• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Condiment theft

Fresser

Anyway, nothing makes those little cocktail sausage things like Arby's sauce. I got to know my local Arby's manager, brought in a jar and he filled it for me. Damn. Now I have to have an Arby's.  :biggrin:

:blink:

:shock:

That... is... brilliant!!

Lesfen's "to do" list:

1. Make friends with an Arby's Manager. Do what you must.

2. Buy Lil' Smokies and toothpicks.

3. Get rid of husband and child for the evening.

When I have served this at parties, I have been begged for the recipe. I was too embarrassed to confess. And I am normally generous with recipe sharing.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 1 year later...

Next step in the Condiment Theft dragnet: sugar packets. Many McDonald's locations no longer offer sugar packets, but rather dispense sugar and artificial sweeteners into single-serve cups which they then offer to customers. They say it's part of their "Coffee--Customized" campaign, but the cynic in me knows the truth: McD is tired of ham-fisted customers pocketing sugar not for their coffee, but for their cupboards.

Just the other day, I saw a 60-ish gent grab a literal fistful of straws from the self-serve tray at McDonald's. He must have crammed fifty straws into his grubby little mitt, which he then insouciantly stuffed into his pockets. Were anyone to have confronted him, he surely would have replied indignantly, "I'm a customer!" No, pal--you're a mooch.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Oh, I dunno. Lots of times when I travel, I'll be in a hotel that gives you a coffeemaker and coffee and sugar and those damned yellow packets, but not the pink Sweet n Low, so I'll pocket a few for the room when I stop somewhere for something even if I'm not having their coffee. I know, it's Grand Theft Sweetner and they ought to throw me in the slammer. But what I'm usually buying is some upscale pastries for the room, and though I don't need a rationale to steal a few Sweet n Low packets, I figure that if I'm buying twelve dollars worth of muffins or pastries for a late night snack, I can help myself to a few S n L packets. Or I'll order an iced tea with my lunch somewhere and take a handful of them.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I understand McDonald's concern regarding people helping themselves to too many condiments. But the McDonald's near me are so darn cheap. When you order Chicken McNuggets they will not give you sauce unless you ask. And if you order the larger size, you have to practically beg for a second one.

A waitress I know who worked at a diner told me that many older people ask for ketchup packets despite there being ketchup bottles on every table. They do this so they can take the packets home. This waitress used to ask these people why they were requesting packets when there was a bottle right there on the table. She knew why, but asked in order to hear what excuses they would come up with. She was told that the ketchup takes too long to come out of the bottle, the ketchup tastes better out of the packet (even though it was the same brand), the person was afraid that she would drop the bottle, breaking it, packets are easier to deal with, etc.

John the hot dog guy

Maybe they ought to have a separate case of ketchup packets without a helpful little cut to get the opening going. At least moochers will have to deal with a little frustration for each packet they get. Maybe they'll even lose a tooth gnawing through one!

The trainees can get a little out of hand. One wouldn't give me a spoon when I asked for one for my float (sorry if that's not the proper way to eat a float, but that's how I roll). The worst I could manage was an exasperated "FINE" with an eye-roll. Didn't call the manager or anything (pushover!)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Please don't hate me!

If you ever see me tucking sugar packets into my purse, please note that I'm only taking two (or four if they've also got raw sugar in packets) and I'm not adding any to my coffee/tea, which I prefer unsweetened. I don't steal Splenda or Sweet n Lo.

I've got a nice collection of emptied sugar packets from restaurants in the US, from my few trips out the country (restaurants, airlines, hotels, trains), and some from friends who save them for me after eating out with me and witnessing my little habit.

I don't know what I'm going to do with all of them. Hmm, maybe I should get a few frames and display them in the still-undecorated kitchen!

If anyone else has ideas for what to do with them, I'd appreciate a PM.

Also, I'm not seeking donations or trades of sugar packets bc I prefer procuring them myself from places I have actually been to, but if you or someone you know collects them, I'd be happy to send you a few that might be hard to find - like from Pakistan.

:)

Edited by sun (log)

Please don't hate me!

If you ever see me tucking sugar packets into my purse, please note that I'm only taking two (or four if they've also got raw sugar in packets) and I'm not adding any to my coffee/tea, which I prefer unsweetened.  I don't steal Splenda or Sweet n Lo.

I've got a nice collection of emptied sugar packets from restaurants in the US, from my few trips out the country (restaurants, airlines, hotels, trains), and some from friends who save them for me after eating out with me and witnessing my little habit.

I don't know what I'm going to do with all of them.  Hmm, maybe I should get a few frames and display them in the still-undecorated kitchen! 

If anyone else has ideas for what to do with them, I'd appreciate a PM. 

Also, I'm not seeking donations or trades of sugar packets bc I prefer procuring them myself from places I have actually been to, but if you or someone you know collects them, I'd be happy to send you a few that might be hard to find - like from Pakistan.

:)

You want sugar stick packets from Korea? :smile:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Ever heard of the Ghetto Latte?

Order a large house coffee or Americano at Starbucks, go to the condiment bar and empty out half of your coffee and fill it with milk.

Ghetto Latte for about 1.00-1.50 cheaper!!

( I dont do this, I dont drink coffee, I just read about it somewhere)

Starbucks doesnt care either, they say " The condiment bar is for the customers"

Having worked both sides of the counter I cringe whenever some zoned out counter person reaches down a puts a hand full of ketchup packets in the bag. Seems to happen a lot at White Castle.

Then again I could always whip up a batch of Horn and Hardart Tomato soup. I'm think it was ketchup bottles back then rather than packets. Some hot water from the tea urn and some splats of ketchup produced a tolerable soup that helped those down on their luck get through a cold New York evening.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Compared to everyone here, I feel like I should be locked up and giving a flogging with a wet noodle or something...

I am a horrible, horrible condiment theif.

While living in Las Vegas, I would routinely steal bottles of brown mustard from Stage Deli at Cesar's and I once stole a bottle of HP sauce from the Crown and Anchor pub. those are the biggies.. my main klepto moment is blackberry jam.. I LOVE those little packets of blackberry jam and would take them whenever I saw them!

Oh and the Grand Lux at the Luxor carries Maman jams in these cute little ginham tubes.. I couldn't resist relieving them of a little bucket full.

But I am reformed! Since I have been in Chicago, I have not stolen ANYTHING... not even a sweet n low packet!

Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

Order a large house coffee or Americano at Starbucks, go to the condiment bar and empty out half of your coffee and fill it with milk. 

There's something worse-- I don't frequent Starbucks so I haven't seen this, but my friends were hysterical about people who just have empty cups (I'm not sure if they had hot water with them or if they had to ask), then load them up on the "condiment" counter with chocolate, creamer, and sugar for an absolutely free "hot chocolate." Yeesh!

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Ghetto Latte for about 1.00-1.50 cheaper!!

( I dont do this, I dont drink coffee, I just read about it somewhere)

Starbucks doesnt care either, they say " The condiment bar is for the customers"

I do something similar at Starbucks and Peets, only I just dump out 1/4 of the coffee. At Starbucks it's to get enough milk and sugar in it to kill the "burnt" flavor. At Peets, it's to dilute it a bit because their brew is too strong for me.

Cheryl