• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drowning in Amberjack and Wahoo

NewYorkTexan

After a weekend of deep-sea fishing, I now find myself with a mountain of Amberjack and Wahoo fillets. Anyone have creative suggestions for recipes? We had sashimi on the boat along with each night having them simply grilled, sautéed and fried.

How else should I prepare them?

I have often found amberjack to have problems with parasites in the flesh.  As you enjoyed sashimi, I am guessing that you did not find any such offending organisms when you cleaned your fish.

We only ate the Wahoo on board as sashimi. Amberjack being a bottom-feeder, I was not about to eat it raw.

Liza-Can you give additional details about how to slow roast the Wahoo. I’d be happy for a hands-on demonstration if you find yourself in Austin.

I've never had Amberjack, but wahoo you can do a lot. Add a little lemon pepper and creole seasoning and either broil it or grill it. I like to make a mango, jicama, and pineapple salsa, with some finely diced jalapeno. Then mix some sour cream with a little lime juice. :biggrin:

I've never had Amberjack, but wahoo you can do a lot.  Add a little lemon pepper and creole seasoning and either broil it or grill it.  I like to make a mango, jicama, and pineapple salsa, with some finely diced jalapeno.  Then mix some sour cream with a little lime juice.  :biggrin:

Wow.

That sounds wonderful :smile:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've done this many times with striped bass. Cut into same size filets and wrap each piece in plastic wrap, pretty securely. Bring the water to 160 degrees and poach about 10-15 minutes. It's a technique I learned from Rocco DiSpirito and he says it works for any protein, keeping it tender and juicy. Just last night on Julia Child's "Cooking with Master Chefs" series, Jeremiah Towers poached a whole roasting chicken, and it looked incredibly juicy. But that's another thread...