• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EG's Chris Cognac to appear on Iron Chef

TrishCT

I heard through the grapevine that Chris Cognac, a/k/a the Culinary Detective, is going to appear as a judge on the Food Network show Iron Chef.

That is so cool! details, i want details! when will it be? i'll be in america for some of jan and feb......

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

That is one I will have to watch! I hope that he will post later about his experience if he can.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I leave in 2 weeks for NYC and will judge a couple of battles. I am pretty stoked as it should be a lot of fun. I am just hoping its not battle frog or lizard!

Hell, frog would be good and lizard in the right hands? :raz::laugh:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

That's awesome Chris! Enjoy yourself.

I'm a "celebrity judge" for a local Philly food competition in a couple of weeks but will hopefully be able to retain my anonymity on a national level. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I leave in 2 weeks for NYC and will judge a couple of battles. I am pretty stoked as it should be a lot of fun. I am just hoping its not battle frog or lizard!

You can't say you've lived until you have a platter of frog ribs placed in front of you. Besides, we're talking Iron Chef America: how exotic could the ingredients be?

I hope you do write about your stint on the two episodes, perhaps giving commentary after each of them airs?

Chris, this is awesome! Any idea of what the secret ingredient will be? Maybe it will be a dessert theme for Valentine's Day....?

I caught a recent IC episode with Bobby Flay v. The Two Hot Tamales, it was pretty entertaining. The ladies did very well...except for their sorbet... Still they managed to eke out a tie.

Oh...it's cold in New York right now, bring a trench coat... :cool:

Edited by TrishCT (log)

Who are the chefs? I heard John Besh of Restaurant August (New Orleans) will go up against Bobby Flay. Is this one of the battles that you'll be judging?

Dude. Besh was a real Marine. In a war. That kind of Marine. Flay will end up cowering in a corner and if they use seafood, he might as well just help John cook. It will be another "no mas, no mas" kind of event.

And he has 4 young children. And a high powered lawyer of a wife. And he served free food in a hurricane disaster area. Nothing will phase him. Flay would be toast.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Who are the chefs? I heard John Besh of Restaurant August (New Orleans) will go up against Bobby Flay. Is this one of the battles that you'll be judging?

Dude. Besh was a real Marine. In a war. That kind of Marine. Flay will end up cowering in a corner and if they use seafood, he might as well just help John cook. It will be another "no mas, no mas" kind of event.

I should say that I "heard" this from Besh's PR agent, so it's not a rumor. And yeah, I expect that Bobby will be begging for mercy when all is said and done.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Flay would be toast.

Maybe it will be time to officially change the spelling to "Flail." :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

This may be the one Iron Chef episode that is a must see.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I am judging 2 Flay battles, on the 24th and 25th...dont know and dont want to know the ingredient. I will be writing about it for my paper and maybe USA Weekend (to which I contribute some stuff)...

I would really like it to be something that they can both work with....Onion would work well...garlic.....Lobster!....I am thinking they will be more exotic because they have been through most of the ingredients in the first 2 seasons....oh, battle ribs?....Battle Chili pepper.....

I am trying to decide which of my wild shirts to bring.....(some of you are aware of my "shirt thing")

I understand that its pretty damn cold and had to buy a pair of jeans....I just repo'd my jacket from a buddy.....

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

But I'll bet that no enemy combatants have ever thrown the "jump onto the cutting board" move on Besh. So there's that.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Nothing will phase him. Flay would be toast.

You say that, but what if Flay has R. Lee Ermey as a sous chef? I'm not a Flay fan, but I'm just sayin'...

Oh, yeah, ooh-rah! That's what I'm sayin'.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

But I'll bet that no enemy combatants have ever thrown the "jump onto the cutting board" move on Besh. So there's that.

Well, some weiner jumping on a cutting board probably isn't as scary as Scuds and 7.62 steel core ammo coming at you when there's nothing to hide behind but sand piles. He can take it.

I have to admit, other than battle hamburger, which I only watched because my buddy John T Edge was judging, I haven't seen a complete episode. But when a homeboy is up there in world famous Kitchen Stadium I will be glued to his every whack of of the cleaver.

gallery_10237_1793_379505.jpg

John Besh among the ruins. Jarhead Chef with gnocchi and truffles.

(This photo, just to be clear, was taken by me and it is not in any way representative of the fine level work that David Grunfeld does with me at Chile Pepper (David's another tough guy-bonafied bad deal photographer). Buy the magazine, or at least look at it on the rack, or maybe just steal it, because this is pretty sad compared to the real deal. I should really be ashamed of myself.)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I should really be ashamed of myself.)

Not at all, Brooks, not at all.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Mayhaw Maw, can you find out if Besh is on the 24 or 25th? I would love to have one of his battles......Hell, he might be fun to just have a few drinks w in NYC and talk food/war....trust me, those 2 subjects go together well.....what do you think I dreamed about in my foxhole for 9 months...food dammit!

Battle Sausage...now that could work....all different kinds...oh yea.....damn I am getting hungry and have to go to work...

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Battle Sausage...now that

sounds like most every war I know.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.