• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy kacha karpoor?

jhirshon

Happy New Year, all - any ideas on where I can purchase edible camphor (kacha karpoor) - it is extremely difficult to obtain in the U.S. It is *not* inedible synthetic camphor but an item used in a number of Indian (and Chinese) recipes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

cheers, JH

Happy New Year, all - any ideas on where I can purchase edible camphor (kacha karpoor) - it is extremely difficult to obtain in the U.S. It is *not* inedible synthetic camphor but an item used in a number of Indian (and Chinese) recipes.

cheers, JH

presumably you've tried your local indian stores?

milagai

edible camphor (whether you call it kapoor or karpoor or kalpooram, regional

variations exist of the basic sanskrit word karpoora)

does exist. I got mine from India, so I don't know where to get it in the US,

if your local grocery store does not carry it....

Maybe someone coming from India can get you some?

Milagai

• 3 months later...

cheers, JH

JH,

I'm curious about the use of camphor in Chinese recipes. Could you please elaborate?

Thanks!

Edited to add: Just found your recipe in the Chinese forum!

Edited by rajsuman (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Could you describe the flavour and aroma of camphor?

My only knowledge of camphor is "moth balls", but i assume they have nothing to do with the edible stuff.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

• 7 months later...