• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fishing for new experiences

The depletion of stock in the sea is a critical issue that needs to be highlighted more. Added to the problem of trawlers ripping up the bottom of the ocean, fish farmiing sees to it that the fish swimming at the top get stripped out too for feed.

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go then!

Atlantic wolf fish sounds like sea bass, which is called loup de mer (wolf of the sea) in some parts of France.  If this is the case, it is on the protection list and should only be line caught (under EU regulations, I think).  Most restaurants here serve farmed sea bass, which is not near as good as the wild variety

Corinna - I think that the fish refered to will be This fish Anarhichas lupus, which is common in the North Atlantic (Scotland, rather then Egland and Wales). It is a type of giant blenny, and eats crabs and lobsters etc. Good flavour and a firm boneless fillet. In older cookbooks it is called "Sea cat".

Thanks Adam... wow, he's fierce looking, but I like the sound of his diet. Have you had the chance to try some yourself?

I've just remembered that "bar" is the other word for sea bass in France. From what I remember, "loup de mer" is mostly used in the med, so it figures that it's quite different from the "Atlantic sea bass" or "sea cat".

Would love to see a good close-up of its head!