of self-rising flour

2 tablespoons of ground ginger

1 Tablespoon minced crystal ginger

1 tablespoon ground allspice

1\2 teaspoon ground white pepper

1\2 tsp salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1\2 unsalted butter

1\2 packed brown sugar

3 eggs

2\3 cup black treacle

also I've tried using molasses which I found a bit too strong....any thoughts?

i pulled up the Fresh Ginger Cake off epicurious that Ling posted and am puzzled by something:

4oz fresh ginger, grated

1 cup molasses

1 cup sugar

1 cup oil

2 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/2 tsp pepper

1 cup boiling water

2 tsp baking soda

2 eggs

mix molasses, sugar, and oil - set aside. mix flour, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper - set aside.

and here's the part i don't understand ....

the recipe then calls for adding the baking soda to the boiling water, then add this mixture to the molasses mixture above. won't this just kill the leavening?? i've compared this recipe to so many others and i can't find any other recipes that even remotely resemble something like this!

can anyone shed any light on this?

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      BANOFFE - MY DAUGHTER'S BIRTHDAY CAKE

This year, mischievous nature tried to upset my daughter's birthday plans. Spending your birthday in bed with a thermometer isn't an excellent idea ¬– even for an adult. For a teenager it is a drama comparable to cancelled holidays. My daughter told me that you are thirteen only once. And she was right. Literally and figuratively.

I wanted to sugar the pill for her on this day and cheer her up for a bit, so I prepared a caramel cake with bananas – banoffee in the form of a small birthday cake. My sweet magic and the dinner from her favourite restaurant worked, and in the end her birthday was quite nice.

Ingredients (17cm cake tin):
      150g of biscuits
      75g of butter
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      250g of mascarpone cheese
      2 tablespoons of caster sugar
      2 bananas
      300g of fudge
      1 teaspoon of dark cocoa

Break the biscuits into very small pieces or blend them. Melt the butter and mix it up with the biscuits until you have dough like wet sand. Put it into a cake tin and form the base. It is worth rolling it flat with a glass. Leave it in the fridge for one hour. Spread the biscuit layer with fudge and arrange the sliced bananas on top. Whisk the chilled sweet cream with the caster sugar. Add the mascarpone cheese and mix it in. Put the mixture onto the bananas and make it even. Sprinkle with the dark cocoa and decorate as you like. Leave it in the fridge for a few hours (best for the whole night).

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      ON THE CHRISTMAS TABLE - CHRISTMAS EVE CRANBERRY KISSEL

One of my friends from Ukraine told me about her traditional Christmas dishes. Except for stuffed cabbage with potatoes (which I have made already) I was surprised about cranberry kissel. I searched the Internet and I saw that in many Polish homes Christmas Eve supper ends with cranberry kissel. In my home we always drink compote with dried fruit, but maybe this year we will try a new dish on our Christmas menu.

I wonder why cranberries are on the Christmas table. I didn't find any particular information about it (except the fact it is tradition). I think that a few years ago cranberries were treated as a natural cure which aids digestion, and this could be quite useful after a hefty Christmas meal!

At my Ukrainian friends' home Christmas kissel is runny like a drink, but you can prepare it like a dessert with a more dense texture. I made the drink version, but you should choose which is better for you.

Ingredients:
      500g of cranberries
      a piece of cinnamon and a couple of cloves
      6-8 tablespoons of sugar
      2-3 tablespoons of potato flour

Wash the cranberries and put them with the cinnamon and cloves in a pan. Pour in 500ml of water and boil until the fruit is soft. Remove the cinnamon and cloves and blend the rest. Add the sugar and mix it until it has dissolved. Sieve the cranberry mousse to make a smooth texture. Mix the potato flour with a bit of cold water. Boil the cranberry mousse and add the mixed potato flour, stirring constantly so it is not lumpy. Boil for a while. Pour the kissel into some glasses.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      COURGETTE MUFFINS WITH LEMON

Since I found the recipe for courgette muffins with lemon on the Polish blog gotujzcukiereczkiem I decided to prepare them. My children looked at the ingredients with surprise. Courgette and cakes don't go together well. The argument that they add caster sugar to the courgette pancakes didn't convince them. The muffins reminded my husband of the lemon cake his grandma used to prepare many years ago. I just liked them. They were short lived, because they disappeared in no time, slightly lemony, moist and not too sweet. They were perfect.

If I didn't know they had courgette in them, I would never believe it. Try it, because it is worth it.

Ingredients (for 12 muffins)
      muffins
      200g of flour
      a pinch of salt
      half a teaspoon of baking soda
      half a teaspoon of baking powder
      150g of sugar
      peel from one lemon
      a tablespoon of lemon juice
      2 eggs
      150ml of oil
      a teaspoon of vanilla essence
      a teaspoon of lemon essence
      210g of grated courgette
      icing:
      3 tablespoons of milk
      10 tablespoons of caster sugar
      1 teaspoon of lemon essence

Heat the oven up to 170C. Put some paper muffin moulds into the "dimples" of a baking pan for muffins.
      Mix together the dry ingredients of the muffins: flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix together the sugar and lemon peel in a separate bowl. Add the eggs, oil, lemon juice and both essences. Mix them in. Add the dry ingredients and mix them in. Grate the unpeeled courgette, don't squeeze and don't pour away the liquid. Add the courgette to the dough and mix it in. Put the dough into some paper muffin moulds. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Now prepare the icing. Mix the milk with the caster sugar and lemon essence. Decorate the muffins with the lemon icing.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      MILLET GROATS CHOCOLATE CREME WITH CRANBERRY MOUSSE

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for the best chocolate crème I have ever eaten. It is thick, smooth and very chocolaty in flavour and colour. Despite the chocolate, the dessert isn't too sweet. But if somebody thinks that it is, I recommend serving it with slightly sour fruit mousse. You can use cherries, currants or cranberries. You will make an unusually yummy arrangement and your dessert will look beautiful.

My children were delighted with this dessert. I told them about the fact it had been made with millet groats after they had eaten it, and ... they didn't believe me. Next time I will prepare the millet groats crème with a double portion of ingredients.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      chocolate crème
      100g of millet groats
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of dark cocoa
      250ml of almond milk
      fruit mousse
      250g of fresh cranberries
      juice and peel of one orange
      half a teaspoon of grated ginger
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Boil the millet groats in salty water and drain them. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Blend the millet groats, chocolate, cocoa and milk very thoroughly until you have very smooth crème. Pour the milk in gradually to make the right consistency of your desert. Prepare the fruit mousse. Put the washed cranberries, ginger, juice orange peel and sugar into a pot. Boil until the fruits are soft. Blend. Put the chocolate crème into some small bowls. Put the fruit mousse on top. Decorate with peppermint leaves. Serve at once or chilled.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      SWIFT HOMEMADE NAPOLEON

Sometimes we have days – may there be as few as possible – when nothing works out. I can even burn the water for tea. I have two ways of dealing with such days. The first is to sit in a corner and wait it out – maybe it will sort itself out. I can only do this when I'm alone. When I have a hungry family I have to look for another way. My second way is to use only well-known recipes and stick to them irregardless of how well I know them. Any experiments in this situation will end in failure.

Last weekend was just difficult. My husband helped me prepare dinner, but the dessert was my problem alone. Following the rules, I used a recipe for napoleon that is so simple there is no way you could fail. I recommend it to anyone struggling with creative impotence or who likes glamourous results after not too much effort in the kitchen.

Ingredients (for 9 napoleons)
      1 pack of chilled French pastry
      500ml of milk
      6 tablespoons of sugar
      1 packet of powdered blancmange
      50g of butter
      2 egg yolks
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      1 tablespoons of potato flour
      2 tablespoons of flour
      caster sugar

Heat the oven up to 180C. Cover a baking tray with some baking paper.
      Cut the French pastry in half. Bake one half for 20 minutes. Remove it from the tray. Cut the second part into 9 squares. A cake prepared in this way is easier to divide into portions. Put them on the paper and bake for 20 minutes.
      Now prepare the crème. Boil 400ml of the milk with the sugar, vanilla essence and butter. Mix the rest of the milk with the powdered blancmange, flour and potato flour and egg yolks. When the milk has boiled, take it off the heat and add it to the mixture, stirring constantly. Put it on the heat and boil, stirring until the mixture is coagulated. Take the pot off the heat. Put the warm mixture on the whole part of the French pasty and then cover it with the sliced part of the pastry. Cover the dessert with aluminium foil and leave in the fridge for a few hours. Cut and sprinkle with the caster sugar before serving.