• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butter - Chicago

mcattaneo23

I've had the pleasure of enjoying the cuisine of butter as it was under chef poli, as well as chef wolen's individual take on different styles of cooking... and i can say it is a very good matchup. it will be interesting to see what he makes of it, but as he says, this is what every young chef dreams of. I have no doubt that lee wolen can make it happen, step into the wheelhouse, as it were...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So first off let me start by saying good job to the guys in the kitchen at butter. The food is the showcase here, Chef Wolen and Nardulli definetly know what theyre doing. Luckily when I went the tasting menu was all new with none of Chef Poli;s influences (dont get me wrong I like his food but I wanted to see what wolen is up to) I had gone with a friend of mine so might miss some courses or at least components (mine are in bold). and now on to the food.

Amuse: Potato soup with parm crisp

Beef Tartare with cilantro puree, honshimeji mushroom confit, root vegetable chips, soy gel, green curry froth, and sesame tuile. This dish was a great beginner surprisingly refreshing

Lobster salad, carbonated oranges, avacado panna cotta

2nd course

Risotto with lemon, thyme and oregano. I can't begin to explain how the flavor combinations work here. it's nice and fatty but at the same time the citrus cuts the fat.

Risotto with corn and truffles (a poli classic)

3rd course

Olive oil poached Salmon, curried lentils, and carrot froth. Now i'm not a huge fan of salmon but this dish did something for me not so much the salmon but the lentils. they were cooked perfectly

Scallops a'la plancha,mushrooms, braised greens

4th course

Beef short rib pull apart, potato puree, braised chard, red wine reduction. This dish made the meal they could have sent out 4 of these for the tasting and i would of left happy. it's a perfect winter dish with great flavors.

Pre-dessert: Milk and cereal

Raw milk ice cream and chocolate cereal

Plain but delicious

5th course

I know it was warm chocolate something with pretzel pieces and i think raspberry beer sorbet. I'm not sure the exact name of it since I don't have a menu and i'm working from memory it was tasty though.

So I hope this inspries the rest of you to venture out and dine at butter. from this little preview I had I'm going to say great things are going to be coming out of that kitchen.

I just ate dinner at Butter.  That is all I will say!

OK...does that mean you did not enjoy it enough to think it was worthy of a post? I would encourage all eG members to post their true thoughts on their dinning experiences.

I couldn't agree more and would very much like to hear about Butter now that they are without chef Poli.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone eaten at Butter in Chicago recently??  Ryan Poli has an impressive resume and the menu look great, Any information would be great Thanks!!

I was eating dinner at El Celler Can Roca in early May with my wife. After the meal, one of the best in my life incidentally, I was visiting the kitchen on invitation from our waiter. He mentioned that they had an American chef from Chicago now working there who could show us around. The chef came out and I told him I love Chicago and in fact had wonderful meal at Butter. His face brightened and said "I opened Butter."

I looked at him again more carefully and asked "what is your name". He said "Ryan Poli." I was so shocked it didn't even occur to pry into HOW he ended up there.

I live in Seattle but have been to Butter twice and met Ryan once on my first visit. I am embarrassed to say I did not recognize him right off the bat. I guess I was just not expecting him there of all places. Anyway, that is where he is: working at Celler Can Roca.

-K

Edited by klsalas (log)

Has anyone eaten at Butter in Chicago recently??  Ryan Poli has an impressive resume and the menu look great, Any information would be great Thanks!!

I was eating dinner at El Celler Can Roca in early May with my wife. After the meal, one of the best in my life incidentally, I was visiting the kitchen on invitation from our waiter. He mentioned that they had an American chef from Chicago now working there who could show us around. The chef came out and I told him I love Chicago and in fact had wonderful meal at Butter. His face brightened and said "I opened Butter."

I looked at him again more carefully and asked "what is your name". He said "Ryan Poli." I was so shocked it didn't even occur to pry into HOW he ended up there.

I live in Seattle but have been to Butter twice and met Ryan once on my first visit. I am embarrassed to say I did not recognize him right off the bat. I guess I was just not expecting him there of all places. Anyway, that is where he is: working at Celler Can Roca.

-K

I would assume he is doing a stage.

Robert R

-K

I would assume he is doing a stage.

Yes, my sources tell me that he will be opening his restaurant in Scottsdale, AZ -- as was initially planned when he left Butter -- in the not too distant future.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Since Chef Poli is no longer with Butter, I took the liberty of starting another thread on the Southwestern forum about his future endeavor there.

Ronnie, I hope you, for one, would indulge my inquiry about Chef Poli over there.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com