• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barolo & Italian wine question

CtznCane

Barolo has become increasingly expensive and in order to make it more International (drinkable sooner) modernists have arrived. So, you have traditionalists, modernests, and those producers who have mixed elements from each camp. To boot, the grape is very variable. Adjoining plots can produce different wines. Barolo also is more subject to bottle variation than any other wine in my experience. So, the best advice is general- to learn about wine, drink wine. Try as many as you can afford. Don't overlook another Piedmont wine called Dolcetto. Many people get the mistaken impression that it will be sweet. Not so. It is affordable; it's taste varies by producer, and is worth a try.

Barolo has become increasingly expensive and in order to make it more International (drinkable sooner) modernists have arrived. So, you have traditionalists, modernests, and those producers who have mixed elements from each camp. To boot, the grape is very variable. Adjoining plots can produce different wines. Barolo also is more subject to bottle variation than any other wine in my experience. So, the best advice is general- to learn about wine, drink wine. Try as many as you can afford. Don't overlook another Piedmont wine called Dolcetto. Many people get the mistaken impression that it will be sweet. Not so. It is affordable; it's taste varies by producer, and is worth a try.

And also Barbera.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

The boston globe recently (2 weeks ago) did a piece on a Barolo.

Apparently this vineyard is just outside the DOC, but it is supposedly quite good.

Renato Ratti

Nebbiolo d'Alba

Ochetti

$20.00 US

At 20 bucks it's worth a shot. If not, well, you can always say "hell, what did you expect for 20 bucks!!!???"

I am a big fan of Italina wines and have not found a Barolo I like for under $50.00 and the ones I realy like for over $70.00. So I don't drint them that often. Italian Red's can be very expensive compared to the rest of the world today.

One Barolo that got a 92 from WS, for whatever it's worth, and is fairly reasonable is Damilano Barolo. 30 bucks here in NJ. When I tested it alone I thought it was very nice. When tasted after the $$$ models it really lacked luster.

Another Italian wine that my California friends often like is Nero D' Avelo from Sicily. A good one to try is Firriato Chiaramonte Nero D'avola.

Enjoy.

Zachys.com has some real values.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.