• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

a decent spiced rum

Bill Poster

• 2 weeks later...

Foursquare is one of the only spiced rums I've drunk which isn't sweetened with sugar cane syrup which lets the rum and spice speak for themselves.

On the other hand, Cruzan is one of the few spiced rums made with aged rum, 2 years, which makes a serious difference in a molasses-based spiced rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

so when i run the "types" list of spiced rums, i show about 22..

are they all crap except these 3 you have mentioned?

as a rum "noob", i admit i like the spice aspect of Captain Morgan (Private Stock is better) and Bacardi Spice, but when i taste some of the better rums, i can tell how much better they are... but i miss the "spice" aspect sometimes...

You might be surprised to know that rum distillers can legally add flavorings to there spirits, spices are only one common ingredient. Some of the more common flavorings are orange, raisins and raisins, chocolate and coffee are also used in some countries.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

i have not liked any of the flavored rums i have tried other than spiced... mango, pineapple, even peach... :wacko:

not a big fan of coconut rum, either... makes me think i am drinking coppertone or something....

Seems like I'm the only one that finds Sailor Jerry'difficult' to drink! hmm..

picked up a bottle this weekend... whoa... it is certainly potent... but at 92 Proof, i guess i should have expected that...

after i got over that initial :shock:

i settled in and enjoyed it....

Edited by jediNord (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Try some Cruzan Estate Dark Run also,

2yr, 5yr Diamond Estate, and the Single Barrel.

Very Good, IMHO if you like a Spiced Rum. :biggrin:

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06