• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients you can't help devouring

Kent Wang

I'm referring to ingredients that are not usually eaten as is, that usually go into a recipe.

My biggest weakness is crab meat. I sometimes have to buy twice the amount I need for a recipe because I just can't help eating the stuff straight out the container.

I used to eat a lot of chocolate chips until I stopped buying them specifically for that reason.

The chunky, eggy, frozen noodles I buy for soup (Grandma's). They're chewy and irresistible.

Raw hamburger. I can never help but pinch off a bite or two.

Does eating finished raw dough count? I have to confess to a huge dough thing: bread, cookie, brisée, sucrée - you name it.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

When cooking with wine or beer, as much always goes into the cook as goes into the food.

Bakers chocolate for brownies always ends up christening my lips, too.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Raw flesh of cow, fish or lamb. I can resist raw poultry, unless it's ground and seasoned. It's a disease, I swear. I always buy a few ounces extra, for the cook.

Plus, if anyone brings sea urchin into my house, they're just asking for me to eat it, immediately, and without any preparation.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Raw flesh of  cow, fish or lamb. I can resist raw poultry, unless it's ground and seasoned. It's a disease, I swear.

Wow, you all are hard core!! As for me, anything involving nuts or cheese usually get a substantial tasting before going into the dish. And of course, any appetizers served for a party are thoroughly taste-tested beforehand!

Wow, you all are hard core!! ...

I like my dead animals raw, what can I say? Carpaccio, sashimi and tartare are the best excuses for me to indulge in public, but at home... well... there's no one watching, I can just eat it! I stopped eating cow for awhile, but I'm back at it recently, I just can't help it, it's like those dirt eaters, I swear, I just can't stop. I need a 12 step program, I can hear the voices now " Step away from the beef"... :sad:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

When cooking with wine or beer, as much always goes into the cook as goes into the food.

what do you mean 'when cooking with'?

nearly any cheese gets me, but when i make a dish that includes cotija or queso fresco--but moreso cotija--that's the ticket right there. in fact if i'm making fajitas or something i usually grill up a chunk of cotija for myself to snack on. considering that we always have black beans with mexican meals, and always put cotija on the beans, this happens pretty often.

Roasted Nuts of any type. I buy them under the rationale that they make a quick, effective garnish on any number of dishes but, somehow, stocks get gradually depleted by attrition such that whenever I actually WANT to use nuts in cooking, theres none left.

PS: I am a guy.

Cheese, especially anything like string cheese, kashar/kasseri. Red peppers. Olives. Pastirma. Not that any of these things are not eaten plain, but it's hard to refrain from popping them in my mouth. And any kind of fresh fruit - whenever I'm making a pie or whatever it may be, a lot will go into my mouth rather than into the pie. I never did manage to make a raspberry pie back when I had a big bunch of raspberries, they were too good fresh off the canes...

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

My sister (I'm the cook, she's the baker) made panettone bread pudding for Christmas dinner, and I ate "the ends" of the loaf...and then some. The bread pudding did not turn out as well as she had hopes- it was undesirably soggy and custardy, as in too much custard and not enough bread. I don't think she realized just why there wasn't enough bread to absorb all the eggs and cream. Oops!

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Cheeses (any and all) rarely get to the dish before I have a nibble or two .. and I also am fond of raw beef, but always conscious of how ill it could make me ... chocolate is another and nuts (any kind) always have to be tasted ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"