• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry confessions?

Teri Everitt

So I have to confess.........I don't really like chocolate except as an accent flavour. I will eat it with nuts, coconut, peanut butter but I'll never eat one of those stupidly named "Chocolate Insanity" this or "Death by Chocolate" that. I don't strongly dislike the flavour of chocolate so much, I just find that I'm pretty much done after 2 bites. I also loathe meringues and marshmallows and although I have made creme caramel from several recipes at several restaurants, I've never tasted one that I didn't find disgustingly eggy. I love creme brulee though.

How about you.....what do you make that you don't even want to taste?

If only I'd worn looser pants....

No offense to anyone but tres leches, even looking at it, makes me ill. I just cannot deal with all that sweet milky soft wet stuff. :rolleyes: I don't think I could even make it if I had to. I cannot deal with certain grains & sugar--like no rice pudding for me. I eat savory oatmeal too with salt no sugar.

But I'm eating dark chocolate right now and drinking my Black muscat dessert wine that chef-boy got me for Christmas. I've gained friggin weight for the past two days too. Must finish wine quickly. :laugh:

Meringue or boiled icing ... yuck-eeee! But I love meringues ... go figure. Most carrot cakes, powdered sugar "buttercream", and any cake, ganache, mousse, etc. made w/semi=sweet chocolate ... don't care if it's Valrhona. The bitterer the better.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

I can't imagine baking something that I wouldn't eat because I don't like it. But that's the advantage of being an amateur - I don't have to. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anything involving flaked coconut - BLECH, you might as well be chewing plastic wrap!  :)

Same here! I had to make coconut bonbons for christmas cookie boxes we gave away this year. Everyone else liked them but I thought they were disgusting. *shudder* sweetened chewy plastic wrap dipped in chocolate and rolled in more plastic wrap... yum... NOT!

... that vile filling for a German chocolate cake... euwwwwwwww!

Sometimes they are iced in it...

When I was a little kid and we 'went to town' we would eat lunch at Walgreen's if Mom was flush. They had cakes in a display case right at my eye level--the icing on the German chocolate's always looked kinda mottled camo greenish brown, lumpy & scary. I was morbidly fascinated by them, but I didn't want to get too close to the case either, when Mom paid the check up front. I mean, come on, did it not look like the smelly stuff the janitor poured the powdery stuff on at school when my friend got sick??? I could not figure out how they got the cakes in the display case and why they would put those freakish ugly ducklings in there with the pretty ones. I was always relieved that they were behind glass and I couldn't smell 'em, all things considered. :laugh:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I can't imagine baking something that I wouldn't eat because I don't like it.  But that's the advantage of being an amateur - I don't have to. :biggrin:

I do this all the time. :biggrin: Mostly because I'm just not a dessert eater. I'd much rather have a cheese course at the end of my meal, but when I'm entertaining, I always feel like I have to make a dessert for everyone else.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

... that vile filling for a German chocolate cake... euwwwwwwww!

did it not look like the smelly stuff the janitor poured the powdery stuff on at school when my friend got sick???

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a comparison! :raz:

Di

I used to not like quite a few of the ones mentioned above. Meringue: soft or hard, coconut, anything really eggy. Then I found recipes or dishes that made me LOVE them. Especially meringue. I'm still not really into soft meringue, but I'm trying.

The main things I don't like are pecan pie filling, custards, rice pudding, banana desserts.

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

Like Marlene, I'm not much of a desserts or sweets fan - gimme the stinky cheese! That said, I'm constantly baking and making desserts of all sorts. Chalk it up to my former life as a caterer. There's something inherently satisfying about making desserts, even if I don't eat them.

I especially don't really enjoy cookies or cakes, but I seem to make a ton of them. And jello desserts, but we won't go there. xD

Edit: Not to mention, since I don't eat land animals, I can almost always taste my end (and beginnings, but nowhere near the dedication of Ling's dough & batter eating!) products. Whenever I cook something with meats in it, I have to rely on the tastes of my family & friends.

Edited by mochihead (log)

Back when I worked in a bakery, I found that I didn't eat any of it. The only thing I would take home at night would be a baguette. I didn't eat any of the sweet stuff when I worked with it all day. (Which is odd for a sugar junkie like me.)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I make Oreo cheesecakes and strawberry cheesecakes because my sister loves them, but I don't really like Oreo cheesecakes. They are so sweet, even though I decrease the amount of sugar in the cheesecake batter. Strawberry cheesecake is OK, but not really one of my favourite cheesecake flavours.

I make various types of biscotti for my mom, even though I don't eat them very often.

I'm just a homebaker, so I'm afforded the luxury of making things I enjoy eating 90% of the time.

Peanut butter cookies. I'll make them for my husband, and we make them at work (and then make ones with milk chocolate baked on top). Bleah. What a way to ruin good peanut butter! The texture makes my mouth go dry just thinking about it.

I'm not a fan of flaked coconut either, but fortunately, we don't use it in anything at work.

Anything rose flavored tastes like I'm eating my grandma's hand lotion. We do two things with rose (and we use rose oil, not water), and the stuff is so strong, especially when it's first mixed, that the smell gets on my hands even if the oil doesn't, and lasts well past several hand-washings. (To give you an idea of how strong this stuff is, just 18 drops will flavor a 27 pound batch of frangipane filling.)

And, if I'm not mistaken (I might be), I think this is my 1,000th post! :biggrin:

Edited by jgarner53 (log)

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

...I'm just a homebaker,...

Ah, Ling, I aspire to being a 'just a home baker' of your caliber!

I make fantastic banana bread and waffles, I really don't eat either of those. Especially waffles. I think they're just a vehicle for strawberries and other toppings, and I simply go straight for the fruit and such. Now, if I put chocolate INTO the banana bread batter, that's a bread of a different color, and I eat it. A bit too avidly, so I try not to. Put in the chocolate, that is. :raz:

edited to add: I'm Syrian, we have lots of rose water scented confections, I hate them all, and I refuse to make them! They stink up your hands forever! Give me carnations, please.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

When I had my bakery my product list was basically a list of my favorite desserts, cookies and brownies. But one of my biggest customers asked me to make Irish Potatoes for her stores. She gave me the recipe. It was sweetened condensed milk, powdered milk, and confectioners' sugar. I think it had some almond extract in it. We all just about barfed. They were horrible.

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Pumpkin pie. I love the smell, but the texture is just horrific.

Ditto that! Baby food in a crust.........strangely, I like the taste of pumpkin okay, and will eat it in cheesecake, pound cake etc. , but never EVER in pie form!

Anything rose flavored tastes like I'm eating my grandma's hand lotion. We do two things with rose (and we use rose oil, not water), and the stuff is so strong, especially when it's first mixed, that the smell gets on my hands even if the oil doesn't, and lasts well past several hand-washings. (To give you an idea of how strong this stuff is, just 18 drops will flavor a 27 pound batch of frangipane filling.)

And, if I'm not mistaken (I might be), I think this is my 1,000th post! :biggrin:

You must smell like the Avon lady after! Ewwwwwwwwwww.

I don't like flaked coconut on some desserts too, especially not when it's spread around a cake or covering a piece of truffle.

I also have a love-hate relationship with almond extract. Sometimes, I find it oddly "attractive" while in other times, I feel nauseated and inclined to barf out the laced contents in my mouth. I guess it reminds me of a cough syrup I used to take as a kid...

Ewwww...

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

Thanks for the compliment, Rebecca. :blush:

I don't like the dry mouthful of flaked coconut either, but I use dessicated coconut for the Peninsula Grill coconut cake. :smile:

Sometimes I'll make an angel food cake for people who are watching their weight, but I've never found angel food cakes to be particularly exciting to eat. Ditto plain sponge cakes, or genoise. I see those types of cakes as merely vehicles for frostings and fillings.

Rice Pudding -- make it all the time for work and I won't begin to describe what it makes me think of. Pudding should be soft and silky and smooth and preferably chocolate, not grey with chunks of stuff in it! :wacko:

Cheryl, The Sweet Side