• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is Posting Restaurant Pics Actionable

Busboy

(1) The customer eating at a Restaurant is purchasing his serving of the food posted on the menu at the price it is offered.

(2) After the food is served or delivered to the customer he may do whatever he wishes to do with his food, eating it is a option, as is boxing it or taking it with him when he leaves the premises.

(3) Unless the Restaurant clearly states on their menu or posts where it is easily seen that "NO FOOD MAY BE PHOTOGRAPHED WITHOUT PERMISSION" there is no legal violation incurred, but a warning may be given with the following resolution if ignored.

Without this being posted a Restaurant can request that you do not take photos of your dishes. If you object, they may have a option of removing them from the table and asking the customer nicely to leave the premises, without charging the customer for anything he was not allowed to finish before being asked to leave the premises. In certain circumstances the Restaurant may be libel toward the customers since it wasn't clearly stated on the menu or premises under local laws. I doubt they have any legal rights to confiscate your camera or request your film as it's your private property, only to ask you to leave willingly.

I operated a Restaurant where we welcomed customers to enjoy our services and meals but never allowed any menus to be removed by patrons. We made sure to check before doing this that menus are our private property.

Taking Photos, using Cell Phones or any other activities are easily avoided by business simply advising that this is not permitted anywhere in your premise, but even then I'm not sure that without a warning it can be a copyright or legal liability. I heard that it's questionable that taking photo's without any flash attachments are often not easy to prove that they violated the purpose intended in public gatherings.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

In the words of George Takei, Star Trek's "Mr. Sulu" and the new announcer for the Howard Stern show,

OH MY.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My first reaction is I hope "Chris" tipped very well for the stress he put the servers through. Whatever Greenwood's issues, it wasn't quite fair to do that do a decent staff.

Reading through some of the comments attributed to Greenwood via her staff I'm stunned. The quote that got me is "food is for eating, not presentation." Okay, then. If she doesn't care how the food looks leaving the kitchen then why would she care if people take pictures of it? Yeah, I know that's a simplistic view but it's mine and I'm sticking to it.

If they're not equipped to do tartare, probably get you to sign a waiver when you come down with listeria...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!