• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Detox Foods?

Tkrup

Well, it's been another holiday season of great tasting, artery clogging food. I made Japanese green tea and scallop rice for dinner this evening, but I think the amount of stuff we wolfed (and gulped) down over the last week may give us cause for at least three or four days of "detox foods".

This is a call to my fellow gulleteers...what do you use to turn back the effects of butter, cheese, porkfat, and refined sugar?

I can get almost any ingredients if I feel like driving for a few minutes, and I'm willing to eat almost anything, so don't hold back with the suggestions!!

Happy New Year!!

Lots of tea. Dark greens are good for the liver. Tomatoes, apples, broth soups, and other water-filled things to flush out toxins.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Popcorn and blanched kale suppers.

5 mile recovery runs

High fiber, highly nutritious vegetables

Fruit. Lots of raw or barely blanched stuff.

Incidentally, left-over Christmas cranberry relish (the raw stuff) fits excellently into that mold.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

5 mile recovery runs

I would need a recovery from your 5 mile recovery runs!!!

I do lots of green tea, mugicha (barley tea), water, fruits & veggies. I tend to stay away from the sweets and the heavy foods. Also lots of yoga, stretching & aikido. :D

Berry and banana smoothies with toasted wheat germ and bee pollen. No sugar or dairy added.

Lots of rich, homemade vegetable stock/broth with as many hot chilis as you can handle. No salt added.

Lots of baked sweet potatoes and many cups of ginger tea.

Oh, and lots of cranberry juice. I used to buy unsweetened cranberry juice and add honey. I do love my bee products! :smile:

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Definitely agree with the liquids and teas, and would emphasize the chilis--a nice beany chili with lots of tomatoes (whatever variety) can pack a ton of fiber, protein, and vitamins without fat. I especially like this because my need for post-holiday detox doesn't always coincide with my desire to eat light (esp in winter).

Gallons of water, ibuprofen, and champagne. I keep feeling as if I'm having a relapse of the cold that started last week, and it seems the liquor has antiseptic properties.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

I never did get how people could drink alchohol after new years...I look at a bottle of wine or champagne the day after and cringe!

Sounds as if you blow your entire year's liquor budget on New Years! You have to budget yourself and build up your strength all year long. :wink:

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

I'm so looking forward to healthy eating after 3 weeks of indulgence. The problem is that a.) I seem to have developed a holiday addiction to sugary things I usually never eat (huge amounts of chocolate, Christmas biscuits, Christmas cake, crystallised fruit, etc.) and b.) most of this stuff is still lurking in some form around my house. Solving the second problem is much more straight forward to the first (but throwing it all away just seems so cruel - yet that German stollen will fell me at every turn if it's still in my kitchen by next week). Any suggestions as to how I can wean myself off sugar?

Things I'm going to make this week:

-warm salad of spinach, mixed beans and tuna (with balasmic vinegar and red onions - no oil)

-small piece of cod baked in foil with tomatoes, olives, basil and lemon

- sweet potato and butternut squash soup (made w/o oil or dairy but with fresh chicken stock)

- something hearty and healthy in my new (Christmas gift)slow cooking crock pot (any suggestions?)

Going to the gym at least 3 times this week. Banning alcohol. One vice: coffee (though no more than 2 cups - a girl's got to be bad sometimes...)

How long does it usually take people before they fall off the waggon again?

When I have leftovers that are tempting me, I put them in the back of the freezer, including a box of chocolates and a loaf of christmas bread I made.

I make my vegetable low fat soup, eat salads and lean protein and cut back on the white carbs.

Also, for some reason, this time of year makes me want to clean house like a fool, so that's burning up some calories for sure! Yesterday I cleaned my baseboards.

I also have my main meal at lunchtime and cut back on dinner and stop snacking at night.

I know, eaiser said than done!

Still drinking wine however. But no beer and no hard stuff. :hmmm:

---------------------------------------

Adjusting a morning routine

Homeade spicy virgin marys.

Tea over coffee. Bitter greens.

But the dinners continue...I can't seem to stop them. Last night was wild mushroom stuffed quail with a fried quail egg and chicken liver mousse and yukon gold gnocci with braised shortrib, prosecco and amarone to drink.

Drink maker, heart taker!

Cranberry juice. In fact, if i can get some cranberry juice concentrate I'll usually spike the juice with a little kicker. Also, lots of sparkling and still water.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Detox already? :shock:

Tomorrow is Epiphany, the last day of Christmas for much of the world, BUT

Ethiopians celebrate the day AFTER, Saturday, January 7.

No more cookies? Really? :sad:

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Any responsible Doctor will tell you that the idea of a Detox is absolute nonsense-and please remember that too much water is really quite dangerous.

I don't belive in detox but it is nonsense to think that too much water intake is detrimental to one's health.

Any gynecologist, gastroenterologists, urologists will reccomend at least 3 litres of water as dayly intake without any harmful effects

Of course one should eat too but some people take things to extremes

Edited by piazzola (log)

Any responsible Doctor will tell you that the idea of a Detox is absolute nonsense-and please remember that too much water is really quite dangerous.

I don't belive in detox but it is nonsense to think that too much water intake is detrimental to one's health.

Any gynecologist, gastroenterologists, urologists will reccomend at least 3 litres of water as dayly intake without any harmful effects

Of course one should eat too but some people take things to extremes

Drinking too much water is called hyponatremia. Rare, but it does occur.

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Hyponatremia is virtually unheard of in the non-athletic world. If you have a diet that is normal in salt levels but don't do things like sweating it out for several hours a day, you will almost never see it (unless you're in a hospital being attended to by a dunderhead resident).

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

My use of the word "rare" is equal to "virtually unheard of" and "almost never." :smile:

Hyponatremia is also a risk associated with anorexia and bulimics when they "water load." But this is OT, so 'nuff said.

Twin Peaks