• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two Thousand and Six

So with the festive season out of the way, if you're anything like me you'll be busy sorting out diary dates for this year's UK restaurant visits. So far I have Racine, The Orrery and Shaun Hill at the Montagu Arms confirmed for January, with W'Sens and the Food and Drink festival at Northcote Manor possibilities. Then it's Anthony Demetre and William Smith's (formerly of Putney Bridge) new place up west, hopefully in February, and Atelier du Robuchon in London in April. A return visit, this time with my better half, to both Bentley's and the Belverdere are also dead certs. How about you?

I'd like to eat my way round all the Michelin starred restaurants in Scotland (although this might see me taking out a mortgage to do so!)

BBC Radio 4 Food programme and Farming Today have two families who are going to only eat food in season this year - intriguing but is it feasible?

Danielle Ellis

Edinburgh Scotland

www.edinburghfoody.com

BBC Radio 4 Food programme and Farming Today have two families who are going to only eat food in season this year - intriguing but is it feasible?

well whatever next!

you may be surprised to hear that some people do this as a matter of course.

Edited by fisherman (log)

well last year i vowed to make Anthony's in Leeds and Borough Market and failed on both accounts, so i hope to do better this year.

Any recommendations on must visit places, especially as i am getting married and honeymooning in Canada - Vancouver, Toronto, Jasper, Banff etc

I've been threateing to do so for a while, but I'll be making the trip to Cheltenham for the Champion Sausage together with a stout companion.

Should really eat at Northcote too - one of the commis at work is best friends with one of the chefs there and I hear good things about the kitchen.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

I'll definitely be trying to get to L'Atelier in the opening days in the hope that Robuchon will be there. Hoping to be one of the first to AD and Will Smiths new place in xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :raz:

I'll also be going to The Capital, Bond's and am hoping to explore more Italian and ethnic eateries. Return visits to the Fat Duck and Maze are also on the cards.

Andy, W'Sens is an interesting one, when it first opened I had a reservation which I cancelled after hearing a few bad things. Since then the restaurant seems to have fallen off the radar, I keep thinking about booking but something puts me off, are there even any reports on EG?

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Andy, W'Sens is an interesting one...are there even any reports on EG?

Not that I'm aware of. The place got a terrible critical thrashing when it opened - although it did suffer at the hands of Arabella Weir who was guest critic in the Guardian that week and whose opinion on restaurants I don't take too seriously - so it will be interesting to see if it has changed compared to the initial reports.

Should really eat at Northcote too - one of the commis at work is best friends with one of the chefs there and I hear good things about the kitchen.

Likewise. We went to The Three Fishes in Mitton last week- which is owned by the same team as Northcote Manor. Post to follow on that. Loved the details of the Obsession Food Festival at Northcote Manor, at the end of this month. That chap Claude who has a cafe in Ludlow and who I understand is quite talented is cooking on the first night. :wink: There are also David Thompson from Nahm- Heston B, Mark Hix amongst others cooking during the week long festival.

Also we must try Paul Heathcote's Longridge restaurant. Is it any good now? :wink::biggrin:

One other place that I would dearly like to get to this year is Sat Bains eponymous restaurant in Nottingham. Has anyone been there?

Edited by Bapi (log)

There are also David Thompson from Nahm- Heston B, Mark Hix amongst others cooking during the week long festival.

Quite a stellated group of foodies - I'll definitely have to go and look.

Also we must try Paul Heathcote's Longridge restaurant. Is it any good now? :wink:  :biggrin:

I've no idea... :)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

so far .. have Jessica's booked for Jan, and Maze in March. The alliteration is entirely coincidental although that could be amusing ... Fraiche in Feb?

There are also tentative plans for my first visit to Ludlow and all the delights it has to offer, and maybe this year I will finally get to try Yauatcha or Hakkasan. Am also keen to visit the Ledbury and Galvin Bistrot deluxe

Closer to home, H and I have made a "to-do" list for this year - including Rish in York, Devonshire Arms at Bolton Abbey, Cafe 21 in Durham and / or No 21 Queen St in Newcastle, McCoys at Yarm, Sportmans Arms in Wath, Angel Inn in Hetton ... as well as going back to places like Anthony's, Star at Harome ....

My annual (well I went there at the same time last year) trip to L'Enclume is lined up for February. I wouldn't mind a trip to Northcote as well - went to a wedding reception there a couple of years ago and the food was very good considering the numbers involved.

PS

Edinburgh

I have just come back from a lovely lunch at Aubergine and have The Ledbury booked for dinner on the 21st. Planning on going to Pied a Terre, Le Champignon Sauvage and maze when finacially able.

I have my trip to New York through the Roux Scolarship in March and seems to be that i will be able to eat in a two or three places. Anyone have any first hand recomendations of where to eat? any ideas greatly appreciated.

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

Anyone have any first hand recomendations of where to eat? any ideas greatly appreciated.

Matthew, there's a ton of recommendations over on the New York forum. The Michelin thread might be as good a place to start as any. The places that attract the most discussion include Per Se, WD50, Blue Hill and Babbo but you would need to post any further questions on the NY forum.

Matthew --

I spent a lot of time wading through the NY recommendations and BEST OF sections in the NYC forums. It’s well worth the effort if you’re looking for something particular. I'm PM you my picks.

Back OT: Tom Aitkens and l'enclume.

Edited by grahamR (log)

I know I have given a bad example with my post, but please, no further posting about NY on this thread. The Manhatten forum hosts might feel as though we are leaving them out of things but more importantly, it makes information easier to retrieve from the sites if we keep to the regional structure. Thanks for your understanding.

One other place that I would dearly like to get to this year is Sat Bains eponymous restaurant in Nottingham. Has anyone been there?

Funnily enough I just came across his name in some - ahem - Spanish liter-achoor ("In a relatively short space of time, Sat Bains has made a huge impact on the British restaurant scene..." which was a surprise, as I'd never heard of him), and thought "By 'eck, that Bapi should wonder thencewards right soon and no mistake."

Is it slightly odd that his first restaurant should be eponymous?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

First ever Michellin starred place for myself, Locatelli. Wanted something to ease us into the idea of London eating (i'm from up norf in't sticks) and my missus wanted something italian.

Is it slightly odd that his first restaurant should be eponymous?

The restaurant used to Hotel De Clos and Sat Bains was head chef there for a couple of years before he reportedly bought the place (I assume he had backers) in 2004 and changed the name.

Sat Bains certainly made an impact on me when I met him at the Roux Scholarship last year. He talked at me very loudly and very quickly for about 20 minutes without drawing breath. He seemed like a nice chap though.

Sat Bains website

Just added Bluebird Dining Rooms to my list for this month which I'm looking forward to.

Went to the Orrery on Tuesday. My first experience there since Andre Garret took over the kitchen from Chris Galvin - very impressed on all fronts I have to say.

I'm currently figuring out the logistics of dining in 14 London restaurants (a mix of high end and very casual) in 2 days for an article I'm writing. I'm also drawing up a shopping list: imodium, Rennies, Alka Seltzer...