• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alcoholica Esoterica: The Culture of Drinking

Allen

I'm about half way through and finding it entertaining.

It's a funny, lightheared, and irreverent, read. Mostly about alcohol history and culture. If you're looking for recipes, it has none (so far).

Lots of alcohol related quotes from literature and many famous alcoh... Errr... DRINKERS. Yeah, "drinkers," that's the word.

Short biographies and several quotes for especially noteworthy imbibers like Humphrey Bogart, Winston Churchill, and W.C. Fields.

I find the historical notes about the different sorts of alcohol entertaining and informative, though, as the author states in the introduction, he is no historian.

I wouldn't base a thesis around it; but, if you are looking for an entertaining and conversation starting book about booze and its history around the world, you could do a lot worse.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA