• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chorizo

I just made four pounds of chorizo in the sausage cook-off and would love to know your favorite dishes, especially with fresh chorizo. In particular, while I've found quite a few recipes for chorizo and potatoes or eggs, with sopas, etc., all of those preparations require that the chorizo meat be removed from the casings and fried. Are there any preparations that keep the sausages whole?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

If its Mexican-stlye chorizo, go get thee some fresh corn tortillas, and make tacos (with chopped onion and cilantro) or grilled quesadillas with queso blanco.

Spanish style chorizo is typically cured, and then sliced and sauteed, or used in dishes like paella. I don't think I've ever had fresh Spanish chorizo, actually, its all been cured.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I just made four pounds of chorizo in the sausage cook-off and would love to know your favorite dishes, especially with fresh chorizo. In particular, while I've found quite a few recipes for chorizo and potatoes or eggs, with sopas, etc., all of those preparations require that the chorizo meat be removed from the casings and fried. Are there any preparations that keep the sausages whole?

I don't think there is any other reason for removing the casing that just to better let the flavours infuse more but other than that you can leave it whole I suppose. I know I do if the chorizos are fresh not so if they are cured.

I just made four pounds of chorizo in the sausage cook-off and would love to know your favorite dishes, especially with fresh chorizo.

Not quite whole, but sliced into bit sized pieces and lightly fried, chorizo is great in sausage and shrimp jambalaya. It's what I use if I'm out of andouille.

I haven't tried this, but I suspect it would also be quite good in a pot of Alsatian sauerkraut, lightly fried just to brown the skin and then buried in the kraut for the last 30 minutes or so of cooking.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

In the region of Mexico where I am (Guadalajara), chorizo is most commonly served grilled, as an accompaniment to carne asada.

To prepare chorizo this way, simply slice the links in half lengthwise and toss them on the grill till they're cooked through and browned.

The chorizo brand that's most popular here is Corona. When it's raw, this chorizo has the texture of a good quality hot dog. Grilled, it's addictive.

I also like to dice the raw chorizo, sauté the pieces till they're a bit crunchy on the outside, and add the pieces to scrambled eggs, with onions, chile serrano, and a side of fried potatoes.

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

Are there any preparations that keep the sausages whole?

Whole chorizo is sometimes added to feijoada a half-hour before serving, casing pricked.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

If its Mexican-stlye chorizo, go get thee some fresh corn tortillas, and make tacos (with chopped onion and cilantro) or grilled quesadillas with queso blanco.

Spanish style chorizo is typically cured, and then sliced and sauteed, or used in dishes like paella. I don't think I've ever had fresh Spanish chorizo, actually, its all been cured.

Actually there is quite a lot fresh Chorizo here in spain. Many people have it at the BB wich is very tasty. The fresh chorizo vary in tatste from vilage to vilage because the recepy is a very personal thing similar as the paella. I don´t know much about the northern part of Spain, I live in Andalucia..

I chop up potatoes into large cubes, saute them in oil with an onion, toss in some steamed kale, kind of smoosh those together and top with grilled chorizo. Often I make this with leftovers. You could probably streamline it a bit, though.

I also like soup with chorizo, kale, chicken broth, and diced potatoes. I know there's a name for it but my head cold is preventing all higher order thought. Actually, that's a pretty good fix for a cold...

I also like soup with chorizo, kale, chicken broth, and diced potatoes.  I know there's a name for it but my head cold is preventing all higher order thought.  Actually, that's a pretty good fix for a cold...

I believe you mean caldo verde, sin?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 2 weeks later...

After trying dozens of varieties of chorizo while living in Mexico, my favorite is definitely the chorizo toluqueño. I grill it, cut it into chunks and add it to my frijoles charros. Not a traditional application, but it makes a dish that's para chupar los dedos.

If you want a recipe for the chorizo, let me know and I'll post it.

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

I want! RecipeGullet that sucker, Barb!

Done!

Here you are, Chris. Chorizo toluqueño Esperanza.

¡Buen provecho!

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

• 1 month later...

Dear all,

I plan on making the Tolucan Chorizo recipe (red) from Rick Bayless' Authentic Mexican today. I referenced the Diccionario Enciclopedio de la Gastronomia Mexicana by Ricardo Munoz Zurita to see if the recipe conformed to what is written there, and, at least in types of ingredients, it does almost completely.

Has anyone made this recipe? Do you have any comments about its quality (I've never been unhappy with the recipes in Bayless' book)?

Also, it is supposed to be aged for three days. I don't have a cool dry place in the house, so I was going to stuff the sausage and then let it age, in a collander over a bowl, for 3 days in the fridge. Does this seem like it would work?

Thanks for any feedback.

Alan

Dear all,

I plan on making the Tolucan Chorizo recipe (red) from Rick Bayless' Authentic Mexican today.  I referenced the Diccionario Enciclopedio de la Gastronomia Mexicana by Ricardo Munoz Zurita to see if the recipe conformed to what is written there, and, at least in types of ingredients, it does almost completely. 

Has anyone made this recipe?  Do you have any comments about its quality (I've never been unhappy with the recipes in Bayless' book)? 

Also, it is supposed to be aged for three days.  I don't have a cool dry place in the house, so I was going to stuff the sausage and then let it age, in a collander over a bowl, for 3 days in the fridge.  Does this seem like it would work?

Thanks for any feedback.

Alan

While I have not made that recipe I have made others, in particular the chorizo verde from Kennedy's book The Art Of.

I aged the chorizo in my refrigerator by hanging the links over a wooden spoon and then I tied the spoon to one of the rungs of the shelf. I had a tray beneath to catch drips. It worked perfectly and they looked awfully cute dangling there.

While I have not made that recipe I have made others, in particular the chorizo verde from Kennedy's book The Art Of.

I aged the chorizo in my refrigerator by hanging the links over a wooden spoon and then I tied the spoon to one of the rungs of the shelf.  I had a tray beneath to catch drips. It worked perfectly and they looked awfully cute dangling there.

Great idea.

Here is something I was wondering, though: Could I age the sausage in a colander over a bowl before stuffing it in the casings? Bayless gives this alternate method for a sausage with no casing, but couldn't it still be used if one were going to put the meat into the casings after the aging? That might be easier for me since I don't have much space in my fridge, but I wouldn't want the flavor to be sacraficed for some unforseen reason. Any thoughts? Maybe it would be harder to pack the sausage with less liquid?

Alan

• 3 months later...

I can not wait to try Barb's recipe. Nothing makes me happier than a good Chorizo/Egg/Potato burrito with salsa. I could eat one every day for breakfast for the rest of my life. Its about time I try and make my own chorizo.