• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saffron – The Topic

chromedome

I'm a very happy camper, tonight. A well-connected friend Stateside has sent me a full ounce of quality Spanish saffron. I've been out to the kitchen three times in the last two hours to take off the lid and sniff it and giggle to myself in sheer delight. Sure is great to know a guy who knows a guy, isn't it?

Anyway...I frequently make basmati with saffron, one of the few modest indulgences I can budget for. And of course, I'll be off to the Italian Centre in the next day or two for some Carnaroli to make myself a nice risotto; and I'll be combing favourite books and websites for ways to take advantage of this windfall.

However, with the Web's finest resource right here in my home away from home, I just gotta ask...what would you folks do with an extravagant quantity of saffron?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Bake with it!

Swedes make a sweetish roll at Christmas time that you could easily recreate with a challa-like dough (use milk instead of water and let a good pinch of saffron steep in the milk for, say, 24 hours beforehand). They make "S"-shaped buns with a raisin studden in each curl but don't let that limit your imagination. Or try making cinnamon buns with a pinch of saffron included in that dough. I do recommend the long steeping of the saffron as it really gets a deep flavor out of it.

Of course, fish stews are awfully tasty with a pinch of saffran in the broth, too.

i love saffron and tomato together, and think saffron lends (or extends) a seafood flavor...very luxuriantly. i like to roast fish (halibut, rockfish) on a bed of thick saffrony tomato sauce made from sauteed leeks, fennel, onion & garlic, saffron and tomatoes (chopped - fresh in summer, canned in winter). sometimes i add capers and kalamatas. i usually bloom the saffron in some water or gently warmed tomato juice for that dish, and then add it to the sauce off heat as i prepare the fish. it's very good served in shallow bowls with bread for mopping.

saffron cream with peas...drool. good one.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

i love saffron and tomato together, and think saffron lends (or extends) a seafood flavor...very luxuriantly. i like to roast fish (halibut, rockfish) on a bed of thick saffrony tomato sauce made from sauteed leeks, fennel, onion & garlic, saffron and tomatoes (chopped - fresh in summer, canned in winter). sometimes i add capers and kalamatas. i usually bloom the saffron in some water or gently warmed tomato juice for that dish, and then add it to the sauce off heat as i prepare the fish. it's very good served in shallow bowls with bread for mopping.

saffron cream with peas...drool. good one.

Adding a little saffron to pistachio ice cream is wonderful.;

I will have to dig out the recipe, it's not in my computer, for a saffron butter sauce for lobster

(langoustine in saffron butter sauce) a recipe taught in my first class on French cooking, many, many years ago, by Chef Gregoire.

It has been quite a few years since I even thought of it but I know it included cream and butter, the saffron, of course, and white wine. It had either garlic or shallot, maybe something else. I am so glad you mentioned this. I haven't thought of this for years. An old friend.

I also make a Saffron cake, a Cornish traditional type cake. Keeps well.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a dish that involves a puree of cauliflower, cardamom, saffron, and chorizo, also tons of heavy cream and butter. It is quite luxurious, beautiful in color, and potent and full in flavor.

If you dislike cauliflower I imagine one could make it with potatos as well.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I second the paella suggestion. Heavenly. If you don't happen to have a few hours to spend on the prep., I have a very passable and much quicker recipe from Mark Bittman. PM me if you would like it. :smile:

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I will have to dig out the recipe, it's not in my computer, for a saffron butter sauce for lobster

(langoustine in saffron butter sauce) a recipe taught in my first class on French cooking, many, many years ago, by Chef Gregoire. 

It has been quite a few years since I even thought of it but I know it included cream and butter, the saffron, of course, and white wine.  It had either garlic or shallot, maybe something else.  I am so glad you mentioned this.  I haven't thought of this for years.  An old friend. 

I also make a Saffron cake, a Cornish traditional type cake.  Keeps well.

Oooooohhhhh...sounds good. I seldom spring for lobster (what can I say, I'm a Nova Scotian...we sell those to the tourists), but I'm thinking it would be damned good on halibut. The Cornish cake sounds interesting, too.

I have a dish that involves a puree of cauliflower, cardamom, saffron, and chorizo, also tons of heavy cream and butter.  It is quite luxurious, beautiful in color, and potent and full in flavor.

If you dislike cauliflower I imagine one could make it with potatos as well.

Potatoes. Definitely potatoes. And we just happen to have some pretty decent chorizo at work right now (where I get a staff discount on purchases, mwahhahahhaahh...).

Saffron, Cardamom and Almonds ground with milk and sugar = Thandai.  :wub:

It's a great Indian Milk shake, for want of a better description.

I always have almonds and cardamom in the house. That sounds really good. I'd assume you steep the saffron in the milk for a time, first? Or is this one of those dishes where the milk is simmered for a while with the aromatics?

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll let you all know what I make, and how it turned out (perhaps even pictures, if I can coax a few decent shots out of my cheesy bottom-end digital camera).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I always have almonds and cardamom in the house.  That sounds really good.  I'd assume you steep the saffron in the milk for a time, first?  Or is this one of those dishes where the milk is simmered for a while with the aromatics?

Thandai for two:

20 almonds blanched and peeled

2 Cardamoms peeled

Sugar to taste (about 4 tablespoons)

1 1/2 glass chilled milk

about 10 strands of saffron steeped for a few hours in 3 tablespoons of hot milk

Grind everything to a fine paste gradually adding the chilled milk. Serve with ice cubes in a tall glass.

The real version calls for some black pepper and rose petals but you may want to skip that.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

I received a gift of a jar of saffron just today...so...pleased to find this thread. I have never used it. Is it generally infused in liquid? Crushed if using just a pinch? Is it good used to flavor rice? (I am amazed at how expensive it is, but obviously labor intensive to harvest!) lkm

A well-connected friend Stateside has sent me a full ounce of quality Spanish saffron.  I've been out to the kitchen three times in the last two hours to take off the lid and sniff it and giggle to myself in sheer delight.

Sprinkle it in your bed and roll naked in it.

<sigh>

As long as we're being decadent, make a saffron aioli with eggs, or without if you're a purist. Either way, make it in a mortar and pestle. Pound a garlic clove to a paste with a little salt as an abrasive. Add an egg yolk (if using) and stir to combine. Add delicious olive oil, a drop at a time, until the emulsion is thick, stable and opaque. Add a pinch of saffron, crumbled and steeped in a few drops of hot water, only once the mayonnaise appears stable. Add more oil if you want; season with a stream of lemon if it needs it.

Put it on potatoes, fish, eggs, breakfast cereal...

I received a gift of a jar of saffron just today...so...pleased to find this thread.  I have never used it.  Is it generally infused in liquid?  Crushed if using just a pinch?  Is it good used to flavor rice?  (I am amazed at how expensive it is, but obviously labor intensive to harvest!) lkm

use sparsely. infuse in milk or water. warm preferably. i never crush saffron...its wonderful to flavour rice...my favourite is sweet saffron-cardamom flavoured, creamy milk..reduced to a thick consistency...with a scattering of crushed pistachios..very rich, but lovely...

use sparsely. infuse in milk or water. warm preferably. i never crush saffron...its wonderful to flavour rice...my favourite is sweet saffron-cardamom flavoured, creamy milk..reduced to a thick consistency...with a scattering of crushed pistachios..very rich, but lovely...

Lalitha: Would I infuse the saffron in the measured liquid for my rice and then remove the saffron threads or leave them? Do you actually cook the rice in milk? lkm

Treasure... Bath.... TREASURE BATH!!!

Yellow bubbles and everything. You know you want to try it. Put a couple of stems in your shampoo to see if it makes a difference.

Seriously, I'd make a killer perfect batch of seafood or chicken stock, infused with the saffron. Freeze, then use as needed.

Great for rice, great for cream based sauces, and great for seafood.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Lalitha:  Would I infuse the saffron in the measured liquid for my rice and then remove the saffron threads or leave them?  Do you actually cook the rice in milk?  lkm

its important to infuse the saffron..saffron continues to release aroma and flavour long after the infusion..so longer you allow it to stay in your cooking medium, the stronger it will become with time...so leave them, if you like the look of stringy bits...and its slow releasing flavour which gets stronger with time

also re rice..depends on how you cook your rice....when i pressure cook rice, i dont add saffron to the water or the rice...i'd rather cook it over the stove the slow way when i use saffron...

for the indian dessert of rice kheer, i cook rice with milk and saffron. you can also infuse it in warm water if you dont want your rice cooked in milk(quite unusual to cook rice in milk..i only do it for desserts)... just remember not to throw it into boiling, hot water..always infuse..you are literally boiling away your precious saffron for no effect..the extreme heat kills the delicate saffron

so yes, you can leave saffron threads and its better because of the continous release of aroma and flavour...but dont forget that boiling arrests the release of saffron's goodness...so its usually added right at the end..before you turn off the heat but after the bubbling/boiling period is over..

to sum up, for saffron rice> cook as you will cook rice..pref over the stovetop..add saffron infused water towards the end..try not to bring water/milk to a boil after saffron is added...leave the threads behind if you want a stronger flavour and dont mind the thready look...

edited to add: gosh! that was long and i kept repeating myself...sorry about that..tired.

Edited by Lalitha (log)

Sprinkle it in your bed and roll naked in it.

Treasure... Bath.... TREASURE BATH!!!

:biggrin::biggrin:

In other news, 'Treasure Bath' would be a great name for a soup. I already have "Beef Bordello" (Think 'bordelaise') in the works, which incidentally calls for saffron!

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog