• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two Thousand and Six

well last year i vowed to make Anthony's in Leeds and Borough Market and failed on both accounts, so i hope to do better this year.

Any recommendations on must visit places, especially as i am getting married and honeymooning in Canada - Vancouver, Toronto, Jasper, Banff etc

When in Vancouver PM me. I would highly recommend "C", Vij's, Chambar, Imperial Seafood (dim sum) , Tojo's (sushi) , Aurora Bistro (Canadian cuisine) and Lumiere (Chef Rob Feenie - Iron Chef Killer).

Cheers,

Stephen

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I am going to the ledbury tonight with my girlfriend, in case we had forgotten they have phoned to confirm the table 3 times! Anyone been recdently? hoping to have a fantastic meal and a few nice drinks beforehand.

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

I am going to the ledbury tonight with my girlfriend, in case we had forgotten they have phoned to confirm the table 3 times! Anyone been recdently? hoping to have a fantastic meal and a few nice drinks beforehand.

Went in August and really enjoyed it despite a few FOH problems. Ladbroke Arms is a nice spot nearby for a drink.

Went quite recently. Superb foh but hit and miss cooking. And I was really hoping that night to find somewhere special.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

if you're anything like me you'll be busy sorting out diary dates for this year's UK restaurant visits [...] How about you?

For me it's Jules Verne and Ramsay on RHR, which hopefully will leave me a better impression than last time I went. Nothing else planned. The difficulty is to find a "restaurant buddy"... anyone interested?

Hopefully 2006 will bring some interesting new entries in my collection

http://www.petitcolas.net/fabien/restaurants/

I'm currently figuring out the logistics of dining in 14 London restaurants (a mix of high end and very casual) in 2 days for an article I'm writing. I'm also drawing up a shopping list: imodium, Rennies, Alka Seltzer...

It turned out to be 11 restaurants in two days. It was great research and I got to eat in a lot of very interesting places - however I wouldn't recommend the experience to anyone, although i don't suppose that comes as much of a surprise to anyone.

At work three of us (Chef, Pastry Chef and myself)  have decided to go to Paris to eat at L'Ambroisie, starting to save now :wink:

A brilliant idea. But try and get there before the end of the black truffle season (what - mid march?). Bernard Pacaud is a god.

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

If we can get in we will be going end of Feb, going to book today. We are trying to convince ourselves that the cost is okay because it is educational! :biggrin:

Edited by Matthew Tomkinson (log)

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

Reasons to get there for the black truffles... pt1 (check out the "Feuillete de Truffes Bel Humeur" if you want to have truffle nightmares - and that scallop dish was beyond breath-taking...)

Flickr Food

Reasons to be cheerful, part two... with a little luck, I hope this year to make it to The Fat Duck!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

MobyP Posted Today, 01:38 PM

Reasons to get there for the black truffles... pt1 (check out the "Feuillete de Truffes Bel Humeur" if you want to have truffle nightmares - and that scallop dish was beyond breath-taking...)

Fantastic Link Moby! Thankyou. The whole meal sounds amazing.

If we can get in we will be going end of Feb, going to book today. We are trying to convince ourselves that the cost is okay because it is educational! :biggrin:

Of course it's educational Matthew and not something you are likely to forget in hurry. Crikey the hours that you chaps have to work to earn your beer tokens, warrants having a splurge every now and again, surely? :wink: Enjoy it.

Edited by Bapi (log)

Of course it's educational Matthew and not something you are likely to forget in hurry. Crikey the hours that you chaps have to work to earn your beer tokens, warrants having a splurge every now an again, surely?  :wink: Enjoy it.

Thanks Bapi. I now know that when i am next thinking of dropping a few hundred quid on a meal, a few minutes on here will ease my conscience! :biggrin:

We are booked in to the L'Ambroisie on Friday the 24th at 1pm! Cant wait, now just the small matter of selling a kidney to pay for it! :shock:

Maybe Pacaud can do a part exchange deal? :raz: Kidney of future michelin chef must go for a fair price these days.

Flickr Food

well last year i vowed to make Anthony's in Leeds and Borough Market and failed on both accounts, so i hope to do better this year.

Any recommendations on must visit places, especially as i am getting married and honeymooning in Canada - Vancouver, Toronto, Jasper, Banff etc

When in Vancouver PM me. I would highly recommend "C", Vij's, Chambar, Imperial Seafood (dim sum) , Tojo's (sushi) , Aurora Bistro (Canadian cuisine) and Lumiere (Chef Rob Feenie - Iron Chef Killer).

Cheers,

Stephen

Vancouver

I'll add the same offer - before coming to Toronto PM me.

Was in Vancouver last year for a wedding and endorse 'C'. If you like Indian food - 'London style' pass on Vij - it's 'western' food with Indian spices, not Indian food. And Lumiere seems to have hit a bad patch.

In Toronto, best restaurant experience is Splendido, best chef is Susur. But eating 'ethnic' is the way to go. And eat the seafood in Vancouver, not Toronto!

Should really eat at Northcote too - one of the commis at work is best friends with one of the chefs there and I hear good things about the kitchen.

Up there on Sunday night for the final might of the festival. All I can say is stunning - its a really special place and the food was pretty outstanding. The visiting chefs I spoke to had nothing but very high praise for Nigel Haworth (possibly the funniest man in Lancashire), his head chef Lisa Allen and the entire brigade. Its a very happy but disciplined team and Craig Bancroft is just the most incredible host - relentless energy and very caring.

Should really eat at Northcote too - one of the commis at work is best friends with one of the chefs there and I hear good things about the kitchen.

Up there on Sunday night for the final might of the festival. All I can say is stunning - its a really special place and the food was pretty outstanding. The visiting chefs I spoke to had nothing but very high praise for Nigel Haworth (possibly the funniest man in Lancashire), his head chef Lisa Allen and the entire brigade. Its a very happy but disciplined team and Craig Bancroft is just the most incredible host - relentless energy and very caring.

Come on now Andy, a few more details about the night please :shock: Northcote Manor is definitely on our to do list in the next few weeks, so a few details would be appreciated. How did the rest of the Obsession Food Festival go then?

Edited by Bapi (log)

Come on now Andy, a few more details about  the night please :shock: Northcote Manor is definitely on our to do list in the next few weeks, so a few details would be appreciated. How did the rest of the Obsession Food Festival go then?

I really hate to say this but you're going to have to wait for the article when it appears in the Independent on Sunday. I understand that the rest of the week went down a storm and that there were few if any logistical hitches which is amazing when you consider the number of chefs and ingredients that went through the kitchen and the number of different dishes that were produced. I can tell you that if you want to go next year you need to book as early as possible. The line up should be finalised around October time and it sells out in a flash. There were 105 in on Sunday for example, some of whom were apparently still at the bar until three in the morning!

I really hate to say this but you're going to have to wait for the article when it appears in the Independent on Sunday. 

Andy - glad to hear the writing career is working out well (and - sshhh - thanks for all you've done on eGullet over the years).