• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chorizo source

shacke

At the RTM, IIRC, you might want to check Martin's. Also, (and this came as a surprise) I seem to recall Harry Ochs carrying it (or was that lingua?), which a friend who regularly travels to and cooks in Iberia deemed quite nice. Also, Downtown Cheese might have some, given that they sell Spanish ham.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

where else but dibrunos on chestnut. i was there and bought some this weekend. they had palacios brand for $7 or $8 for 9 oz, available hot or breakfast style (thinner, maybe spiced differently? i don't know, it just said breakfast). they also have a handmade one for like $18 a pound that rocks--it's much thicker (like 2" compared to 1" or so), and full of big chunks of seasoned pork. if you read chrisamirault's blog, it looks like the chourice he got for making caldo verde, and i've used it for that.

where else but dibrunos on chestnut.  i was there and bought some this weekend.  they had palacios brand for $7 or $8 for 9 oz, available hot or breakfast style (thinner, maybe spiced differently?  i don't know, it just said breakfast).  they also have a handmade one for like $18 a pound that rocks--it's much thicker (like 2" compared to 1" or so), and full of big chunks of seasoned pork.  if you read chrisamirault's blog, it looks like the chourice he got for making caldo verde, and i've used it for that.

Perfect. I was hoping to pick some up in CC and I think I will hit Dibruno's or RTM.

Could be a record for quickest open-closed egullet thread.... good night and luck....

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

where else but dibrunos on chestnut.  i was there and bought some this weekend.  they had palacios brand for $7 or $8 for 9 oz, available hot or breakfast style (thinner, maybe spiced differently?  i don't know, it just said breakfast).  they also have a handmade one for like $18 a pound that rocks--it's much thicker (like 2" compared to 1" or so), and full of big chunks of seasoned pork.  if you read chrisamirault's blog, it looks like the chourice he got for making caldo verde, and i've used it for that.

That would be "chourico", I think - the "c"'s supposed to have a cedilha, so the sound is sort of like "chourice" - . That's just the Portuguese spelling of chorizo. You could say it differs from the Spanish, but then over there every village has its own version. "Lingua"... that's tongue. Do you mean "linguica" (again, cedilha)? It would look like chorizo's scrawny cousin.

"Big chunks of seasoned pork" just sounds *wrong*. The entire charm of the stuff is playing "Identify the Meat-Like Substance".

Amazing that DiBruno's would have that many cured saussages available, though. I definitely have to look more closely, even if they cost several times what I'd pay in North Philly - if I could find a Portuguese grocery, that is.

That would be "chourico", I think - the "c"'s supposed to have a cedilha, so the sound is sort of like "chourice" - . That's just the Portuguese spelling of chorizo.

yeah i'm just kinda making up spellings there. sorry.

You could say it differs from the Spanish, but then over there every village has its own version. "Lingua"... that's tongue. Do you mean "linguica" (again, cedilha)? It would look like chorizo's scrawny cousin.

i didn't say lingua, did i? i'm kinda confused.

i asked lisa to see if they could get portuguese chouriço (spelling it right?) but i haven't checked back to see if they have.

"Big chunks of seasoned pork" just sounds *wrong*. The entire charm of the stuff is playing "Identify the Meat-Like Substance".

well, i probably described it wrong... how can i say--the texture is different. it IS bigger and chunkier in the casing, and not totally homogenous. the pieces aren't identifiable per se, but it's... different. it tastes frickin great though.

they also carry lomo, the spanish cured pork loin, salchichon de vic, which is kinda like spanish salami, and morcillas.

Amazing that DiBruno's would have that many cured saussages available, though. I definitely have to look more closely, even if they cost several times what I'd pay in North Philly - if I could find a Portuguese grocery, that is.

their charcuterie area rocks, really. i'm always finding coolio cured meats there that i hadn't noticed before.

I could probably find out where Amada buys their authentic Spanish charcuterie meats, but it might not be local.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i asked lisa to see if they could get portuguese chouriço (spelling it right?) but i haven't checked back to see if they have. 

Not available for import right now. No specific reason, the USDA is moody.

well, i probably described it wrong... how can i say--the texture is different. it IS bigger and chunkier in the casing, and not totally homogenous. the pieces aren't identifiable per se, but it's... different. it tastes frickin great though.

It's handmade - seasoned chunks stuffed into pigskin the whole piece is about 4 ft long and usually has a snout on the end! Known by the purveyor as 'chorizo cular' if that helps.

"they also carry lomo, the spanish cured pork loin, salchichon de vic, which is kinda like spanish salami, and morcillas.

The morcilla is a domestic version, although a good rendition.

their charcuterie area rocks, really. i'm always finding coolio cured meats there that i hadn't noticed before.

I agree - I love it over there. Try the lardo or guanciale!

I messed up the quotes, it's been a long day - I apologize.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I don't have any comments, but I fixed the quotes, so it might be easier to follow. Thanks for the info Lisa!

Not available for import right now. No specific reason, the USDA is moody.

It's handmade - seasoned chunks stuffed into pigskin the whole piece is about 4 ft long and usually has a snout on the end! Known by the purveyor as 'chorizo cular' if that helps.

"they also carry lomo, the spanish cured pork loin, salchichon de vic, which is kinda like spanish salami, and morcillas.

The morcilla is a domestic version, although a good rendition.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

This is the place you need to go. It's Portuguese, but you'll find what you need there. Not just chorizo, but other sausage, dried salted cod, fresh meat, poultry and fish and (god help us and our waistlines...) cheeses from the mountains of Portugal. It's a great place, and I go there whenever I'm in town to stock up on the essentials.

LOPES SEAFOOD & MINI MARKET

501 E. FOURTH ST.

BETHLEHEM, PA

Phone: (717) 691-0124

There is parking in the rear of the store, call for their hours. I know they are open on Saturday. Check out downtown Bethlehem while you are there, particularly the Bethlehem Brew Works. If you like good beer, you won't be disappointed.

This is the place you need to go.  It's Portuguese, but you'll find what you need there.  Not just chorizo, but other sausage, dried salted cod, fresh meat, poultry and fish and (god help us and our waistlines...) cheeses from the mountains of Portugal.  It's a great place, and I go there whenever I'm in town to stock up on the essentials.

501 E. FOURTH ST.

BETHLEHEM, PA

There is parking in the rear of the store, call for their hours.  I know they are open on Saturday.  Check out downtown Bethlehem while you are there, particularly the Bethlehem Brew Works.  If you like good beer, you won't be disappointed.

That is so cool. I'm going to be in Allentown this weekend, too. Thanks!

This is the place you need to go.  It's Portuguese, but you'll find what you need there.  Not just chorizo, but other sausage, dried salted cod, fresh meat, poultry and fish and (god help us and our waistlines...) cheeses from the mountains of Portugal.  It's a great place, and I go there whenever I'm in town to stock up on the essentials.

501 E. FOURTH ST.

BETHLEHEM, PA

There is parking in the rear of the store, call for their hours.  I know they are open on Saturday.  Check out downtown Bethlehem while you are there, particularly the Bethlehem Brew Works.  If you like good beer, you won't be disappointed.

That is so cool. I'm going to be in Allentown this weekend, too. Thanks!

I can judge from your level of excitement that there's a slew of homemade dishes waiting to happen. So when's the Portuguese feast, my friend?? :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

These are the places I have found Spanish chorizo in the western 'burbs:

Ardmore Farmer's Market at the cheese stand

Wegman's in Exton

And at grocery stores that sell D'artagnan products. D'artagnan makes a chorizo-style sausage which is very good, but differs from the more authentic one in that it is less dry, less fatty and slightly less spicy. I think it's worth trying, since it's easily available.

And totally unrelated but very Spanish... both the cheese stand at Ardmore and Wegman's have anchovy-stuffed olives, which are totally addicting (and actually less salty than regular olives) and a great and easy tapa.

501 E. FOURTH ST.

BETHLEHEM, PA

I'm afraid they're no longer there. The space is vacant, and the number (which matches an online listing I found) seems to reach a private party.

Back to the drawing board for me.

501 E. FOURTH ST.

BETHLEHEM, PA

I'm afraid they're no longer there. The space is vacant, and the number (which matches an online listing I found) seems to reach a private party.

Back to the drawing board for me.

Ugh!! Sorry about the confusion. He moved to a bigger place a while ago. It's about three blocks away, and the area code is different now. They are most definately still there!!

Give them a call at the number below!

Sorry if you wasted a trip Capaneus!

Lopes Seafood

833 East 4th Street, Bethlehem, PA 18015

(610) 691-0124

Edited by Tkrup (log)

Got my fix at Dibruno's thanks. Also got a spanish sampler of cheese along with those sickengly good honey roasted pecans.

Looked for bomba rice for paella and they didn't have it. I could have sworn it had been there before in a little canvas sack. Looked for Lisa to say hi and inquire. The cashier said she was around somewhere but oh well......

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

The Mexican place at Reading Terminal is where we always buy ours. It's squishier than the Martin's chorizo....tastes good to me! I like their Chihuaha cheese there too.

I use that for flavoring ground meat dishes and love it. But the Mexican "squishy" chorizo is a different animal (even if they are both made from pig) from the Iberian version. Like the difference between mortadello and soppresetta.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 5 months later...