• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

4th NJ eGullet Event Wrap-up

=Mark

We took over a substantial part of the restaurant...

mt6.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Rosie entertains Pbrodsky and Michael Folan along with Rail Paul & Dee.

mt2.jpg

=Mark

Nina Wugmiester and friend. Nina missed the train and guest Eyal showed up an hour before not knowing anything about eGullet or the folks involved in the dinner. Fit in like a champ! Also KimWB who agreed to lean on ex hubby Dave Burk for a possible Q&A...

mt3.jpg

=Mark

Pbrodsky, Rail Paul & Dee along with Sandra Levine and Alan (Wheres the Avatar?)

mt4.jpg

=Mark

Nina Wugmiester and friend.  Nina missed the train and guest Heyal showed up an hour before not knowing anything about eGullet or the folks involved in the dinner.  Fit in like a champ!  Also KimWB who agreed to lean on ex hubby Dave Burk for a possible Q&A...

For the record, his name is Eyal. It's pronounced Hey, Al without the H :biggrin:

Lowell passes a dish while Rosie fans her mouth. Things are getting hot!

mt5.jpg

=Mark

you guys rule.  sorry i missed it.  :sad:

Loser!

=Mark

you guys rule.  sorry i missed it.  :sad:

Loser!

nice. really nice. :raz:

Damn! Who was the group that did "Nice, Nice, Really Nice" Back in the 70's?

Yeah! Ambrosia... Was partially written with Kurt Vonnegut... Cool!

=Mark

you guys rule.  sorry i missed it.  :sad:

Loser!

nice. really nice. :raz:

Damn! Who was the group that did "Nice, Nice, Really Nice" Back in the 70's?

Yeah! Ambrosia... Was partially written with Kurt Vonnegut... Cool!

Was it a "Cat's Cradle" reference?

NICE, NICE, VERY NICE

(Vonnegut Jr.)

Oh a sleeping drunkard Up in Central Park

Or the lion hunter In the jungle dark

Or the Chinese dentist Or the British Queen

They all fit together In the same machine

Nice, nice, very nice

Nice, nice, very nice

So many people in the same device

Oh a whirling dervish And a dancing bear

Or a Ginger Rogers and a Fred Astaire

Or a teenage rocker Or the girls in France

Yes, we all are partners in this cosmic dance

Nice, nice, very nice

Nice, nice, very nice

I wanted all things to make sense

So we'd be happy instead of tense

Oh a sleeping drunkard Up in Central Park

Or the lion hunter In the jungle dark

Or the Chinese dentist Or the British Queen

They all fit together In the same machine

Nice, nice, very nice

Nice, nice, very nice

=Mark

Thanks, Mark, again, for putting it all together.

I swiped a take out menu, and tried to make some notes of what was so delicious..its hard, since everyone was using the thai names, and they all sounded similiar to me...so for the record, what was the "chow-fun-like" dish that Eyal ordered?

And speaking of Eyal, he sure could take the heat! Made Jason look like an amateur!! :biggrin:

And speaking of Eyal, he sure could take the heat!  Made Jason look like an amateur!! :biggrin:

Thanks, again, Mark for all the work. Dinner was delightful, and the company was voracious!

I was impressed with how they handled the spicy / hot issue. There was a disclaimer on the menu that "mild" has significant chile taste. Medium is considered hot on many tongues, and hot should be approached with caution.

When folks gave their soup requests, each was asked "You sure you want medium? It is hot, really." About 2 minutes after the soup was delivered, the server came out again to check on the acceptance level of spicy. I'm sure she reported back to the kitchen for final adjustments.

I thought the pork was especially outstanding, with some elements of carne adovado (hot/sweet sauce almost crystallized on the meat, flecks of garlic and lime). The various duck preparations remained crisp on the skin side, yet some elements of fat and deep flesh were moist.

Perhaps KimWB could summarize the duck items on the menu and we could dissect them in greater detail. Our end of the table (the "medium hot end") ordered the shrimp in chilis, two varieties of duck, the beef in red curry, and the pork jewels.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thanks, Mark, again, for putting it all together.

I swiped a take out menu, and tried to make some notes of what was so delicious..its hard, since everyone was using the thai names, and they all sounded similiar to me...so for the record, what was the "chow-fun-like" dish that Eyal ordered? 

And speaking of Eyal, he sure could take the heat!  Made Jason look like an amateur!! :biggrin:

I believe it was the Pad Kee Mao in the noodle section, Sauteed wide rice noodles with shrimp, chicken, fresh chile peppers, onions basil and eggs. I have to admit I got 3rds on that one!firesmile.gif

=Mark

Yes, that's the one. It was my favorite dish of the evening. For the record (and who knows, Eyal could be reading by now) - he's Israeli, from a Sephardic family. He grew up eating hot as hell food...you should see him in an Indian restaurant - mama mia.

Sorry I didn't find time to do this earlier.....THANK YOU Mark for arranging a great dinner. Bill and I enjoyed both the food and the company! :rolleyes:

I had the opportunity to return to Mei Thai on Wednesday night with my Mom. We shared the mussel appetizer and the chile duck dish - both were excellent. I had to be wimpy and order them as mild+ since Mom is 87 and wouldn't have done well with more heat. She was impressed with both the food and how clean the restaurant is. After we ordered, our waiter came back and mentioned that the owner recognized me as having been there on Sunday. I didn't get to talk to the owner, but at least he realized that our group dinner had gotten him some repeat business.

I am looking forward to the next equllet dinner.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there last weekend and he did mention having seen you there a week or so prior. Of course I had to have the mussels, they're the only appetizer dish that can be substantially spiced up. firesmile.gif It was too hot outside to go for any soups. I often like to get the crispy roast duck dishes, but he's been running a soft shell crab special with chopped shrimp and spicy garlic sauce that I wanted to try before it went out of season.

=Mark