• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Redd in Yountville

jeffperez62

Looking for something new and I've seen this place in a few articles. Is it worth a stop? Any info (food,prices,wine list) would be helpful. Thanks

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

We loved our experiences at Redd. The Braised Pork Belly with Salsify Puree, Burdock, and Soy Caramel is worth the trip. The wine list needs some time to be fleshed out, but all in all we had great meals there (three times in one week since we were staying in Yountville). We ate at the bar all three times which I thought was nicer and warmer than the dining room.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

My wife and I went on December 3rd. I will save a detailed review for another visit after they've been open longer, but the bottom line is that we were VERY impressed with the food and service, and will put it on our list of regulars here in Yountville. The menu has sections of small plates and dinner portions which can be ordered a la carte, and you can also have either a 5 course or 9 course chef's tasting menu (9 course is $105). We opted for an appetizer (sashimi hamachi w/ edamame served over sticky rice...WONDERFUL), and one dinner each (skate for me and butternut squash ravioli for my wife). Also VERY good. I recommend this restaurant to anyone coming to wine country. I would say it is on a par with Martini House in St. Helena. My only negative comment would be on the decor (such as it is). The room is very plain and minimalist, perhaps working better in an urban environment than up here in wine country, where most ambience goes for warm and comfortable. Other than that, however, Richard Reddington has a hit on his hands.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I'll agree the dining room was somewhat sparse, which is why we opted to eat in the bar. I've also heard other people mention that for a wine country restaurant, it has a distinctly urban feel. To me, that isn't bad. The Valley is mostly rustic/contemporary French so it's nice to see a restaurant that feels more like San Francisco than Yountville. We were at Villagio Inn & Spa so we would just walk across the street. The convenience of that can't be beat.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

• 3 weeks later...

I have read the above article, but am looking for a little more info on Redd. Is there a website that i can't seem to find or any other sources of info on Redd other that what I can find with a Google search. Any recent egulleteer experieces etc. Thanks for the help!!

We ate there for the 2nd time last week. Our opinion was that it was not as good an experience as our first. We started with the rissotto with Maine lobster, which was outstanding. My wife followed with diver scallops, and I with Liberty Farms duck breast, neither of which was remarkable, either in their quality, preparation or presentation.

I have read good things on another board about their tasting menu, but have not tried it personally. The buzz around town is that the bar is the happening scene, with the restaurant being rather cold and austere. Service was good and friendly...not quite 5* quality, though.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

***1/2 from Michael Bauer.

Here is the article.

i was troubled by the fact that their 3.5 *'s stemmed from the atmosphere rating... wtf is that all about? shouldn't the push over the * edge be based on food?

• 1 month later...
Looking for something new and I've seen this place in a few articles. Is it worth a stop? Any info (food,prices,wine list) would be helpful.  Thanks

Made it to Redd for lunch yesterday and was very impressed in every regard. Friendly and professional service from the GM to the hostess to the five or so wait staff that brought our meals. The decor? If you like modern (and all four of us do) it is fabulous...has HHQ (high hipness quotient)...designed by famed New York design team Asfour Guzy...a couple of folks mentioned sitting at the bar instead of the dining room and I think that's a mistake...very comfortable room.

Then there's the food and wine...the wine list while not super extensive is quite good...no problem finding a special bottle at a wide variety of price points...we had the Forman chardonnay with our first courses...tuna and hamachi tartare with apple mustard dressing (YUM), hama hama oysters with champagne mignonette, the freshest Romaine slad of all-time, and the lettuce cups stuffed with stir fried chicken in chili oil...each of these starters were delectable.

On to the El Molino pinot noir which paired perfectly with my duck confit tartine with white bean puree...my wife loved her shrimp salad with butter lettuce, avocado and bacon while another in our party savored about her carmelized diver scallops dish. Can't say I tasted any of the desserts although the Meyer lemon panna cotta with citrus salad and blood orange sorbet was a sight to behold...I opted for the cheeses which come from Minnesota, Vermont, Central Alps and even California.

I'm giving it a nine on a scale of one to ten...will gladly go back again...next stop? Press in St Helena.