• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone know where to find banana leaves?

popover

We are cooking quail covered with banana leaves for an Indian improvised dish. And looked at the subzi mundi and patel brothers in our NJ area but cannot find it. Willing to go to NYC but still don't know where to go. Anyone know?

We are cooking quail covered with banana leaves for an Indian improvised dish.  And looked at the subzi mundi and patel brothers in our NJ area but cannot find it.  Willing to go to NYC but still don't know where to go.  Anyone know?

Popover,

This is a very common item in supermarkets in Washington Heights and Inwood. Make a left on B'way off the GW and stop at the first one you see.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

We are cooking quail covered with banana leaves for an Indian improvised dish.  And looked at the subzi mundi and patel brothers in our NJ area but cannot find it.  Willing to go to NYC but still don't know where to go.  Anyone know?

Around here, you can find them in Mexican grocery stores in the refridgerated section, usually near the masa.

Pretty much everywhere I've lived (and I've moved around a lot), I've found them in Mexican grocery stores (as suggested). In areas where there's not a lot of Mexican traffic, the banana leaves are sold frozen. I'd suggest you locate some Mexican markets and call and ask.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Where in Central Jersey are you located?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I can always find them in the produce section of Mexican groceries as well.

Have you considered calling an Asian or Mexican restaurant and asking them for suggestions? I've done that in order to track down a variety of esoteric ingredients; everyone's been really helpful.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Try any Hispanic or Asian grocery. If there are none in the fresh section, they will probably be in the freezer case. If you dont see them just ask. Someone will be glad to help, language or no.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

Twin cities in Elizabeth has them.

They're standard Hispanic grocer fare. The littlest bodegas all have them. Union has bodegas, right? Here in Morristown, we have them on almost every block. I'm sure Union is no different.

Most of the places I've found them have them in the frozen section. Look for flat dark green rectangular packages.