• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Fresh Pasta to improve it?

markabauman

Was reading Scott Conant's "New Italian Cooking" today. He makes an interesting statement in the chapter on pasta. When making fresh pasta, he pre-freezes it to make it "tender but strong". He states that the frozen pasta doesn't absorb as much liquid as would fresh, resulting in the pasta holding its shape better- not so much expansion, without it becoming "flabby", and that the flavor is less diluted.

When I make fresh pasta, I usually try to make just enough for that meal, so I don't often wind up with that much extra. I have frozen excess at times- especially when making stuffed pasta, such as ravioli. Not sure that I've ever made such an empirical observation that the frozen was all that different from when I had it fresh.

Has anyone heard this before? Tried it, or had any experience with fresh/fresh vs. fresh/frozen?

Mark A. Bauman

It almost sounds contrarian: most authors abhor freezing fresh pasta and go out of their way to advise you not to do so. I do as a matter of convenience. I've not noticed a difference, better or worse, with frozen pasta but maybe having it ground into me for so long by so many, I prefer making and eating it that day.

As a huge fan of L'Impero (and the cookbook) and, in particular, his pastas I would give it a shot. A number of the recipes are directly from the restaurant. I had the Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce and Basil on New Year's (made with the fresh pasta) and it was excellent.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I don't have the book so I don't know if he uses this method for all pasta or just for very thin pasta.

I do know that the secret to preparing a great Ligurian Handkerchief pasta is to freeze it before cooking.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.