• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The push for 'Lobster Rights'

Siren

Lobster's rights campaign picks up steam

In the United States, Whole Foods Market, the nation's leading natural food supermarket chain, recently announced that it intends to discontinue the sale of live lobsters next summer unless it finds a humane way to transport and store them.

"We are viewing the lobster as a live creature rather than a commodity that deserves no concern," said John Mackey, co-founder and CEO of Whole Foods Market.

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

So long as they're still alive, they've been treated well enough for my standards. They're aquatic BUGS. How many neurons do they have?

If the new lobster protocol results in tastier lobsters, then I'm all for it. If not, I couldn't care less.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

These animal rights activists are a bit too overboard (or maybe that is where they should be cast, overboard that is) on some of the issues like this. They should look at the bright side, shipping them lives lets them live a llittle longer than they would otherwise.

Frankly I won't care if Whole Foods stops carrying them as typically when I buy lobster I'll go down to Oakland Chinatown to get them. I'd certainly bet the chineese markets won't cave in to these idiots lobbying for the Lobsters.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Tens of thousands of children die every day from starvation or easily preventable nutrition-related diseases, and they're campaigning for crustaceans... If nothing else, at least try to stay within your own biological family, or at least find a mammal to worry about.

Am I the only one to suspect that people like this suffer from some kinda Birgitte Bardot-syndrome, in that they're just too much of a nutcase to get along with other human beings, and so they prefer the company of animals?

My idea of compassionate treatment for lobsters:

Mr. Lobster last night:

gallery_2_4_42604.jpg

What was left of him, this evening:

gallery_2_4_7635.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

while they're at it, do they intend to make all their nimrod customers sign pledges to humanely exterminate said lobsters? will they be giving demonstrations in lobster lobotomies, which really is the only "humane" way to off the little buggers (vs., say, boiling them too slowly in a pot that's not big or hot enough)?

it's all good for them to want better treatment of their living end products, but so long as the slaughter is left up to the end consumers, it's a sorta lost cause.

Hate to admit to a bit of cruelty in my heart, but think for a second. What would the lobster do to you, given the opportunity?

I like the big, tough rubber bands. I like them very much.

If Wall Mart had made this announcement everyone would be protesting how greedy corporate America is tyrying to dictate our tastes?

Whole Foods Market can get away with it, of course, because they're so much smarter and more sophisticated than us.

SB (It has something to do with nuance, I think?) :blink:

PS: I hear you can now buy Nascar brand live lobsters in some areas!

While I'm no great fan of Martha Stewart's recipes, I have to admit that I appreciate her method for boiling live lobsters: When you bring a lobster pot full of water to the boil, she recommends throwing a shot of vodka into the pot because "If YOU were going to be boiled alive wouldn't YOU want a drink, too?"

That's as far as I am willing to go to accommodate a lobster, or crab, or whatever.

While I'm no great fan of Martha Stewart's recipes, I have to admit that I appreciate her method for boiling live lobsters:  When you bring a lobster pot full of water to the boil, she recommends throwing a shot of vodka into the pot because "If YOU were going to be boiled alive wouldn't YOU want a drink, too?"

That's as far as I am wiling to go to accommodate a lobster, or crab, or whatever.

I made the Rhubard Crumble from the new "Martha Stewart Baking Handbook" last night and it was the hit of the New Years Eve repast. But to the point, whatever one's position is on Martha, this story is rather endearing, and rings true -- she does love her animals. I doubt it does much for the lobsters, but it's the thought that counts. Happy lives and less painful deaths is what I want for my protein. Give that hog some likker before his throat gets slit! Slip those crabs a mickey.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

First of all, totally agree with all of the above. Just wanted to add that this is just another dopey marketing ploy on their part. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain since their regular customers probably don't give a damn either way and it's just a way to add to their customer base by appealing to those out there who actually lose sleep over this issue. Brilliant.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

You know, if you die and are reincarnated as a lobster, wouldn't you want to be humanely treated?

Respect for all things, animal and vegetable, is not an apprehensible characteristic in humans. Even if you are going to eat the "insect of the sea" you might as well be thankful for it's feeding of you, and treat it well before it gets in your stomach.

I'm not a bleeding heart, and I am a pesca-vegetarian, but it is not idiocy to respect animals.

Something tells me that there sales report shows that Lobsters arent a big seller.. That the tank is a hassle to clean and to operate.. And its a lot cheaper and easier to kill the bugs and freeze em until however many months down the road, some unlucky customer want to buy a lobster tail.. The day a corporation starts changing its policies based on the treatment of those poor lobsters.. Pah Leeze..

I have an idea.. Why dont they hire a team of lobster psychologists and have them do an exhaustive study finding out the way the lobsters are most comfortable.. They should perhaps construct a tank that mimicks there natural environment.. But not a small tank, but a huge one like they have at SeaWorld..Build aqua ducts to bring in fresh seawater that constantly is being added to the tank... This would be even more humane then freezing.. And instead of serving them to customers, let each customer adopt a lobster and let them feed it and send out huge color pictures albums tracking there lobsters progress..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Something tells me that there sales report shows that Lobsters arent a big seller.. That the tank is a hassle to clean and to operate.. And its a lot cheaper and easier to kill the bugs and freeze em until however many months down the road, some unlucky customer want to buy a lobster tail..  .

Yep, I think this is closer to the truth. Lobster tanks are a huge PITA and god forbid they break down overnight. I still can't eat lobster bisque at most places.

I have an idea.. Why dont they hire a team of lobster psychologists and have them do an exhaustive study finding out the way the lobsters are most comfortable.. They should perhaps construct a tank that mimicks there natural environment.. But not a small tank, but a huge one like they have at SeaWorld..Build aqua ducts to bring in fresh seawater that constantly is being added to the tank... This would be even more humane then freezing.. And instead of serving them to customers, let each customer adopt a lobster and let them feed it and send out huge color pictures albums tracking there lobsters progress..

Ooh! Great idea. I'll name mine "Pinchy," and maybe they'll let me put on a tank and go in to play with him until he dies of old age.

I recommend the chapter titled "A Brief Time Line of the Lobster in America," page 42, The Areas of My Expertise.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

You know, if you die and are reincarnated as a lobster, wouldn't you want to be humanely treated? 

What I want, in either human or crustacean incarnation, and what I can realisticly expect, are two different things.

SB (expects lobsters to be lobsterely treated?) :blink:

When I worked at the restaurant last night, I dispatched 75 live lobsters. Of course I thought about what I was doing, but it didn't cause a problem for me. The lobsters were killed very quickly (put head-first into boiling water) and were being served to diners who appreciated them very much. Pretty good 'end' for a bug, if you ask me.

Edited by vogelap (log)

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

OKAY these animal rights people are getting way out of hand!!!!! First, they started pestering foie gras manufacturers in California, then tried banning( still is ) the selling of it here in Chicago.....and now LOBSTERS???? This is exceptionally ridiculous!!! Obviously these people need to get a life for crying out loud. Know what, as a matter of fact, I'll eat lobster tonight just for the hell of it! ughhhhhh makes me mad :angry:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Since, according to Alton Brown, lobsters are one step ahead of cockroaches on the evolutionary scale, how long before we see a campaign to defend cockroaches from exterminators and heavy boots? Sorry but I don't think many lobsters die of old age in the ocean. I suspect that they, like many of us, live lives of quiet desperation, and meet a gory end.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

well, cockaroaches don't have the PR team that lobsters do.. but, then again, I'm speaking from an extremely biased standpoint because I'm sitting in Maine.

Perhaps this is more of an issue of the more zealot animal rights people running out of things to save...

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

First of all, totally agree with all of the above.  Just wanted to add that this is just another dopey marketing ploy on their part.  They have nothing to lose and everything to gain since their regular customers probably don't give a damn either way and it's just a way to add to their customer base by appealing to those out there who actually lose sleep over this issue.  Brilliant.

Just a thought - people who actually lose sleep over this probably won't be buying the lobsters. I mean, I see the point of free-range, organic chicken - we're talking about treatment over a longer timespan, and it does make tastier chicken - but concerns over how lobsters are treated just before they die? You're going to cook the thing alive, man! If you're down with that, are you really worried about the tank it's in?

Just wondering who they think this "marketing ploy" will appeal to...

I'm not a bleeding heart, and I am a pesca-vegetarian, but it is not idiocy to respect animals.

Absolutely - which is why I treat every animal I eat with respect, and why you should, say, try to use every piece of the animal for some true purpose. And, also, why you should try not to pretend that an animal is something it's not.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

First of all, totally agree with all of the above.  Just wanted to add that this is just another dopey marketing ploy on their part.  They have nothing to lose and everything to gain since their regular customers probably don't give a damn either way and it's just a way to add to their customer base by appealing to those out there who actually lose sleep over this issue.  Brilliant.

Just a thought - people who actually lose sleep over this probably won't be buying the lobsters. I mean, I see the point of free-range, organic chicken - we're talking about treatment over a longer timespan, and it does make tastier chicken - but concerns over how lobsters are treated just before they die? You're going to cook the thing alive, man! If you're down with that, are you really worried about the tank it's in?

Just wondering who they think this "marketing ploy" will appeal to...

Absolutely - which is why I treat every animal I eat with respect, and why you should, say, try to use every piece of the animal for some true purpose. And, also, why you should try not to pretend that an animal is something it's not.

I'm not sure exactly who those folks are either Megan. But in the very competitive, low profit margin world of supermarkets, perhaps management felt it couldn't hurt to give the "appearance" of caring about lobsters. What's scary is that according to the article above which sparked this, as usual, lobsters are just a starting point; there are movements afoot to extend this "concern" to the steaming of crabs and crayfish, with the suggestion that these crustaceans be sold dead and raw. Ugh.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!