• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

help! fried chicken! stat!

dvs

ok, so we're making buttermilk fried chicken. we don't have a meat therm to tell us whether the oil is ready. how do we tell?? THANK YOU FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!

we're looking for a temp of 350 to fry it for 12 minutes on one side and cook until done (?!) on the other side...

if the oil sizzles when you drop a droplet of water in it, you're pretty much good to go I think. I've got chicken soaking in buttermilk as I type. Good luck!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I always test the oil with a cube of bread. It should brown and crisp in 30-40 seconds.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I sprinkle a drop of water onto the oil...if it bubbles up fast and has a hollow sound to it, it's ready.

Just duck to avoid the hot grease splatter. :)

I use a mesh pan cover to avoid the splatter.

Just a hint:  Water and Hot Oil....NOT Good!!!!  Can you say spitting and grease fire?

I'd use the last two methods as a test.

This is true. In my long ago (1976) days at a fast food place (Gino's), the initiation for a first timer working the french fry vat was we'd sneak a piece of ice in the vat when his/her back was turned. Several seconds later, the vat would bubble and sputter (not enough to cause injury) and we'd all run over yelling "What did you do?, What did you do?"

Most folks saw the humor after being pissed off at first.

ok, so we're making buttermilk fried chicken. we don't have a meat therm to tell us whether the oil is ready. how do we tell?? THANK YOU FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!

we're looking for a temp of 350 to fry it for 12 minutes on one side and cook until done (?!) on the other side...

If you bought a whole chicken and cut it up yourself, breading and frying the tail makes a good "test run".

PS: A bit Off-Topic, but since today is Christmas by the old calendar the Orthodox churches still use, I'll sneak this story in:

Before modern political considerations took over, a primary source of conflict in East-Central Europe was differences between the Catholic and Orthodox branches of Christianity.

My maternal grandmother used to call the chicken's tail the "bishkoup" in Serbian. This translates literally as "bishop's hat", and was intended as a slur against the Catholic Church. To make things worse, my grandmother used to tell us it meant "Pope's Nose".

SB :wink: