• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CUBA: "Ultra-premium" addition to Havana Club stab

PR Rum Time

CUBA: "Ultra-premium" addition to Havana Club stable

04 Jan 2006

Source: just-drinks.com editorial team

Pernod Ricard has launched a “unique, ultra-premium rum” to add to its Havana Club stable.

Havana Club Máximo Extra Añejo, handcrafted from rare extra-aged rums, will be launched in the brand’s key European markets in late October and early November. The brand is to be targeted at ultra-premium spirits lovers, rum connoisseurs and cigar aficionados with a strong presence in duty-free outlets.

Philippe Coutin, general manager of Havana Club International, said: “Havana Club Máximo Extra Añejo is a product of which we are extraordinarily proud. As the worldwide leader of Cuban rums, we are spearheading the category by creating a new quality reference in the ultra-premium rum segment. Havana Club Máximo Extra Añejo is the perfect showcase for our unique know-how, genuine quality and rum ageing tradition.

http://www.just-drinks.com/news_detail.asp?art=29628

CUBA: "Ultra-premium" addition to Havana Club stable

04 Jan 2006

Source: just-drinks.com editorial team

Pernod Ricard has launched a “unique, ultra-premium rum” to add to its Havana Club stable.

Havana Club Máximo Extra Añejo, handcrafted from rare extra-aged rums, will be launched in the brand’s key European markets in late October and early November. The brand is to be targeted at ultra-premium spirits lovers, rum connoisseurs and cigar aficionados with a strong presence in duty-free outlets.

Philippe Coutin, general manager of Havana Club International, said: “Havana Club Máximo Extra Añejo is a product of which we are extraordinarily proud.  As the worldwide leader of Cuban rums, we are spearheading the category by creating a new quality reference in the ultra-premium rum segment.  Havana Club Máximo Extra Añejo is the perfect showcase for our unique know-how, genuine quality and rum ageing tradition.

http://www.just-drinks.com/news_detail.asp?art=29628

My concern would be consistency; it seems that lately Cuban rum, like some Cuban cigars, has been a little up-and-down. Is this anyone else's experience? Also, when I went to Europe in fall '04, I couldn't find HC in any duty free stores in Austria or Germany...very disappointing!

My concern would be consistency; it seems that lately Cuban rum, like some Cuban cigars, has been a little up-and-down. Is this anyone else's experience? Also, when I went to Europe in fall '04, I couldn't find HC in any duty free stores in Austria or Germany...very disappointing!

YES! Thank you for confirming my belief. I recently finished off a bottle of Havana Club 7 y/o and I thought there was a big difference in taste from the previous bottle. It just didn't taste as smooth and mature as I remembered.

David

I think Ed once mentioned (I bet he'll respond if I'm misremembering!) that HC rums vary a lot, because they don't control the longterm consistency of the rums and if the specific barrel has been aging for 7 years, then it will be bottled as HC 7yo even if did not taste like the previous patch of HC 7yo rum.

It is said that even the colour of the 7yo changes from year to year...

Still, I enjoy the HC rums, despite the surprising changes.