• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Predictions for 2006

Memo

To start this off, I predict (basically because I'd like to see) more beef tongue appearing on menus near us this year.

(Hapa Izakaya already has a subtle, but excellent, version of this on their menu.)

I also predict an end to tiramisu (enough, already)! :raz:

I'd be interested in hearing others' predictions. Pull out your crystal ball(s) and start listing!

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

To start this off, I predict (basically because I'd like to see) more beef tongue appearing on menus near us this year.

(Hapa Izakaya already has a subtle, but excellent, version of this on their menu.)

I also predict an end to tiramisu (enough, already)! :raz:

I'd be interested in hearing others' predictions. Pull out your crystal ball(s) and start listing!

Memo

- More beef tongue for sure. It's really good stuff.

- I want to see common comfort foods completely redefined. This is really vague because I havn't a clue how to change them :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Figs are the fruit-of-the-year

Wacky ice cream appetizers : wild mushroom ice cream with foie gras, parmesan ice cream on grilled radicchio.

Bison appeals to steak-o-philes for its healthy connotation.

Watermelon is the new tomato in salads

Seaweed is going into salads, wrapping fish and flavoring pasta.

Up-and-coming superfruits: pomegranates, mangosteens

Specialty salts

Complex vinaigrettes

Newfangled guacamoles made with everything but (or including) avocado.

Organic food will be called "uncontaminated" products

The Baton Rouge Advocate

The rest of this article is excellent so do follow the link to read it in its entirety! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Organic food will be called "uncontaminated" products

The Baton Rouge Advocate

Apparently the people at The Advocate haven't heard of Kopi Luwak coffee. And, I won't even get started on my typical organic food rant.

Edit to add:

9. TWO COUNTER-TRENDS:

(a) "Fallen Architecture" -- Many mass-market restaurateurs see: simplicity as a driving force in 2006, with food sitting flat

Thank God! I truly dislike having to take a crowbar, det-cord, back-hoe, and sledge hammer just to dismantle my meal before I do horrible things to its aesthetic appeal by applying teeth and digestive tools.

Edit again to add:

infrared spectrometer nuclear magnetic resonance
Never heard of IR-NMR... and I've taken a lot of graduate level NMR and IR courses... but, I'm not a food-writer, so I might be missing out on some cutting-edge spectroscopy techniques.
Liquid hydrogen
Okay... this stuff is 20 Kelvin (-423F) vs 77 Kelvin (-321F) for liquid nitrogen... and about 200 times the cost. I don't want to pay for that meal... Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I think in Australia we will continue to see a further move towards regional specialties.

eg. Limestone Coast Lamb, Western Australian Rock Lobster, Coffin Bay Oysters etc...

I also think that asian flavours will continue to dominate although I also see a slight resurgence to classical Western European cuisine.

On a personal note, I would love to see the resurgence of the Fondue...

Cheers,

Doc-G

Fishmongers will expand on live-delivery of their products.

Last year a Maine fisherman built a fully aerated fishtank in his delivery truck and delivered live fish to New York restaurants at a premium. The tough part is convincing boat captains to build aerated tanks on board fishing vessels to accomodate the trend.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Bread bowls. "They're backkkkkk........"

As a consumer, I love bread bowls. They have that bourgeiois stick-to-your-ribs quality that good short ribs get when braised right.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

The New York Times will finally break down and hire a restaurant critic.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I see oxtail as the next braised meat. Shanks (lamb and veal) have been around for a while and veal cheeks have re-made an appearance locally so this is one of the last tough things left for the braising pot. Steak-wise, onglet (I think that's what nwyles refers to as hanger steak) will probably continue its march towards world domination.

With the recent success of Le Jolifou and Raza I also suspect more Latin and South American influences locally (Montreal) and perhaps Canada-wide though I'm not sure how much huitlacoche I can eat at one sitting.

And… lots and lots of sous-vide.

The hanger steak craze will continue, and I have the market cornered on supply !!!

My evil plan to take over the world is working.

Not when I can buy them at Trader Joe's!

Okay at least the Vancouver market.

Duck fat will be proven through research to provide health benefits, prompting my wife to allow me to use ith when I roast potatoes. :hmmm:

A.