• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The answer: The Dunk Mug

the Dunk Mug :wink: Is this not a great idea??

Biscuit.org

"Dunking" is a time honoured tradition amongst the working and lower class, although mistakenly frowned upon by some. ....

1. Select your plunge-pot carefully: The size of the pot ...

2. Always use a saucer under your mug/cup: If the biscuit is large ...

3. Select your dunk-juice carefully: A good starting point is always to use tea with milk in it.

4. Select your biscuit carefully: It is vitally important ...

5. Select your company carefully: The right company can make or break your dunking experience...

The thought of dunking a biscotti or a cookie in a liquid hot drink has long appealed to many ... so, upon viewing the clever and very utilitarian Dunk Mug, it made me reflect upon what things people are likely to dunk ...

I like to dunk cookies in milk and biscotti into tea or coffee ...

and you? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Madeleines into my hot chocolate...yum!

That mug is hilarious - it reminds me of the kind of objects combining the everyday with elegant, functional design that you see for sale at the MoMA store. Wonder if this will be the next addition to the collection? :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

My Mummy told me that ladies don't dunk, so I don't. Ever. (Except for biscotti, which are made to be dunked.)

I do all kinds of things that my mother told me ladies don't do, but she was right on dunking: it's nasty.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I absolutely love the taste of a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie, still warm and oozing from the oven, soaked with just enough fresh cold milk to make the cookie a little bit soft. Sometimes I do this with doughnuts. :wink:

I absolutely love the taste of a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie, still warm and oozing from the oven, soaked with just enough fresh cold milk to make the cookie a little bit soft. Sometimes I do this with doughnuts. :wink:

Dear Melissa: Why?

That fresh from the oven cookie has its own lovely texture, likewise a reasonably freah doughnut? Why does dunking improve either? A biscotto or a Holland Rusk -- the dry, twice-cooked things are meant to be dunked --ok by me. But" "a warm and oozing" fresh from the oven goody? Whuffo? Milk or coffee on the side, please.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I've seen one of those dunk mugs before, but with my accident prone track history & lack of gross motor skills, I would probably always end up with cookies in my lap! I don't think I have proper dunking technique, too, since whatever I dunk always disintegrates before it gets to my mouth. xD

Aside from biscotti I don't dunk either. The sludge at the bottom of the cup is unappetizing. I prefer to take a bite of the cookie (or what have you) and then take a sip of the beverage. My husband, however, loves to dunk, be it a cookie, doughnut or basketball. :rolleyes:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Almost any cookie, but the all time favorites are definitely gingersnaps, grahm crackers, and almost any chocolate cookie.

As to why dunk a chocolate chip cookie - well, yes, a freshly-baked oozing chocolate chip cookie does have a texture and quality all its own, but so does a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie dunked in milk. :rolleyes:

BTW nice glasses, Gifted. :cool:

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

My mom used to make a steamed, eggy cake that my brother and I loved to dunk into milk...until the day we got in into our heads that the bits that fell in the glass would make a great milk shake. So we proceeded to soak an entire piece of cake in our glasses. Bad, bad idea. What resulted was, as you would expect, a gross, soggy mess that we didn't want to consume. But alas, our sister came into the kitchen and made us drink this concoction. Somehow, many years later, she managed to conveniently forget the incident, but my brother and I still shudder at the thought of that cake.

Having said that, I've recovered somewhat, and enjoy dunking cookies in my milk, coffee, or vin santo. But just a little. Still shudder at the sight of the sludge at the bottom though.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Oh, come on: even a six-second dunk with a fresh Oreo is gonna leave some of that brown dusty crumb floating on the top like an oil spill. Or do you only dunk with your cookies in cheesecloth? :wink:

You don't? :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

No No No the image of my grandmothers tea mug with a crumby oil slick from dunking her toast is burned into my brain....I leave the room when my husband dunks.

One day I saw the owner of a lunch counter dump a bag of mini choc chip cookies in a glass of milk and eat them with an iced tea spoon...(RUN AWAY)

sorry, continue

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

No No No the image of my grandmothers tea mug with a crumby oil slick from dunking her toast is burned into my brain....

Another long lost relative appears! :laugh: You must have known my (and every other Jewish kid's) grandmother ... :hmmm:

No No No the image of my grandmothers tea mug with a crumby oil slick from dunking her toast is burned into my brain....I leave the room when my husband dunks.

One day I saw the owner of a lunch counter dump a bag of mini choc chip cookies in a glass of milk and eat them with an iced tea spoon...(RUN AWAY)

sorry, continue

t

I love this thread! I had no idea people had such strong, visceral feelings about dunking. I was always taught that it was vaguely impolite, but never knew it grossed so many people out!

I feel the same way about chewing gum...narsty. :laugh:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I just witnessed a rather new take on dunking this morning. Yesterday a friend from the East who is visiting, had brought a box of tulumba, a sweet made of an eggy dough that is pumped out in short lengths into hot oil, and when done is dunked in syrup. Lovely, like a sweet sponge, crispy on the outside, diabetes and heart disease provoking on the inside. We were drinking our morning coffee, and instead of putting sugar in, he just took a whole tulumba and plopped it into his cup. (They are about 2 1/2 inches long.) After it had sat a bit, he fished it out with the spoon and made a single mouthful of it, a shiny dribble of coffee escaping down his chin. :blink:

Good thing Emily Post had the day off...

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria