• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

East: Carousel Sushi

whitetrufflechick

Just thought I'd post a note about East in Teaneck (on Teaneck Road).

I hadn't been to East in years until a few weeks ago. Formerly, it was the type of place you'd take off your shoes, sit on the floor and have some ok Japanese food.

Working only blocks from the place, co-workers and I decided to give it another shot. We had noticed the "carousel sushi" mention on their signage out front and that raised our interest.

Well, over the past six weeks or so, we've been back to East many, many times. It is, indeed, a carousel (conveyor belt) setup. The majority of the seating is around a bar, but there are booths that the sushi carousel passes along. Each little dish has 2-3 pieces of sushi, sashimi, desserts, small seaweed salads, etc. and dishes are priced according to color (a buck for white plates on up. Top of the line is the elusive GOLD plate ($6.)), and to date we have never seen one on the belt - though we continue to use it as reason to justify our frequent trips -- oooooh, maybe we'll see a gold plate this time!

The sushi here is fresh and along with the conveyor belt (btw, it take exactly 5 minutes for one revolution - yes, we've timed it, computer geeks that we are), you can also order off of their menu. I also have to mention the oddities that sometimes appear on the belt: to date, we've seen cheesecake slices, tiramisu and flan go by. Makes me laugh every time it passes by.

Edited by whitetrufflechick (log)

I used to enjoy this place quite a bit, but I've pretty much entirely given it up for Minado, in nearby Little Ferry (although there are other locations, which reportedly are as good, or even better)--at least in the category of "mass quantity" sushi, as opposed to the really good stuff.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Yeah, compared to Minado its a pointless endeavor to go to East.

Hi Jason,

Pointless endeavor is a bit harsh, no? I LOVE Minado, but for thoese who don't feel like going the whole buffet route and just grabbing a quick lunch for a couple of bucks, East fits the bill. Their soups are good, their sushi fresh and I can usually get out of there for under ten bucks and in under forty minutes (as a teacher, important).

Just curious if you're comments are refering to the East from the past or the new East with the carousel?

Edited by whitetrufflechick (log)

He's referring to the carosel or kaiton. We've been there many times, but our stack of little plates does add up! I have been there a couple times w/out Jason for lunch with officemates. It is a good lunch place, they have great bentos.

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for clearing that up. When I go with co-workers, I'm usually able to exercise some self-control and keep my plate stack pretty low, with a side of udon soup. Recently, I took my 22-year old son who had a ball picking and choosing and trying things that looked good to him that he may not have tried just based on a menu description.

After about an hour, he had such a tall stack that it made me laugh. The best part of the meal was when he said, "Don't worry, Mom. I've got the bill." Wow. Probably one of the first times he's ever done THAT. Sidenote: Took him to St. Michel afterwards for cream puffs and eclairs. I paid. <grin> Between his sushi fun and pastry heaven, it was an afternoon to remember.

WTC

BTW, a large part of the discussion during lunch centered around the carousel-worthiness of other types of cuisine. It was great fun trying to figure out what could go best on the little plates.... tapas? Italian? Thai?