• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Billingsgate

Hello! I just moved to beautiful London and I live right in front of Billingsgate market. I didn't yet had the chance to visiti it. Do you know if there is any small possibility to buy retail quantities?

Although Waitrose at Canary Wharf is not so bad, the fish doesn't look very good and I am hoping to buy as fresh as I can.

Thanks

Hello!  I just moved to beautiful London and I live right in front of Billingsgate market. I didn't yet had the chance to visiti it. Do you know if there is any small possibility to buy retail quantities?

Although Waitrose at Canary Wharf is not so bad, the fish doesn't look very good and I am hoping to buy as fresh as I can.

Sure, it's open to the public and there are a number of retail stalls. Be prepared to prepared to get there early for the best selection (6am) and to prepare the fish for cooking yourself when you arrive home (the traders won't do it for you).

For a real insight, do one of the courses at the market school. I did this one:

http://www.seafoodtraining.org/knife_skill..._processing.htm

All the best,

--

Ian

Edited by Ian (log)

I used to go often, before I had children. I miss it-Waitrose fish is ***t.

A lot of stuff needs to be bought by the box, but I never found that a problem. Live crabs are one of the few great bargains left in the universe.

Most fishes can be bought as singles as well as in boxes. My favourites clams (poularde or "Veraci" for Italians) can be bought only in 3kg boxes.

The market starts at 5 AM (4.45 on Christmas Eve) and by 6AM all the best things are gone.

The bad thing from my point of view is that there is no one that sells Rocky or Spiny Lobster...

Waitrose Canary Wharf is probably the best supermarket fish counter in London, if you exclude places like Selfridges or Harrods food halls etc.

Im unsure whether this says more about Waitrose or about the standard of supermarket fish in London.

They often have spankingly fresh organic brown trout, which is highly recommended.

Welcome to the Canary Wharf Massive.

cheers

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!