• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

baked alaska questions

tan319

The question is...

Can I fully finish it ( with piped meringue decor wise or just spackle it and pipe it at service.

Any advice ( the quicker the better) most appreciated.

Not life or death but curious.

Happy New year to all

2317/5000

We have them fully prepped and ready to go for service. Just slap onto the plate and into the oven.

Devin

That's what I ended up doing, devinf, thanks for your input!

Much appreciated.

2317/5000

too funny.........I had baked alaska on my menu last night too.....

Yeah.....

I did it 5 years ago now at my 1st chef gig here in NM, with a Cointreau Ice cream and made my Italian Meringue in a massive quanity in a Hobart only to see it slowly start to lose it over service and people wouldn't stop ordering it!!!

I had to 86 it.

This time, I did meringue in more manageable quanities ( plus this altitude thing screws up sugar temps sort of),put an Alaska together ran a prototype, froze it, and in the late morning, found there was no loss of quality and ran with it.

I used the Bau classic Almond sponge for the cake layer and it ruled!

I suppose it's almost like a joconde?

Hazelnut syrup to wet it down and vanilla, chocolate ice creams with a passion fruit sorbet ( to sex it up) as the filling.

Plus regular menu too.

Worked from 5AM to 5PM yesterday alone.

Also had a big truffle assortment, 5 flavors.

Been really inspired by that 'Way to Cook' book.

Happy New Year to you, Wendy, hope it went well!

PS: I was messing with cakes all week for the 'Alaska and I also did the Bau 'Financier' like sponge with chocolate ( no butter) and that cake was excellent too!

It's a weird looking recipe, very liquid, just almond flour & cornstarch but it cooks & eats very nicely.

2317/5000

• 2 months later...

Thinking of putting a berry Baked Alaska on my new menu, so to make sure I am reading this correctly, I can make up an Italian meringue recipe, pipe it on, and freeze until I get an order, then just toss in the oven or blow torch?

Also, does it have to be Italian meringue or can it be a straight meringue? I would think Italian would hold up better, but common meringue is so much easier.

Thanks

Jason

• 14 years later...

This came up when I was looking for old cooking booklets and saw the image in the 50s Betty Crocker cookbook. . I babysat a "brainiac" girl - the kind who the PA system announces all Ivy acceptances. She chose this as our project.  It was so fun and is perhaps a "forgotten" dessert or maybe more in the grouping like cherries jubilee, bananas Foster, souffles etc. Anyone played recently? Most people do not know what I am talking about when I mention it. 

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

• Like 2

My mother used to make baked Alaska.  This was in the early '50's.  I confess I have never tried it.  I think the trick is to insulate the ice cream.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I don't think I've ever made Baked Alaska, but I remember my mother and sister making "Grapefruit Alaska" when I was 10 or 11.  The base of each serving was a grapefruit half, cut across the equator, with the ice cream and the meringue on top. It worked well, and our family was fascinated by the fact that the ice cream didn't melt.

I don't remember what we thought of the combination of ice cream and grapefruit, though. Since we/they only made it once, our family probably thought those flavors were better kept separate. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I don't think I've ever made Baked Alaska, but I remember my mother and sister making "Grapefruit Alaska" when I was 10 or 11.  The base of each serving was a grapefruit half, cut across the equator, with the ice cream and the meringue on top. It worked well, and our family was fascinated by the fact that the ice cream didn't melt.

I don't remember what we thought of the combination of ice cream and grapefruit, though. Since we/they only made it once, our family probably thought those flavors were better kept separate. :) 

Kinda like who thought up the grapefruit halved, broiled after a sprinkle of sugar, and finished with a maraschino cherry half! Saw that in same book as the Baked Alaska.

• Like 1

@heidih, you certainly brought back memories.  My Aunt Polly, a "home economics" (as it was called then) teacher, and I made that recipe from that same cookbook as our first "gourmet" effort together.  I learned so much at her side over the years.  I can still remember finding a proper wooden board to hold the baked Alaska, soaking it in water so that it wouldn't burn, then putting the dessert into the oven, never believing for one second that the ice cream wouldn't melt.  Guests were in awe--and so were the bakers!

• Like 6

Absolutely remember Baked Alaska...when I was experimenting with cooking as a kid, my Mother let me make one for dessert when she had some friends over. So much fun!

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 9:18 PM, heidih said:

This came up when I was looking for old cooking booklets and saw the image in the 50s Betty Crocker cookbook. . I babysat a "brainiac" girl - the kind who the PA system announces all Ivy acceptances. She chose this as our project.  It was so fun and is perhaps a "forgotten" dessert or maybe more in the grouping like cherries jubilee, bananas Foster, souffles etc. Anyone played recently? Most people do not know what I am talking about when I mention it. 

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

Heidi, you must be psychic. Look what turned up in my mail this month!

20201206_102533.jpeg

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 year later...
On 11/24/2020 at 8:18 PM, heidih said:

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

This is exactly the recipe I copied and printed out for my 10 year old granddaughter, and which we used this afternoon for our "Christmas Day (instead of dinner) Baked Alaska party".     She has been begging to make one (and I had no intention of cooking a second holiday meal), so they came over after lunch and she made this.    I was dubious, but it turned out astoundingly well and was delicious to boot.    She was ecstatic and flushed with praise.

145248098_ScreenShot2021-12-25at5_57_39PM.png.63a39c91edf150ff8f6ac6c4c88d9cdb.png

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

37 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This is exactly the recipe I copied and printed out for my 10 year old granddaughter, and which we used this afternoon for our "Christmas Day (instead of dinner) Baked Alaska party".     She has been begging to make one (and I had no intention of cooking a second holiday meal), so they came over after lunch and she made this.    I was dubious, but it turned out astoundingly well and was delicious to boot.    She was ecstatic and flushed with praise.

145248098_ScreenShot2021-12-25at5_57_39PM.png.63a39c91edf150ff8f6ac6c4c88d9cdb.png

Today turned out wonderfully with long visit from dear friend and surprise visit from my son. Your post put it over the top. Thank you!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1