• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sarsapirilla

bacchant036

There are, it turns out, whole forums devoted to the discussion of rootbeer-kin. Follow this link to a sarsaparilla formula: http://root-beer.org/modules.php?name=Foru...352af95a29a455f

Don't know whether you want to buy or make your own or what. As I recall from my time living in the UK, root beer is considered disgusting by most, so I'd not expect to find it in the market. Mail ordering a bottle of sarsaparilla extract from an american homebrew shop would be a reasonable way to acquire some without paying to ship heavy bottles internationally.

I don't know why this topic is in the cocktails forum, however... I've only recently discovered that the root beer family mixes with bourbon nicely... before that I'd never thought of adding booze to the root beer, as it was enough to enjoy on its own.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

... before that I'd never thought of adding booze to the root beer, as it was enough to enjoy on its own.

And I'd never thought of adding root beer to booze, as it was enough to enjoy on its own!

:raz:

Actually, that isn't true, when I was in college and living in the dorms, before settling down to an exciting night of music video watching in the student lounge, my usual tipple was root beer or mr. pibb spiked with e & j brandy.

:wacko:

bacchant036, there are a few threads in the Soft Drinks forum about root beer, sarsaparilla and the like. Like cdh, I've found it to be fairly strongly disliked by friends from the U.K.

edited for speling

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

yeah, shopuld have schecked the soft drinks link, thanks for the refresher,

in the process of designing a bar/club in london which will be called 'volstead' and wanted to pick some americana style ingredients for the cocktail list - yes that was me thinking about booze again,

pretty exciting as i get to find great old drinks with cool prohibition sounding names and try and make them palatable for our current fruity sweet palate.

challenging but enjoyable.

thanks for the help

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

• 2 weeks later...

Chinese import stores will have Sarsaparilla Soda, along with Schweppe's Grapefruit soda.

Have to admit it reminds me of what Europeans say about Rootbeer - that is, it tastes like toothpaste. I'll try mixing it with booze and see what I think.

As for Schweppe's Grapefruit soda, that stuff is excellent and has obvious Highball applications. Pick up a can or 12.