• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Bambou Vert

carswell

Some friends on a post-holidays budget are proposing this Chinese resto for dinner next week. A Google search turns up zero feedback on the place, which I find odd and a little worrisome, so I thought I'd ask here before volunteering my services as a guinea pig or trying to get them to change for Beijing or Niu Kee.

Le Bambou Vert

475 St Laurent, corner Notre-Dame

Montreal, QC H2Y 2Y7

514 868-0666

???? on the corner ? me seems to remember it's a thai/vietnamese/sushi place.but I might be wrong.

you are correct and i would definitely pass on this one. i went there once a few years ago and was very unimpressed. it is essentially a second rate vietnamese restaurant that tries to differentiate itself by offering third rate thai food. i don't remember there being any sushi but god knows what that is like. furthermore, it is overpriced.

You would be much better off at Beijing or even Kam Fung.

Edited by thomasein (log)

Thanks for the info and reccos, all.

A chowhounder has noted that Le Bambou Vert is no more, having been upscaled into Taï nature. According to Voir's November 17, 2005, review, they claim to serve SE Asian cuisne santé, including sushi, at more or less double the former price. While reviewer Gagné seemed happy with his meal, his descriptions make it sound like a place that does many things, none of them particularly well. It's not my decision to make but I imagine we'll be going elsewhere; if not, I'll report back here.