• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

German Restaurants

Lemons

We are looking for a good German restaurant in northern NJ. I read on this board about Kirkner's in Hawthorn but can't find out anything about it. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks

Hi My favorite food is German food . I am German and have to say that the best German restaurant in New Jersey is the Black Forrest Inn in Stanhope, right off of 80. It is also the most expensive, but well worth a special occasion.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Been to both and both are great in different ways. I'd best describe (look for my posts and you'll see comments on both too) kirkers as "homey / flashback 50's semi-smoke-filled diner style" I have asthma and can't sit near the bar but the other room is good, the food is like "mom" would make, gracious serving sizes and great taste and real good prices. Black Forest is more upscale and very tasty I took my inlaws there but it was lost on them more or less... and more modern also they are about 2 and 3x the price but the quality is worth it as well. So if I were you I'd toss a coin go "comfy" to kirkers or dress up a wee bit and go to Black Forest (I wouldn't go there in jogging pants or jeans LOL) you'll find that you may like both but I love the weis beer at kirkers and his home-made strudel and the authentic taste of his "mutant" (I've had HUGE duck servings there!) ducks, when he has them. Hubby loved the "game" dish at Black Forest, I had duck at both but each one was different and great! :wub:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

We are looking for a good German restaurant in northern NJ. I read on this board about Kirkner's in Hawthorn but can't find out anything about it. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks

What about Triangle Hofbrau on Route 23 in Pequannock (I think)? I've never been but had heard good things about it a number of years ago and everytime I drive by I think we should try it.

Dana

Thanks

What about Triangle Hofbrau on Route 23 in Pequannock (I think)? I've never been but had heard good things about it a number of years ago and everytime I drive by I think we should try it.

Dana

Triangle Hofbrau is really nothing special....at all. I go for lunch sometimes for a change of pace. Black Forest Inn is far better and not that far from the Hofbrau.

Triangle Is Ok in its own unique way. I see it as a German diner, so to speak. The sauerbraten and knoedel are decent. The salads are straight out of dinerville -iceberg , tomato slice, raw onion, and a spicy Russian dressing on top. The bread and rolls taste like they were supermarket bought, pulled right from a platic bag. If you go for lunch and order from the lunch menu, you receive the same meal as dinner time on weekends, at least, for a lot less money. I go there once in a while because it it close. Went to Helmers about a year ago and enjoyed it. They had fresh German beers on tap. Kind of a cozy place. I'd still vote for the Black Forrest Inn.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Thanks for all of your comments. It's too bad, but I guess that we just don't have that many decent German restaurants in the area. The Black Forest Inn sounds great but it's a bit of a trip. I'll keep it in mind for a nice day when we want to take a ride.

Thanks again for your suggestions.