• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Couscous in bulk

jb_973

Hi guys,

I want to pick up some couscous, but want to buy it in bulk (instead of the $3 for some single-dinner Near East packet from Shoprite!). Where's the best place for this in the vicinity of West Orange? Trader Joes? Whole Foods?

Thanks - and a happy New Year to all of you!

Jason

Theres quite a number of Middle Eastern groceries in Patterson where you could buy bulk couscous pretty easily. Whole Foods also has bulk couscous but its probably more expensive.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I think (think being the operative word) you can get it in one of two places nearby Arak on Kinderkamack Road in Oradell/River Edge.

Also at National Food Warehouse but I'd be careful what I buy there everytime they have stuff past it's due date and bad on sale and sometimes I forget myself and don't check the dates! (UGH) :blink::shock:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Yep, Arak would definitely have it, but its a bit of a schlep from West Orange, which is why I am suggesting Patterson and checking out one of the local shops.

You're also right about International Food Warehouse.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Whole Foods, Couscous in bulk, $1.99/lb. Hardly worth all the energy to traipse all over the place using up gasoline to save 20c/lb.

WF in Montclair or Millburn, whichever is closer to you...

Edited by menton1 (log)

Thanks for all the responses!... Looks like I will be taking a trip up to Whole Foods in Montclair!

That said, I do want to make a 'pilgrimage' to International Food Warehouse one day - not only to check out what they have on offer, but also to sample some of the food from the Indian restaurant that is part of the same building (as discussed elsewhere in this forum!)