• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients you can't help devouring

Kent Wang

Cucumbers have an odd way of disappearing on their way from the cutting board to the salad in my house, as does chocolate chip cookie dough...really, any kind of dough or batter is fair game.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Cheese is in constant danger. I have to make at least four extra pieces of bacon to distract me from the rest. The bottom and the top ring of a tomato hold a special place for me... it's right on the corner of my cutting board, covered in S & P. Celery. Gotta have a stalk of celery and a jar of peanut butter for an "after the choppin'" break. Any piece of fat that has browned on a roast. (I guess that one isn't an ingredient.) Even the things that I don't really like get eaten!! Raw carrots and green peppers come to mind. Ground beef. I don't really love hamburgers, but there's something about ground beef frying in a pan with onions, S & P, and a little garlic that makes me nuts. Ground sausage too.

Oh man. Nothing is safe from my cake hole.

Wow, you all are hard core!! ...

I like my dead animals raw, what can I say? Carpaccio, sashimi and tartare are the best excuses for me to indulge in public, but at home... well... there's no one watching, I can just eat it! I stopped eating cow for awhile, but I'm back at it recently, I just can't help it, it's like those dirt eaters, I swear, I just can't stop. I need a 12 step program, I can hear the voices now " Step away from the beef"... :sad:

Heh. I may need to join that program too.

Actually, I'd been sneaking little noshes of raw meat even as a kid--boy, did it ever weird my mom out! But then I grew up and discovered the wonderful world of steak tartare and sashimi, and felt vindicated--see, Mom, it's not freaky, it's gourmet! :laugh:

Heh. I may need to join that program too.

Actually, I'd been sneaking little noshes of raw meat even as a kid--boy, did it ever weird my mom out! But then I grew up and discovered the wonderful world of steak tartare and sashimi, and felt vindicated--see, Mom, it's not freaky, it's gourmet! :laugh:

I'll go you one better: my mother started feeding me raw hamburger when I was about 2, and I still eat it. Meat loaf mix is not safe from me, but then again neither are chocolate cake batter, cookie dough, or any kind of butter/margarine mixed with sugar! Yum :wub: I've been known to take on raw Florida sweet corn or even a small sirloin. :blush:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Growing up, I always volunteered to make the relish tray for special dinners so I could pig out on olives, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, baby corn, etc.

These days, it's generally salad stuff that doesn't quite make it into the salad: radishes, green pepper, avocado, nuts, little tomatoes. Yum! I miss summer!

Anchovies, too.