• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher Indian in Curry Hill

Pan

Hi, everyone. I'm meeting a special person for a kosher Indian dinner tonight (Tuesday, January 3). Please recommend Indian kosher restaurants in Curry Hill. Are we stuck with Madras Mahal, or is there somewhere else that has equally good or better food and better service?

Also, feel free to mention other reasonably-priced (<$35/person) kosher restaurants you recommend in that general area (20s/30s).

Thank you all very much.

Michael aka "Pan"

if i remember correctly, udipi palace is kosher (it is vegetarian). it serves dosas, things that are perhaps more lunchy, but then, i was there for lunch, perhaps dinner is different.

i went there with indian food writer julie sahni, and we had such a wonderful time as she narrated this and that as we tasted this and that, and we left so stuffed (the dessert was a final straw, that one rich spoonful too many) but in the happiest way.

udipi palace is on lexington, quite close to kalustyans,.....

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Because the Indian places are all certified by individual rabbis as opposed to the larger certification agencies, you have to be aware that your dining companion might not eat at all the places that are kosher.

Chennai Garden which is on 27th street, just west of Lex is quite good - Eric Asimov wrote a very positive review couple of years ago. There's also Pongal. I rather like Madras Mahal, but I've only done take-out there.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

She seems fine with individual certifications.

John S., did you realize the review you linked to was for Udupi Palace in Sunnyvale, CA? I'm not hopping a plane today... :biggrin:

So, it looks like Chennai Garden is leading right now (would they make it spicy for us???). I'll try to check this thread again in a few hours.

Michael aka "Pan"

My in-laws favor Chennai Garden. It's also in Curry Hill, but just off the main drag, on 27th St. The food is OK, the decor is nothing special. They like it because the food's not too spicy and it's very clean, if dingy.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, huh?

Oh man, I like Chennai Garden a lot. Their bhel puri--and they give you a huge bowl of it--and dosas, paper and regular, are excellent and inexpensive. Skip the buffet, though.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I liked Chennai Garden very much. I over-ordered: I had Mulligatawny and a Mushroom/Onion/Garlic Utthapam for a main dish, while my companion had Navratan Kurma for a main dish. We shared Iddly in Sambhar, Medu Vadha in Rasam, and Kachumber. I also had Masala Chai and Salty Lassi. I asked for the Mulligatawny very spicy, and it was really, really spicy (it otherwise seemed a bit thin), so I said they could dial back the spiciness a bit on the Utthapam. My companion enjoyed the Navratan Kurma moderately and liked the Iddly but found them pretty spicy. She found the Rasam just too spicy. She's Israeli and found the Kachumber to be just like a common Israeli salad. I liked the Utthapam a lot (she wouldn't try any of it -- it was the perfect degree of spiciness for me). I thought the Iddly was delicious, and the lassi was great -- a real masala lassi. My companion noted that everything was a bit salty, but I hadn't really noticed that because there was such a nice blend of spices in everything. There are some leftovers, and the meal was $50 including tip. I will be back.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm going to have to try Chennai Garden; I haven't been off of Lexington since Mavalli Palace closed down, which, while always empty, was only a bit lower than Madras Mahal for a much better decor.

Sounds like everyone is sick of Madras Mahal? I still get the consistently best food here, however, I'm starting to think it's because they use more ghee.

Watch it here, you are talking to a born-and-bred south Indian here (half at least)

That said, i think some of the less ghee-y places taste more like my dad used to make - then again, he never used ghee, only butter and safflower and canola oils, because we were already getting chunky growing up American...

Udipi is real good; and yes, avoid all buffets - but sounds like I really must try Chennai Garden...

Sounds like we are talking of exclusively South Indian vegetarian places. The best and BY A LARGE MARGIN, is the newcomer - Sarvanaas located on North Eastern corner of Lexington Avenue and 26th Street.

Sounds like we are talking of exclusively South Indian vegetarian places. The best and BY A LARGE MARGIN, is the newcomer - Sarvanaas located on North Eastern corner of Lexington Avenue and 26th Street.

But it's not kosher, so it's a moot point if that's one of your requirements.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Post-script to my post of last night:

When I showed my post to my companion, she expressed surprise that I was saying such good things about Chennai Garden. She said she didn't like the place, found everything just too salty, and would give it 5 out of 10. She did express interest in trying the utthapam that has paneer in it, though. I ate my leftovers cold, and the rasam did taste really salty when cold, but I though it was fine when it was hot.

Michael aka "Pan"

But it's not kosher, so it's a moot point if that's one of your requirements.

I'm half South Indian and half Jewish, which makes me 200%, and makes this whole thread pretty hilarious!

I'm sure the South Indians get a laugh that the beef and lamb and chicken-eating Jews are making sure their very strict vegan cuisine is kosher....