• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good food recs in East London and Bridgwater?

Hi everyone;

My husband and I are spending a long weekend in the UK towards the end of January. We are spending two days in Bridgwater visiting his mother and older sister and then three days in London - staying in East London.

My mouth is already watering for good curry so any recs there would be good..but would also like some good pub recommendations (hub is Scots) and maybe a higher end rec for a nice dinner out.

Thanks so much in advance.

Cheers!

JeAnne

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS

The Willow Tree restaurant in Taunton is well worth a visit while you're in the area (it's my favourite place to eat out when I'm staying in Bridgwater). It would be a 'nice dinner out', but is really good value for money; it stands out locally and has won various awards. The food is superb, and there are always good vegetarian choices too.

I don't tend to eat out in Bridgwater itself - Taste of India is supposed to be a good Indian (at least by local standards) but my sister had a really bad experience of being hurried out so they could accommodate a second sitting. As that's a pet hate of mine, I've never tried the place.

Caroline

Thanks Caroline for the recommendation..I will definitely check out the Willow Tree. I also hate being rushed...especially as Chaz and I aren't exactly huge loungers over dinner.

Anyone else? I'll have to try to search some threads for east london recs as I'm sure there are some here.

Thank you again :wub:

JeAnne

-BtVS

Thank you Mark for your response. We splurged for the hotel (a much needed therapy after the family reunion I'm sure!) and will be staying at the Threadneedles.

JeAnne

London is a large city (some 600 square miles).  East London is also large, divided into east London (north of the Thames) and southeast London (south of the Thames).  Can you be more specific in where you will be based?

-BtVS

London can be spatially confusing. You are staying right in the heart of 'the City', London's financial centre. You will be spoilt for choice in terms of restaurants within both walking and taxi distance.

A good bet would be to try an online restaurant guide (such as www.squaremeal.co.uk) and remember that anything with the following postcodes is within reach: EC1***, EC2***, EC3***, EC4***, E1***, WC1***, WC2***.

I no longer live in London- but my two pennies worth would include dining at Tayyabs in Whitechapel. Check out the New Tayyabs thread which currently on Page 2 of this forum. Excellent and reasonable Pakistani food. That thread will give you lots of hints as to what to eat.

Pubs- I really liked The Grapes on Narrow Street, Limehouse which overlooks the river, as does the Prospect of Whitby.

The Gun at Cold Harbour is also good- but circeplum is the person to ask about eating there.

Enjoy.