• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Tart Dough

Coll

I am looking for a great recipe for a chocolate tart dough. I have a few, but they either seem to be a bit on the dry side and have a tendancy to break or they are extremely wet and difficult to handle.

Any suggestions?

I have had the same problem and have yet to find a good recipe, so when I want that chocolate dough, I either use chocolate cookie crumbs to make a crust (like a graham cracker crust) or I make the usual pate brisee and brush it with melted chocolate after it is baked.

S. Cue

Over in the Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme thread, Foodman recommends the dough in Nayla's Tart. It's on p. 99.

(I haven't tried that recipe, but everything else I've made from the book has been fantastic!)

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

Here's a recipe fom Claudia Fleming of Gramecy Tavern. She used this dough to make her chocolate caramel tarts.

Chocolate tart dough

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar

1 large egg yolk

3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling

1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar until combined, about 1 minute. Add egg yolk and vanilla, and beat until smooth. Sift in flour and cocoa powder, and beat on low speed until just combined. Scrape the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap, and form it into a disk; wrap well. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.

Bake at 325 F.

Here is my all purpose chocolate dough

Chocolate Tart Dough

2 1/2 pounds butter

2 1/2 pounds sugar

405 grams egg yolks

2 whole eggs

3 1/8 pounds all-purpose flour

14 ounces cocoa powder

2 1/2 teaspoons salt

Cream butter and sugar until light. Add yolks and whole eggs. Sift dry ingredients. Add and mix until combined. Chill for 4 hours before rolling out. This dough is used for tart shells and "oreos" as well as can be rolled thin and used for garnishes

Edited by bripastryguy (log)

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

• 4 months later...
Here's a recipe fom Claudia Fleming of Gramecy Tavern. She used this dough to make her chocolate caramel tarts.

Chocolate tart dough

8  tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1/2  cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar

1  large egg yolk

3/4  teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar until combined, about 1 minute. Add egg yolk and vanilla, and beat until smooth. Sift in flour and cocoa powder, and beat on low speed until just combined. Scrape the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap, and form it into a disk; wrap well. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.

Bake at 325 F.

Thanks for this recipe. It's my new favourite chocolate tart dough. It's easy to work with, the flavour is great, and the tart shell makes up nice and crisp. :smile:

Chocolate tart dough

8  tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1/2  cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar

1  large egg yolk

3/4  teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Bake at 325 F.

Mmmmmm...looks delicious! How many tarts would this make? I'm guessing one 9"x1" tart or a few 4"x1" ones? Japanese tart pans tend to be smaller (usually the largest is about 8", but most are 4-6"), so I usually end up with leftovers (not that that's a bad thing, but I prefer to make what I need).

I had enough tart dough for exactly 6 individual tarts with a bit of scrap left over. Each tart was quite large...probably a 4" diameter across the bottom, with 2" fluted edges.

142632930_14100ae0c7.jpg

I remember that picture well. :wub: Nuts and caramel--my idea of a perfect dessert!

2" fluted edges (we're talking inches, right?)? The picture makes the edges look a little shorter. I'll have to see if I can find 4"x2" pans here. I have several 8cm by 2.5 cm pans, and a couple of 15cm by 3-ish cm pans. I'm sure my 8cm pans will do fine, but they don't have removable bottoms, and it's always nice to have removable bottoms.

Yes, it's the angle of the picture that makes the tarts look shorter. Those individual tarts were big--I used the entire bar of Valrhona (I think it's something like 9 ounces? 9.07 ounces?) to fill 3 tarts!

Did you ever post how you did the caramel/nut part? I remember waiting for it to show up, but I don't recall seeing it (and then I probably forgot about it). I suppose this is the wrong place for it, but if you haven't already posted the rest of that recipe, and have the time and inclination, I'd love to see it!

I'm going to have to do all my tart/pie crust making very soon. It's getting much to warm in Japan to do any kind of pastry making.

I didn't use a recipe for the cashew caramel. I just eyeballed everything...I've made caramel a million times. Just burn the sugar, add more butter and cream than most recipes call for, a bit of fleur de sel, and the nuts. Give it a stir and place it on your ganache.

I didn't use a recipe for the bark either. I just burned the sugar, spread it on a Silpat, then sprinkled some cocoa nibs and cashews on the caramel while it's still hot and sticky. It will cool in about 10 minutes, and then you can break it into pieces.