• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

freezing foie?

chezcherie

just heard from a friend who purchased about 1 lb vacuum sealed foie gras for new yrs. things got hectic and it's still in the fridge today (the 4th). her question--can she freeze it at this point, or is she committed to foie-ing tonight? (not that that's a bad thing.)

i have no experience with "left over" foie, so i turn to the experts for advice. thanks.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Was it frozen, thawed, and the question is whether it can refreeze? No idea if that works or not. I've recently purchased foie that was frozen rock solid and it thawed and was delicious.

I know it freezes well... I don't know if it refreezes well.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

not frozen to begin with...thanks for that, it didn't occur to me. (and now, as i type, it occurs to me that just because she bought it that way doesn't mean it wasn't frozen and defrosted at the foie store...will have her check that.)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Simple enough - if it was already frozen and then defrosted, do not freeze again. If fresh, no problem but not to use it later as sauteed slices of foie gras but only in making pates or terrines as the texture will indeed be harmed by the freezing process.

I assume that it's fresh raw foie gras and the vacuum seal is still unbroken. If it has already been prepared, mi-cuit etc then there's much less of an issue. Even if it's been previously frozen, it can be refrozen, although it will degrade somewhat. Foie does not suffer the refreezing problems (ammonia) that you encounter with seafood. Four days after purchase is nearing the edge of freshness as it was at least a few days old before that. I would use what you want ASAP and freeze the rest.

Daniel is absolutely correct, frozen foie gras does not sear as well, period. It will still make a fine terrine. Color and flavor are not compromised much provided it's still in good shape when frozen, vacuum sealed and not kept more than a few months. I would stress that it's much better to freeze it vacuum packed if possible.

Good topic. SImply because I had a small 100gm block, mi cuit, vac packed, and sat in the back of the meat compartment in the 'fridge for 3 months. Cut the pack, trimmed off some grey bits, brought to room temp, no worries. Still alive.... me, that is...

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"