• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bok choy

BigDuck

A few years ago, a (Chinese) friend threw a pile of baby bok choy into the final stages of an otherwise traditional shrimp boil (shrimp, steamed outdoors with beer, onions, and a very liberal dose of Old Bay Seasoning). He has never been able to do a shrimp boil since without the bok choy, it was that good--really.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have a quick idea for me? I have several bunches of baby bok choy (or here it's also called Mei Qing Choy) and need to serve it for dinner tomorrow. Trouble is, the entire rest of the meal is non-Asian food, and I'm reluctant to bring Asian flavors into this particular meal And the guests are vegetarians. I'm a bit at my wits' end. I've thought of lightly blanching the leaves, then rolling them around some sort of stuffing - that would be great with a shrimp/pork filling, but for the life of me I can't come up with a non-Asian vegetarian version. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone have a quick idea for me?  I have several bunches of baby bok choy (or here it's also called Mei Qing Choy) and need to serve it for dinner tomorrow.  Trouble is, the entire rest of the meal is non-Asian food, and I'm reluctant to bring Asian flavors into this particular meal  And the guests are vegetarians.  I'm a bit at my wits' end.  I've thought of lightly blanching the leaves, then rolling them around some sort of stuffing - that would be great with a shrimp/pork filling, but for the life of me I can't come up with a non-Asian vegetarian version.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

I've never tried using it in a non-Asian recipe but I could imagine cooking it and chopping it up to add to a veggie lasagna. (I frequently add swiss chard to my lasagna.)

Maybe look around for some cabbage or swiss chard recipes.

jayne

Does anyone have a quick idea for me?  I have several bunches of baby bok choy (or here it's also called Mei Qing Choy) and need to serve it for dinner tomorrow.  Trouble is, the entire rest of the meal is non-Asian food, and I'm reluctant to bring Asian flavors into this particular meal  And the guests are vegetarians.  I'm a bit at my wits' end.  I've thought of lightly blanching the leaves, then rolling them around some sort of stuffing - that would be great with a shrimp/pork filling, but for the life of me I can't come up with a non-Asian vegetarian version.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

I think you could do a nice non-Asian stuffing for those with some combination of mushrooms, a grain/bread item, plus appropriate binders and (non-Asian) seasonings. Maybe make a little mushroom risotto (assuming your guests do dairy), or polenta with mushrooms. (Mushrooms are one of my go-to items for vegetarian cooking.)

Why not treat it like grape leaves, then, and make a Mediterranean-inspired filling of rice or orzo pilaf?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

And of course if you want to keep it simple, just sautee them in extra virgin olive oil with garlic, as you would do with spinach, swiss chard or any other type of green, leafy vegetable, and serve them as a contorno.

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks, guys. Those are all along the lines I've been thinking, although chicken broth and schmaltz are definitely out. I hate to waste the beauty of the little things by chopping them. I've been imagining chopping the stems and stuffing the leaves, spearing them with a toothpick and then steaming them, but then it gets all Asian again. I'm also thinking of some sort of frittata, where I could blanch and shock the choy, then arrange it in some beautiful pattern, add the egg, cook, and then hopefully turn it out with the choy-pattern intact. I'd better figure it out in the next three hours, though, so if any more brilliant inspiration strikes, have at it, please!

A traditional Shanghaiese way of preparing this type of bok choy is smother it with shitake mushrooms rather than quick stir fried. Another classic Shanghaiese dish is "vegetable rice"; just chop and steam it with rice.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how to get all the grit off the bok choy plants WITHOUT separating it into leaves? I am trying to replicate a dim-sum dish that serves them whole with a glistening coating. Of course they are VERY small plants and of course, the restaurant version has no grit.

I've tried washing them like leeks, ie, by gently opening it and swishing water in there, but it does not seem to work very well and the plant does fall apart often.

Thanks for any ideas (and maybe the recipe???? :rolleyes: )

Does anyone know how to get all the grit off the bok choy plants WITHOUT separating it into leaves? I am trying to replicate a dim-sum dish that serves them whole with a glistening coating. Of course they are VERY small plants and of course, the restaurant version has no grit.

I've tried washing them like leeks, ie, by gently opening it and swishing water in there, but it does not seem to work very well and the plant does fall apart often.

Thanks for any ideas (and maybe the recipe????  :rolleyes:  )

Try soaking the bok choy in a sink full of cold water for at least 30 minutes, then rinse each plant under cold running water, or use the sprayer on your sink to remove any grit that is still lodged in the creases.

These plants are tender and don't require much cooking time. You can do a quick blanching, plate, then ladel lightly thicken rich stock over them. Or, heat up some oil in the pan, add chopped garlic and slivers of ginger, and toss in the bok choy for a gentle stir to coat before serving.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Soaking and shaking. Then rinse under running water :raz:

These kinds of vegetables are very common. They can be added as a compliment to a main dish. (e.g Beef Noodle soup)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

The small ones can be a pain to clean, I've found grit (and bugs) inside even after careful soaking and rinsing.

If I get a very dirty batch, I often cut them in half lengthwise, which makes them much easier to clean and reduces cooking time. I'll then usually braise them cut side down. No recipe, just a bit of chix stock, maybe a shot of soy, some sliced shallot and ginger, lid on until cooked. If you plate them cut side down, nap a little of the braising liquid on top, it all looks pretty. Or brush w/oil if you really want them to glisten.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Soaking and shaking. Then rinse under running water :raz:

These kinds of vegetables are very common. They can be added as a compliment to a main dish. (e.g Beef Noodle soup)

For the record, here is my latest experience: soaked the plants and shook them. Then spinned them in a salad spinner. No plant was larger than 4 inches.

Braised them in a covered frying pan in veg broth and a bit of veg oil until they were tender (had too much liquid, so it did not evaporate as I expected). Added a splash of soy sauce and some pepper. I was hoping for a glistening finish, which did not relly happen. The grit was not noticeable, though!

Thanks for everyone's help. I can now work on the sauce...

[...] I was hoping for a glistening finish, which did not relly happen. The grit was not noticeable, though!

I think the glistening comes from oil. Typically, in restaurants, after branching the vegetables (to slightly undercooked) are tossed in a hot wok with some oil coated.

Or you can use a squeegee bottle to squirt some sesame oil on top of the vegetables.

• 2 months later...

I have a habit of soaking vegetables (and strawberries too) in cold salted water to get rid of the sand and grits. It's something that I learn from my mom and aunts. Perhaps something about the saltiness of the water helps to draw out the dirt???

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

I have a habit of soaking vegetables (and strawberries too) in cold salted water to get rid of the sand and grits. It's something that I learn from my mom and aunts. Perhaps something about the saltiness of the water helps to draw out the dirt???

The salt is to kill any bugs still alive on the plants.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

...so that their dead and lifeless wormy bodies can float up and away from the veg. Yup, I hate surprises of the creepy kind in my veg.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

...so that their dead and lifeless wormy bodies can float up and away from the veg. Yup, I hate surprises of the creepy kind in my veg.

But just think of the added protein!

I find it easier to peel off each leave of the baby bok choy and use the thumb to rub off the sand near the bottom, rinse it under a running faucet or give it a good shake in a water basin. The restaurants don't usually peel of the leaves for aesthetic reasons. They typically cut a baby bok choy in halves or in quarters. But the sand usually get trapped near the stem.

• 3 months later...