• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Detox Foods?

Tkrup

Any suggestions as to how I can wean myself off sugar?

Hallie,

This is a painful but sure-fire way to kill sugar cravings. No weaning, but possibly some whining:

No sugar or high-glycemic starches for 1 solid week, preferably 2. Best way to figure out what's not allowed is to search online for the Atkins Induction phase and follow that. After about 5-8 days depending on your body, you will just not crave sweet stuff any more.... but during that phase you're sworn off sugar, starch, fruit, milk, grains, etc. I ate a lot of salads, cheese, and nuts when I did it. And also salads with cheese and nuts. :biggrin:

I know about the holiday sugar thing, I'm in the same situation. Cookies! Mmmm, cookies....

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Any suggestions as to how I can wean myself off sugar?

Hallie,

This is a painful but sure-fire way to kill sugar cravings. No weaning, but possibly some whining:

No sugar or high-glycemic starches for 1 solid week, preferably 2. Best way to figure out what's not allowed is to search online for the Atkins Induction phase and follow that. After about 5-8 days depending on your body, you will just not crave sweet stuff any more.... but during that phase you're sworn off sugar, starch, fruit, milk, grains, etc. I ate a lot of salads, cheese, and nuts when I did it. And also salads with cheese and nuts. :biggrin:

I know about the holiday sugar thing, I'm in the same situation. Cookies! Mmmm, cookies....

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

Thanks for the advice, though giving up starch sounds too much like the fatal combination of dieting and giving up smoking at the same time. I have cut back on sugar considerably already - though still tempted by these evil things lurking around my kitchen. I usually just stick to sugar in my coffee, fruit and the odd biscuit/cookie. This is how I manage to keep the balance right so I can indulge when its worth indulging, rather than just packing myself full of junk on a daily basis . One has to live a little, no?

Michael, you're so right. Rice gruel, Teochew(chiu chow, jiao zhou)-style, watery, grainy, basically tasteless, if not for the side-dishes, is really good detox food. This is what we had after the season's excesses. Dishes are Teochew Ark (Duck) with hard-boiled eggs, Soya Sauce Tofu and Giam Chye (Salted Veg).

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah