• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Great British Pork Pie

One small step for fatmat, a giant leap for the credibility of British food on eGullet. Bravo and I'm feeling very, very hungry.

i haven't stopped thinking about that goddamn pie since i first read it. i'm gonna have to make one soon. my problem is, since i've never had one i'm not sure if i'll be doing it right...

One small step for fatmat, a giant leap for the credibility of British food on eGullet. Bravo and I'm feeling very, very hungry.

i haven't stopped thinking about that goddamn pie since i first read it. i'm gonna have to make one soon. my problem is, since i've never had one i'm not sure if i'll be doing it right...

If it makes you feel kinda dirty... a little ashamed... slightly embarassed... then you know you got it right.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

i haven't stopped thinking about that goddamn pie since i first read it.  i'm gonna have to make one soon.  my problem is, since i've never had one i'm not sure if i'll be doing it right...

Give it a go Mr B... If I can offer any help at all, just ask.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I can't find anywhere here that has anchovy essence. :<

Would a good asian fish sauce be an acceptable substitute?

I might have to give this a try-- fatmat, that is one awesome

looking pork pie!! I have /got/ to have some!

Any help is appreciated,

_Jesse Williamson ;-};

Hi,

I can't find anywhere here that has anchovy essence. :<

Would a good asian fish sauce be an acceptable substitute?

I might have to give this a try-- fatmat, that is one awesome

looking pork pie!! I have /got/ to have some!

Any help is appreciated,

_Jesse Williamson ;-};

Regarding anchovy essence, if there is a Cost Plus World Market near you, they sometimes carry anchovy paste in squeeze tubes.

Cost Plus World Market Store Locator for Oregon.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Toliver,

Regarding anchovy essence, if there is a Cost Plus World Market near you,  they sometimes carry anchovy paste in squeeze tubes.

Thanks very much for pointing out Cost Plus World Market! We don't have one close to us, so

we went ahead with the fish sauce. I'm pleased to say that the result was very tasty!

The result: An American tries to make British Pork Pie.

Thanks for your help,

_Jesse Williamson ;-};

• 3 years later...

Well done indeed, looks just yumpcious. Good stick of 'dirty' celery wouldn't go amiss with that. I was puzzled by the 'grey' comment, I have never seen a proper pie with a grey middle, only mass produced ones not worth puting on the plate.

Maybe I should get off my behind and do the same thing with a Scotch Mutton pie. Anyway thanks.

I think that the "grey" comment is a reference to something I wrote on the thread. This is a slice of Mrs King’s Melton Mowbray pork pie, one of the greats. In "Tradional Foods of Britain (Laura Mason with Catherine Brown) describes a MM pie as "greyish-pink and white". Essentially if you have a pork pie with a bright pink interior the meat has been brined (or dyed) and is not a MM pork pie, which I think was part of the original discussion.

gallery_1643_6447_345628.jpg